Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line

kpnuts

Stop doing yourself down. You are dong fine and will continue to do fine and I am sure the likes of Foxy will offer advice if things get a bit difficult.

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, the rest of the cannons are fully visible so I've decided to try and detail them a bit more, there is no wood grain moulded in the plastic sides so I've scratched some lightly with my knife and tried painting and using pastels to get an wood effect, not worked as well as I'd liked but better than nothing, and when they are installed you probably won't even notice anyway.

mjlkyg.jpg

30jtiy9.jpg

1zeli03.jpg

• Like 8

That's the way of things KP, you can detail all you like but most will be hidden.

But you know its there and should feel proud that you have done it matey.

There's no hurry so think about it, and if you have any questions, fire away.

That's what this forum is about,' getting idea's'.

You can pinch from others doing projects that are with in your sphere.

Cracking work so far.

foxy :coolio:

• Like 1

Hi all these cannons are a bit tedious but I've done a bit more, not happy with them, they still don't look very realistic (each one is less than 1/2 an inch long, well the carriage is anyway), so I can't do much with them but I'm wondering weather the decking from the 1/72 revell flower class corvette would look good stuck on and stained what do you think.

nfl1eu.jpg

nzqfs0.jpg

e85wub.jpg

• Like 6

It's dead simple.....Start with a pale base (anything from desert yellow through to flesh). Give the painted parts a good coat of Klear. Squirt a dot of Burnt Sienna oil onto a pallette. Apply tiny (and I do mean tiny) dots of raw oil paint to the parts with a cocktail stick concentrating them in areas where you want the strongest grain effect. Drag the dots out using a slightly tatty brush that has been very slightly moistened with thinners. Repeat as needed, optionally using other colours. Remember to add a coat of Klear between layers so you don't destroy what you've already done. :coolio:

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hi all well i know I've not touched this for a while, Pam just snapped the fore mast, apparently she was just getting the dog a treat  (the bag with the treats in was on the table with the kit) my fault entirely, she is so upset I'm more cross she even tried to, that's what I'm here for to get stuff, trouble is she thinks because she can make it to the loo and make a cuppa she can do anything, I love her to bits and can't wait for her to get better. Anyway when I do get back on this that will be the first thing for me to takle. 

• Like 1

I can empathise with you. I had a similar problem with Gill when she had her heart scare a couple of months ago. The doctor signs her off work for a bit, telling her to take it easy, her work tell her to take it easy, the hospital tells to take it easy, I tell her to take it east and to ask if she needs anything and what does she do? The second she starts feeling a bit better, she tries to go running around like nothing has happened, wonders why she is struggling and is even more surprised when I get cross!

I'm sure that a brass pin will sort your mast out.

Martian

• 3 weeks later...

Funnily enough I got it out yesterday with the intention of doing a bit but just have so many things in the air at the moment and Mike is hassling me to start the ww1 dio (he still thinks I could have it done for Xmas, fat chance of that)

• 3 months later...
Right after some good advice I may well get started back on this, I've just bought these 3 books 

JwLl4iY.jpg

So hopefully after a good read the rigging won't be sooooo scarey.
  • Like 1

Thanks very much the wasa  is also one I started, if you follow airfix instructions you will have a beautiful ship but totally inaccurate she was not blue and gold, there are other inaccuracies as well, the basic kit is good but if you Google images you can create a more accurate model.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all guess what, it was bound to happen a guy on another forum just contacted me. He bought this kit in an auction for a bargain price, after seeing this build and guess what he has 2 of the same hull pices, luckily for him theyre starbord so i will be sending him my spare half. Whoever bought it first obviously gave up on heller so put it up for auction to try and recupe some money.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Hi all guess what, it was bound to happen a guy on another forum just contacted me. He bought this kit in an auction for a bargain price, after seeing this build and guess what he has 2 of the same hull pices, luckily for him theyre starbord so i will be sending him my spare half. Whoever bought it first obviously gave up on heller so put it up for auction to try and recupe some money.

Why does all this not surprise me?

Martian

• 5 months later...
Hi all well I'm back on this but with a change of attack, it's now going to be a water line model, I didn't like the ships boats on the deck (take up too much space and I don't believe the ship would have operated like that) so it will be towed along side something like this.
IMG_20170806_30941790347670.jpg
IMG_20170806_23805606540139.jpg
IMG_20170806_171062104736532.jpg
  • Like 6