Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

As always it looks great Andi. Nice Italian flag badge on the radiator.

I'm trying to come up with a method of fixing the hood hinge (a la piano hinge). I think my main problems are getting the right adhesive and ensuring that when gluing the alternate hinge tube to one side, I don't accidently stick the adjoining tube - does that make sense?

As I tend to flirt from one job to another I've now decided to use the kit plug boots as the modern boots just don't look right. My plan is to drill the boots and join them to the ignition wire with pins.

I'll post photos when I've got some completed work

so Andy it looks like the miraculously surviving 806 was left in a humid and leaky place ? the artist is writing his scenario and deciding where the light came from during all these decades...

great work and looking forward to discover more

am still far far away from home... and my bench

Edited by sharknose156

I was beginning to run out of steam on this one! However, I have made a lot of progress the last few days and will post pics tomorrow.

Steve, I had a re-think about using plug boots and decided not to - now my solution is more like yours. I made spade connectors from aluminium tube - the plug wire fitted nicely into the tube. I can't get the plug leads to 'lie' authentically, but they'll do.

Andy, I'm definitely getting withdrawal symptoms not having seen an update from you for several days now - wassup?

• Like 1

John .... saw your post last night - but was already in bed mode (it was one o'clock) so excuse me if this now seems tardy and dismissive!!! ... :winkgrin:

I am still working on the 806, although it has slowed a little, more the time of year and outdoor distractions than anything, as you know one almost feels emotionally blackmailed if the Sun should peek from behind a cloud - such that you should enjoy it (I can still hear my Mother telling me to go out and play in the Sunshine).

Also, I'm at one of those points where I'm working on a lot of the next set of sub-assemblies so that's a fairly invisible process - starting the weathering on the body which I'm only slowly feeling my way through; enjoying it though.

Every passage seems to throw up some other bright spark idea or scenario. I'll try and post a pic' or two of the radiator assembly soon ... nearly finished that so far! But that'll be about it for a while I guess??

• Like 1

Glad to hear you are still making progress Banny, I know what you mean about the plug wires, I had the same concern until I realsied that the materials used for plug leads was very different back in the 20's. Seems a plausible excuse to me anyway.

Totally agree with you about the weather Andi. The car show season is upon us and my old Triumph is seeing some Summer action. Had a lovely run out a few nights ago. Up through Bourne and Grimsthorpe and on to Corby Glen. I would have been on my own if it wasn't for the Jaguar behind me. I was pushing the GT hard and obviously the Jag could have taken me at any time. He didn't, however and when I turned right at the outskirts of Corby Glen, he honked and waved as he went by. Clearly enjoyed the spirited drive as much as me!

Anyway. I have been making some progress also. The suspension is all but done, just needs a bit of titivating and some plastic hex cutting up to replace the hideously oversized kit supplied securing nuts.

A couple of shots here to illustrate the progress. I couldn't resist the temptation to rest the body on for a bit of inspiration !

IMG_20160629_191158218_zpsmcbbc2vl.jpg

IMG_20160629_191041598_zpsokxas9ie.jpg

Atb, Steve.

• Like 5

If I needed further convincing (and I didn't) to lace the wheels, Steve your pics do it! Like you, I have almost completed the suspension, springs and all! So the main work outstanding is bonnet hinges (and after struggling I have a solution for that), the wheels (obviously) and fitting the body. Did you have a problem mounting the engine? I found that the forward mounting points are way out of position - I'll have another look this weekend.

Andi I know exactly what you mean re the weather. I can just about remember living in a Famous Five adventure every summer, dreading more and more as the new school year approached.

Typical of me - set up for photos only to find my camera battery is flat. As I am on Grand-daughter Number 4 wedding duty tomorrow so will try for Monday.

Apologies Steve for the double entendre (mounting your engine!)

• Like 1

Banny, as expected, one must be very careful when mounting ones engine !! (Imagine that sentance in Kenneth Williams voice, lol)

The instruction sheet needs to be squinted at several times before it becomes apparent that the forward engine mounting points are not what they seem.

The rear spring mount has three screws and the rear lower screw should be a longer one to go right through to the engine mount. Have another look and you will see. It really isn't clear at first !

You really know how to build up the suspense on your progress pics John. :popcorn::coolio::boom:

Atb, Steve.

I had an idea to augment the brake drums by adding some cooling vents. Many early cars had vented drums so I thought it would be a nice touch (but most probably inaccurate)

This turned out to be an example of effort not matching result. Due to the brakes and wheels all being black, the effect is almost totally lost. It can be seen but only if you look carefully.

I had only done two drums when I found this out so it looks like a feature of the front brakes only. Cooling required as the bias is usually on the front? No, hold on, these are cable operated !! Oh well, least said about this idea, the better.

IMG_20160630_201537745_zpsvjth7gbb.jpg

IMG_20160630_201553322_zpsoptbknir.jpg

I also needed to do something about those huge brass nuts supplied by Italeri for the suspension fasteners! Nice and simple, hex styrene rod of a suitable size, drilled and sliced. I think these look far better and much more in scale.

IMG_20160702_100332401_zpsyvnt7v9k.jpg

IMG_20160702_100313795_zpsshxl6vkj.jpg

Atb, Steve.

• Like 4

Triumphfan first of all very neat and beautiful work...

love the colors you chose and weathering

question : what color are your electric cables ? and what is your reference ? did you you use silk covered and oil painted them ?

many thanks !!

Sharknose, thanks for the kind comments. I used the silk covered wire sold by Prime Miniatures (0.6mm) It's painted with Humbrol enamel 103 Matt Cream.

As far as references go, with the FIAT 806 it's pretty much guess work in my opinion. I'm not aware of any pics of the engine bay so it comes down to using materials seen on contemporary machinery.

As far as references and accuracy is concerned, I burned out on that many years ago. I found it was taking all the joy out of model making, wondering if a colour was absolutely correct, whether tyre tread patterns were like the real thing. Nowdays I build what I think looks good and go for the 'look' I want rather than 100% accuracy.

Andi calls it my FIF or "*Flip* it factor " (feel free to insert alternative wording between the stars :yikes: )

All the best, Steve.

• Like 1

Nice work Steve .... good to see some movement in this thread too. Shame about those cooling vents in the drums - sounded like a great idea till you thought about - "that'll teach you"?

For myself the drums look terribly emaciated - I shall just thicken them up a bit ... make 'em a bit more manly.

• Like 1

I know this is probably a silly question (actually there is no such thing, only answers I don't know), but I my "Reply Box" is greyed out so I can't upload my pics. Anybody what am I doing wrong please?

Ahh! I found the answer to my 'greyed out' editing options. The icon top left of the post (looks like a light switch) toggles editing options on and off

OK here are a few photos of progress as promised

The things of note are the plug lead connectors which I made from aluminium tube and I used 15 amp fuse wire for the radiator hose 'clips'.

DSC00243_zpsdlalqmte.jpg

DSC00241_zpswcho66xv.jpgDSC00231_zps3ubizmkb.jpg

In the 2nd picture you can see that I can't get the plug leads to sit 'authentically', but I'll put up with it methinks.

In the 3rd picture I modified the kit wheel by adding pe strips to the wheel spokes, bound the wheel with simulated leather (I think from Hiroboy) and used a lucky find key ring for the oil screen mount.

I have a couple more photos to post later

• Like 4