Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Can anyone recommend a kit that can be purchased from the limited resources of the State pension?

Well, that's a shame because I happen to have a "Bentley" I might have let go for the right price - I do however happen to have a 1/8th Citroen Traction Avant. Only missing the engine parts ( a nominal number of the total parts count) plus it saves you the angst of burying all that detail and you can just build it closed bonnet :thumbsup: You might have to lash up the bottom of the oil pan but no biggy - I'll even chuck in some styrene sheet :winkgrin: .

Oh no does that mean we will never see you build the whole car, I know it would take you a couple of years at least, but if it turned out 1/4 as good as the engine it would be astoundingly good.

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed building this vintage car, and aesthetically I like the look of the brass components. I'm looking for my next build, but don't fancy the Bentley Blower nor the "Mefist". Can anyone recommend a kit that can be purchased from the limited resources of the State pension?

John, my build has come to a grinding halt due to too much going on in life at the moment. Had a few days off last week and couldn't get back into the kit - which for some reason I have not enjoyed from the get go. I think too many of the parts need heavy mods for my liking!

As I get older I seem to enjoy flitting from kit to kit...something I never did as a youngster. I consider it a luxury! :)

Do you like bike kits? If you want some high quality bang for your buck I recommend The 1/6 Tamiya Dax and Honda CB750f. The Honda I've just picked up new for under £50...I defy anyone to find a better engineered kit for the money!

Not the most interesting looking bike IMHO, but it will make a perfect Freddie Spencer AMA Superbike donor! :)

Edited by vontrips

In terms of 1/12 classics, I don't think there are many options. It's also the main reason I am taking time with my Bentley as once this is done, there is really nothing that I'm looking forward to.

1/16 will offer more options in the Bandai / Entex kits.

Regards,

Jeremy

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd pop these in here .......

806-54_zps6q1t68cc.jpg

806-56_zpsxw4gocfz.jpg

806-57_zpskwsfhcmu.jpg

806-55_zpsakdjlujo.jpg

806-53_zpsrx10bwt2.jpg

806-52_zpshndbnrfx.jpg

Lots to do yet, and this is just the basic premise of the weathering put in place so I can build over the top, plenty of stitching in as we go,and some gentle easing of what you see here - it's a bit of a suck it and see scenario at the minute! ................... Onwards.

• Like 5

I was just mentioning you guys to someone yesterday and talking about the group and the building and sharing of ideas. I you all have great skills that others can learn from. I hear the weather is starting to take a turn there in the UK so, I hope that you guys will all be back on the bench soon!

I love the weathering and direction that this car is going in. Great idea and and concept. You not only are building a car but a story with a mini diorama to go with it! Good to see you back!

• Like 2

OK! OK! Andi you've shamed me into getting going again. To be honest I turned to a 1/24 Sauber C9 for a bit of light relief - I've nearly completed it so will soon get back to the battle soon. I note you're now into furniture making! Lovely work Andi.

Superb work Andi. This is just as I imagined the body would look after you described the plan to me.........Only better !!

I must concur with Codger, you are the king of weathering.

I love those access steps, the wear on them is really convincing. The last photo looks like a barn find has been lifted straight out and put into a photo studio, very realistic.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

Hello guys,

I am an all new member of Britmodeller, I am french and I fell on your great forum about the Fiat 806 looking for documentation. It's the first time I sign up in a modellers forum, but I wanted to share with you, I was so impressed by such talents, in particular Andi with his incredible wheels and amazing weathering, Vontrips making casts from Pocher tyres etc. In fact, I have begun the Fiat 2 months ago and I 'm supposed to write an article about this kit in Tamiya Model Magazine french edition. I have written my first article in this TMM about the Chevy Bel Air Convertible 1957 a few months ago, published in last june/ july number (this article should appear in TMM english edition soon).

I would like to do the wheels like Andi but I don't think I will succeed. There are photos in the forum, but I'm afraid it won't be enough... First question to Andi: what do you use to make the spokes? is it copper wire? I noticed the diameter was 0,35mm.

And now a remark: on the many forums I visited (wonderful art deco setting of Kurt, lovely things from Thomas -Maysula- etc., sorry for not mentioning everyone...), I notice no one changed the radiator grill, while it is wrong (only 32 strips instead of 52). As you noticed, Italeri has a good Photoshop worker, and he added strips on the grill of the box-art, so that it looks very good. It is wrong too, with 64 strips (32 x 2...). I put my magnification to count the strips on the original (and rare!) docs, and decided to remove all the strips and make new ones made of 0,4mm steel wire. It's a big work (52 x 3 strips for the whole grill) but I consider this piece very important (as wheels..). I will soon add photos as soon as it will go on (I got the Aber steel wire today from Oupsmodel, so I just began...)

