Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line

kpnuts

I think the hull shape of the Thermopylae is correct. According to the experts the Soleil's hull is not big enough underwater to keep the ship from turning turtle.. If you take a close look there is an amazingly small amount of ship under the waterline. Didn't let this bother me when I was building her, just enjoyed the look of the ship :winkgrin::coolio:

Yep that's why I removed the moulded plimsole line I intend to do the waterline upto the first gunwhale (should help the proportion of her.

Thanks Bernd glad you like it.

• Like 3

Hi all here is the next update, 12 of the lower deck cannons, not done much detail work on the carriages as they wont be seen, and done some of the deck furniture, next job to drill the holes out for the gun door ropes( that is going to take some time 104 guns X 2 208 holes then I have to try and think of a way to make the rings for the gun port doors for the ropes to go through.

OkKJeKe.jpg

blrjN81.jpg

GA2jb15.jpg

vlzkE09.jpg

hxKiAVk.jpg

• Like 6

Good luck with the drilling. Might I suggest doing a few holes each session? The reason I say this is that I drilled all the portholes in a Revell Great Eastern kit I have and ended up with a ginormous blister on the palm of my hand.

Martin

Just read this build log from the beginning, not the best start when opening the kit box for the first time :D, so glad its sorted and you now have a port and a starboard half of the hull!

The build since then looks fabulous, this has the makings of a really stunning classic sailing ship in due course, I'll keep watching with interest.

Excellent work KP.

The gig for the gun hatch ropes is a good one lol.

I know you have done the ropes, but a good Idea is to use aluminium or brass rods for the hatch's,(they are much more robust).

But if you use the rope method, then leave the gun hatch's till later in the build,ie- when you come to the rigging.

With so many hatch's, there will be damage.

:popcorn: Keep it coming mate.

foxy :coolio:

Hi all here is tonights bit, I've corrected another flaw of this kit There is a big gap in the knee of the head (which according to the experts would not hold the weight of the head and should have been filled with carvings of some sort ) here is the gap

P3UsBfR.jpg

and (since i'm no carver her is my fix, I know its not very elaborate but it fills the hole)

nriOEe9.jpg

yCm6SRa.jpg

CfEYFtQ.jpg

• Like 4

Absolutely brilliant work - there's a lot gone on since I last checked in and its looking really impressive so far.

I don't know the story behind this ship but did the British fill it with holes and put it on the seabed?

Keep up the great work there

I don't know the story behind this ship but did the British fill it with holes and put it on the seabed?

Yes, but only after we had been given a kicking by the French at Beachy Head in 1690. She was eventually destroyed at Cherbourg by English fireships. A crazy time- the French fleet was commanded by the English King James II...!

Will

Yes, but only after we had been given a kicking by the French at Beachy Head in 1690. She was eventually destroyed at Cherbourg by English fireships. A crazy time- the French fleet was commanded by the English King James II...!

Will

Cheers Will