Roden Bristol Britannia 1/144

MiGFan79

As a change from my usual glacially slow output of Phantoms and big Soviet interceptors, i'm going with this from my xmas box -

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/BLUEX5/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1997_zpsez6gwjns.jpg~original

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/BLUEX5/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1998_zpstensikjo.jpg~original

Plan is to build the Boscombe Down aircraft using 26Decals sheet.

Despite the minimal locating lugs the plastic looks fairly decent.

I wanted to do a Lightning but i have a queue of 1/48 things awaiting paint and i'd like to do something i might finish in the group build period...

• Like 1

The Britannia is such a beautiful shape it deserves some attention. Nice choice of subject and particularly so in the Boscombe Down colours.

I love the kit decals (BOAC speedbird) but fancied doing something a bit different, i'd love to do the forthcoming VC10 in BOAC livery though.

I love the kit decals (BOAC speedbird) but fancied doing something a bit different, i'd love to do the forthcoming VC10 in BOAC livery though.

Think that VC-10 will prove to be a popular kit around this forum and with UK modellers in general. BOAC livery is still one of the nicest in my opinion; a true classic.

Right, managed to make a start. I've deviated from the instructions order of service and started on the wings. I need to check some sources regarding window configuration before i build the fuselage.
image_zpspsu61h9p.jpeg

Wing halves are located by a step on the wing tip and two locating pins. Clean up is hindered by the three sprue gates on the leading edge but nothing a bit of sanding stick action can't sort.
image_zpsihdradhg.jpeg
Fit is reasonable but you do end up with a slight step on the nacelles which needs attention. The plastic is very soft and tends to tear under duress of the Olfa cutter which makes recreating the panel lines tricky, my first attempt was a bit trench like so i deposited some Mr Surfacer to soften them.
image_zpsfm8c7vwh.jpeg
Having test fitted the fuselage halves there is a fit issue.The two halves are located by just two pins, however if located by these the two halves end up out of register "front to back". I removed the pins and lined the halves up manually which gives much better seams but i see much drama ahead!!!!
image_zps2v5qc3gj.jpeg
Really need the decals to arrive so I can ascertain window layout before pointing a tube of filler at the fueslage.

Moved things on a little this weekend.

Received decals from 26Decals (for this build as well as various other airliner projects in the stash!)

D27FEE39-030C-4E75-8289-9F9E73B6D325_zps

Installed the glazing strips. I'm going to use decals for all the windows but it makes filling much easier!

31FBB2BA-D99B-487C-B6E8-79AC9ACCD6DF_zps

Fit of the window units was a bit poor in places, you'd struggle if you wanted to keep the glazing clear and achieve a good fit....

E9AAB459-7C85-4C15-96C0-D29C6EA2543F_zps

2 or 3 go arounds with Mr Surfacer and the sanding stick and the windows are reasonably well blended into the fuselage.

Then the tricky bit, as I had mentioned in my initial post the fuselage halves seemed slightly "off kilter" when put together on the two locating pins. As discussed I decided to cut them off and align everything manually.

AD20BCD0-760A-4A3E-A73E-0E659729FB6C_zps

Actually this didn't go as badly as i predicted, I started at the nose end (as that is where any misalignment will have the most cosmetic impact and then worked back, taping and gluing small areas at a time.

After a bit of sanding stick action and micromesh it actually looks pretty good.

554F8DFF-F30E-4DC4-B3E6-E35CE7814A01_zps

There are a few panel lines to rescribe but easy stuff, then I need to glue the cockpit glazing section in and blend it into the fuselage. Overall I've quite enjoyed it upto this point!

I see what you mean about those windows. Not much of an option as clear parts without considerable modification to the thickness of the fuselage mouldings and polishing at least.

• Like 1

I see what you mean about those windows. Not much of an option as clear parts without considerable modification to the thickness of the fuselage mouldings and polishing at least.

Hi Col.

I solved the window issue by scraping out the recess and sanding it with a small piece of wet and dry attached to a length of 6mm square spruce. This allows the glazing parts to protrude very slightly above the fuselage surface when fixed in position. The glazing actually fitted extremely well and only needed a slight sanding to bring it completely flush leaving no gaps to be filled.

I will be using the excellent masking set for the Britannia currently available from 26 Decals which I can highly recommend.

Sorry to deviate from the original thread but thought it might be worth trying.

It's a very good kit and I'm following the threads with great interest.

Chris.

• Like 1

Hi Col.

I solved the window issue by scraping out the recess and sanding it with a small piece of wet and dry attached to a length of 6mm square spruce. This allows the glazing parts to protrude very slightly above the fuselage surface when fixed in position. The glazing actually fitted extremely well and only needed a slight sanding to bring it completely flush leaving no gaps to be filled.

I will be using the excellent masking set for the Britannia currently available from 26 Decals which I can highly recommend.

Sorry to deviate from the original thread but thought it might be worth trying.

It's a very good kit and I'm following the threads with great interest.

Chris.

I did consider going down the mask route but after the issues i had fitting the glazing i'm glad i didn't. To be honest it was just the most rearward set of windows that refused to seat properly, and you're right, a bit of fettling of the fuselage recess is propbably all it needs. I fitted the cockpit glazing earlier, had to shape it slightly to match the top of the fuselage once glued in place but the actual joint is very good. As i'm using decals i filed off the frame detail and polished it up. Just a few lines to rescribe and i can think about gluing the wings and tail. Agree it's a good kit, i've test fitted another example which had far better fuselage alignment than mine so it's just bad luck on my part.

Those rear windows were a bit of a fiddle, you're right

I separated the last couple and fitted them individually to help with the double curvature which has worked a treat.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Chris.

Few (mainly) pleasant evenings sticking bits on and blending the cockpit bubble into the fuselage.

F167EDB4-51F5-4459-95B2-99921CA26E5D_zps

0A73B6B1-F5EE-49A9-89A4-8C2326FFE51F_zps

Getting towards primer stage now, but it's not really the weather for wafting paint about!!! Can really appreciate the aesthetics of the beast now though, such a pleasing design.

• Like 3