1:48/1:50 figures needed

bhouse

I'm in the early stages of planning an airport diorama and for reasons too complicated to mention, I need to include Bob Marley and the Wailers (1974 lineup) in the scene - as passengers, not performers...

I have this Preiser set which would obviously need a substantial amount of reworking. Does anyone know of a more appropriate jumping-off point?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll bear it in mind! At the moment is not so much a wip as a series of (mostly failed) abstract experiments. And the Preiser surgery going on would probably be banned under any reasonable system of censorship.

Just an idea but, for the dreads, perhaps using the overcut from plastic strip? When I cut plastic sheet I find that there is ridge along the cut edge; when it is cut away it forms ringlets, perhaps these could be used. See the description and images below.

First cut a piece of plastic strip into two pieces. If you run your finger along the edge that has been cut, you should feel a slight ridge.
curlies_1_800.jpg

Using a sharp flat-bladed knife or chisel, run the blade along the ridge and it should come away and curl into ringlet shapes
curlies_4_800.jpg

A few of these cut at different lengths and glued together might give you something like dreads.
curlies_5_800.jpg

I use this method for making the coiled cables on military radios.

Mike

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I usually make them out of a softer putty, like super sculpy or alike as it's the stuff I mainly work in. But on this particular figure I made them out of Pro Create ( similar to green stuff ).

gau_preview_6copyaq6su.jpg

gau_preview_7copylqwfz.jpg

The way I did them was quite simple actually, you roll a little sausage with the desired thickness, and with a hard bristle brush you just poke it gently until the surface has a roughed up look. apply it gently and eventually rwork the squished parts with the same brush. Do one by one and there you should have perfectly dready dreadlocks. The figure shown is at 1:32 scale, should work just fine at 1:48 too, just need to do thinner sausages. If you are going to use green stuff, make sure you knead it trough really well and it gets warm, don't let it set and start right away as it will be at its softest point like that and should take the brush poke texturing best. After that you can let it rest for a while so the texture doesn't get lost when applying it to the head. The paint in the end will make all the difference.

Edited by matiwashere
  • Like 1