I am opened-minded to all suggestions that could help me, and hope my english is not too bad...

Best regards to all

Olivier

P.S: sorry, but, how can I join photos to my post?

• Like 2

Hello guys,

I am an all new member of Britmodeller, I am french and I fell on your great forum about the Fiat 806 looking for documentation. It's the first time I sign up in a modellers forum, but I wanted to share with you, I was so impressed by such talents, in particular Andi with his incredible wheels and amazing weathering, Vontrips making casts from Pocher tyres etc. In fact, I have begun the Fiat 2 months ago and I 'm supposed to write an article about this kit in Tamiya Model Magazine french edition. I have written my first article in this TMM about the Chevy Bel Air Convertible 1957 a few months ago, published in last june/ july number (this article should appear in TMM english edition soon).

I would like to do the wheels like Andi but I don't think I will succeed. There are photos in the forum, but I'm afraid it won't be enough... First question to Andi: what do you use to make the spokes? is it copper wire? I noticed the diameter was 0,35mm.

And now a remark: on the many forums I visited (wonderful art deco setting of Kurt, lovely things from Thomas -Maysula- etc., sorry for not mentioning everyone...), I notice no one changed the radiator grill, while it is wrong (only 32 strips instead of 52). As you noticed, Italeri has a good Photoshop worker, and he added strips on the grill of the box-art, so that it looks very good. It is wrong too, with 64 strips (32 x 2...). I put my magnification to count the strips on the original (and rare!) docs, and decided to remove all the strips and make new ones made of 0,4mm steel wire. It's a big work (52 x 3 strips for the whole grill) but I consider this piece very important (as wheels..). I will soon add photos as soon as it will go on (I got the Aber steel wire today from Oupsmodel, so I just began...)

I am opened-minded to all suggestions that could help me, and hope my english is not too bad...

Best regards to all

Olivier

P.S: sorry, but, how can I join photos to my post?

Firstly, welcome aboard Olivier!

Afraid I've not had a chance to carry on with mine for a few months, but hopefully, will be on it soon!

Yes, the grill bugs me immensely and I will be rectifying it too. Not entirely sure how I will approach it, but my plan is to fabricate the two vertical supports in metal. They will be approximately 1-1.5mm deep and be drilled for the wires. I plan to stick the strips together with double-sided tape and drill them together. I guess I'll make a flexible drill guide that I can contour to the side profile of the strips (as they are not flat). I'll draw a front elevation of the grill to give me drilling intervals for the outer grill ring. I plan to use the kit one and shave off the wire moulding detail and re-drill. Bare in mind also that the grill shape is wrong at the top! You'll see in side photos that the tight curves at the top on either side are back of top centre. Eg; in side elevation it's slightly domed, rather than flat as the kit part...hope this makes sense!? :)

You have to use an online gallery for pics and then link them to here. Currently, I'm using Photobucket (which is free - if you can live with the ads!).

Now get some pictures up...we're gagging here! :)

Edited after checking the period photos again...LOL!

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 1

Hello Vontrips!

First thanks for your fast reply and for your kind welcome.

I hope nothing wrong (health pbs or else) about you, preventing you to go on with the Fiat...

I 'd like to share photos with you but all that is new for me... I have signed up on photobucket and put photos, but I don't know how to get them in my post (sorry for my ignorance).

About the grill, personally, I cut and cement steel wires one by one, but kept the 2 vertical strips. It's a long job (15 wires/h so probably 8h approx for the whole grill). The difficult is to get regular work, it's a craft method...

As you suggested, I did not understand well your explanation about the up of the grill. Can you make a little drawing, please?

I have to leave you for now, but see you soon...

Olivier

Olivier ................ I fettled up the grill with the intention of using it as is! But every bone in my body regales at how it looks on the kit - it's just too clumsy for words. I'm thinking about simply leaving it off and going with the distressed look of the radiator and weathering - we'll see?

The spoke material is as you say 0.35mm and is nothing more than "Fly fishing line" (Ø 0.35 = 8.4kg BS).

Hurry up and post pics - if you look at the top of the reply window you'll see a picture of a little "polaroid" of a tree? ............. click it, and into that paste the URL of your picture, this is found by opening the "share" window of your desired picture

(Photobucket) and clicking on "direct" this will copy the URL and you can transfer it to the "new reply" window for pasting.

