Academy 1/72 F-4J "Showtime 100"

Having recently returned to modelling after many years my first couple of builds were of nice clean shiny display aircraft (Red Arrows Hawk and Yellowjacks Gnat). I thought it was time to get out of my comfort zone and tackle something a bit more 'operational', so picked up Academy's new 1/72 F-4J.

23980014216_1f8cd2a399_c.jpg

20151227_Acad_72_F-4J-4.jpg by Simon Bradshaw, on Flickr

Build pretty much OOB, except that the loadout is amended to reflect what the aircraft was carrying on its final mission on 10th May 1972, when Cunningham and Driscoll became the US Navy's only aces of the Vietnam War. Changes from the basic kit were as follows:

- 6 x iron bombs replaced with 4 x Rockeye CBU (Eduard)
- No wing tanks, just pylons
- 2 rather than 4 x AIM-7E Sparrow, carried in rear wells

The pylon was moulded as part of the wing tank, but it was easy to use a scriber to part it free. I also added seat upper handles by using the parts left over from the Airfix Gnat after I'd used the cockpit detailing set on that. Pitot tubes are metal tubing because the original ones, moulded onto the fin, are very easily knocked off. (Ahem.)

23638238509_23a9171482_c.jpg

20151227_Acad_72_F-4J-11.jpg by Simon Bradshaw, on Flickr

Despite being sold as 'snap together' the kit is very detailed, with nice fine engraved lines and a comprehensive decal sheet (although the registration on mine wasn't too great). Nonetheless it was a bit of a learning curve for me in terms of trying to do a 'proper' build and both the bare metal areas and the canopy could have been a lot better. I also wish I'd had the chance to read the build article on this kit in the latest Airfix Model World as there are some very useful hints and tips there I could have done with!

23980027746_4868fc9594_c.jpg

20151227_Acad_72_F-4J-15.jpg by Simon Bradshaw, on Flickr

This was my first attempt at pre-shading and weathering and I'm tolerably happy with the outcome. Photos seem to show that the original aircraft didn't have excessive panel delineation anyway although the wings could have come out better; the lines could probably have done with deepening a bit first. I also probably underdid the dirt on the underside, but I thought better to be cautious than go overboard.

I'd certainly recommend this kit. You could put it together quickly without painting or glue and with the supplied stickers and get an OK desk model of a Phantom, but it's very amenable to traditional modelling as well. There's a minor error in the instructions but it's pretty obvious as you'll wonder why you have bits of the cockpit left over. I found a corrected version of the manual here and there don't seem to be any other errors other than that sometimes the wrong sprue is referred to (albeit with the right part number and again it's very obvious what the mistake is). The decal guide is very comprehensive but printed rather small and some of the smaller decals are little more than dots on it with not much clue as to which way up they go. Also, Academy seem less forthcoming than, say, Airfix as to information on painting detail parts and if I built this again I'd try to get hold of a decent photo-reference book.

23379309733_de6dfe6502_c.jpg

20151227_Acad_72_F-4J-8.jpg by Simon Bradshaw, on Flickr

Overall though a nice kit and despite the 'snap-together' description it's definitely a proper model kit and not a toy. I'm more than a bit tempted to get another, learn from my experience this time round, and do it as an F-4J(UK).

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Hello,MajorClanger - Welcome back to the noble art of 'Fettling!' A phine subject you've chosen fo share with us too! I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work.The weathering is commendably subtle and restrained.She is a resplendent tribute to the type.All the best,Paul.