Dremel Multitool - Use or ornament ?

Richard E

Probably a good idea to find a dremel that isn't too large.

Never a problem if you have FlexiShaft. The one under the link is Proxxon, I'm pretty sure Dremel has something like this too.

I must admit I has never had any problem with the size or weight of Micromot so felt no need for FlexiShaft

I have a cordless one and a flexi-drive. I can't say I have used it much for modelling, more like stuff around the house.

I would say that I don't use it that much, a few times a year but when I do need it it seems to be the only tool for the job.

If you have ever churned up a reluctant rusted cross-head screw and you are thinking how the how do I get that out - dremel with cutting disk, cut a slot in the head, job's a good un.

Modelling - plenty on my radio controlled planes but not really much on plastic modelling. The only thing that springs to mind is when I have chucked a part (like sidewinder or sparrow missiles) and spun it slowly to paint coloured rings.

I'd class it as, you don't need very often but when you do it's brilliant.

Cheers,

Nigel

I had occasion to use my Dremel last night - needed to modify some rectangular brass tube to make a former for seat belt buckles. I'd still be filing if I hadn't used the cutting disk to rough the shape out.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly it looks like my old Expo has been clobbered at some time during its thirty year lay up and is no longer straight. Means I'll need to buy something else and it will probably be a Dremel. Sort of jobs I need it for are things like hollowing out the torsos of 1/35 figures to fit Hornet heads or to cut away surplus material on 1/48 aircraft or 1/35 vehicles.

There are many Dremels to choose from - which would you recommend?

TIA

Matthew

I've got two :smartass: A Li-Ion cordless one for slow work and when a cord would be a pain, and a 3000 with a cord that's semi-permanently mounted into a drill press. I've also got a 90o attachment, grout remover and so many heads that I don't know what to do with some of them! I can heartily recommend the proper chucks for them though, as they mean you don't have to faff about changing the mandrel if you're putting a drill bit in.

TL;DR - yes. Very bloody useful ^_^

I bought one from a mate about twenty years ago. It's in a nice plastic box, has absolutely dozens of really nice accessories, drill bits, polishing wheels, grinding and cutting tools.

I've used it three times.

I've used it three times.

I think you have to get into the mind-set where you consider it for jobs you might not have used it for otherwise. I've found all manner of uses for mine over the years, and probably forgotten half of them! :blush:

drem is indeed far to fast for plastic. iv got an old como that i use occasionaly, tho a friend recently gave me tamiyas battery powered hand drill. its like a little walther ppk n great for drilling plastic, also goes threw resin fine. i highly recomend it.

I think you have to get into the mind-set where you consider it for jobs you might not have used it for otherwise. I've found all manner of uses for mine over the years, and probably forgotten half of them! :blush:

It's all very well to say that but I used mind to hammer a nail in once and it hasn't worked since.

• 9 months later...