A bit long winded but that's how they do it around here ............. equally I'm very pleased you found the thread as it's very ethos was brought about by a desire allow modellers to inspire and help each other through their individual efforts and skills.

Bon chance, Mon Ami.

• Like 2

42%20calandre%20deacutenudeacutee_zpsr04photoHello Andi, Sam and all,

Thank you to Sam and Andi for their help. Now, I have understood how it works. Andi, if I understood well, you used a fishing wire for the spokes, right? In fact, I think your technic will be too complicated for me. My intention was to remove Italeri's spokes and cement new ones, more thin (0,4mm) and more... How many spokes are they/ wheel, please?

The photo joined does not need any commentary: as you can see, I have removed all the strips to make new ones: it's a long and delicate work, and my professional activity (dental surgeon) doesn't let me a lot of time, unfortunately...

The strips are from Aber, a polish brand: not expensive (3,80€ for 12 x 0,4mm steel strips of 20 cm each, much less than Mr Hobby brass tubes).

I use cyano gel and liquid to cement the strips. The most difficult is to get regular spaces between strips.

I don't regret this decision: I really didn't like the Protar/ Italeri grill (except Andi's one, amazing...), wrong.

I have to leave you now, good evening to all my british friends from Britmodeller!

Olivier

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
photo cancelled
  • Like 1

40%20gros%20plan%20de%20la%20calandre%20

P.S: on this photo, I see a steel or silver radiator grill, not black. Meanwhile, many modellers made it black, following Italeri and Protar instructions. Notice that on the box-art, the grill is not black! (and I like it like that)

All the best

Olivier

Edited by Olivier de St Raph
photo cancelled
  • Like 1

Olivier .... welcome to the thread ... and I say that with irony as you've very quickly come to realise that the deeper you delve the more your research just seems to throw up one anomaly after another. One of the reasons I chose to model mine as an eighty-year-old after the fact discovery, it just made it easier to cheat a little you see?

Re, your questions on the wheel spoking - you've picked a tough way to go about it - to my mind! ................. But the information you're after, and I believe it's prototypical, is 48 spokes to the front and 24 to the rear (of the wheel) However the rear spokes are aligned with the front spokes causing a square setting, and forcing you into "cross lacing" at the hub rear. It took me a little while to work out a method to achieve this and although it looks complicated most of the effort (apart from the working out) is in the actual wheel preparation.

I think I'll see how you get on with re-wiring your grille before I decide whether to give it a go or not ... Good luck.

dear Olivier,

Firstly, welcome and bienvenue to the Forum Olivier and thanks for posting, for the pictures and your solutions.

You will find that here there is genuine mutual support and great inspiration from true gentlemen and experts.

1. Dental surgeons make great modelers http://paulbudzik.com/

Dear All,

2. It may be that i go to Turino this sunday ( 3 hrs from my home ) to visit the new Fiat Historical Center "Centro Storico Fiat"

http://www.fcagroup.com/it-IT/group/history/Pages/centro_storico.aspx

Primarily to take pictures of the "Mephistopheles" and make final decisions about the paint job. :photo:

This car is not just a primer-airbrush routine... no sirs, no siiirriiis. :coolio::pipe:

i am really inclined to go Andy's advice he kindly posted on the 'Mef' site a while back, the old 'coach-makers' technique. .

Of course i will try to find ways to get more data on the 806 Monster for all of us, if they have.

once the Meph is finished :waiting: i will start the 806, although Andy already convinced me to rip the plastic...

As of now my trip is still unconfirmed. It is 50/50, but if i don't go this sunday i may not be able to got there before november.

Anyone has any specific wishes from there ?

( i don't mean on the food issue, rest assured i ll have a decent lunch and wine on your good health, you Gangshow guys :drink::eat: )

good night to all,

Sam

Edited by sharknose156
  • Like 1

40%20gros%20plan%20de%20la%20calandre%20

P.S: on this photo, I see a steel or silver radiator grill, not black. Meanwhile, many modellers made it black, following Italeri and Protar instructions. Notice that on the box-art, the grill is not black! (and I like it like that)

All the best

Olivier

I think you have brought up another photo retouching problem! Those grill bars may have been lightened with a stroke of a fine brush and some paynes grey gouache...do not believe any photo you see from 1890 to 1930! I'd play safe and go for gunmetal.

Not had time to do a drawing regarding the grill shape; however, your photo of the model part makes it easier to explain! You will notice the part sits flat - yes?! The surround should curve across; eg. The top centre should be one or two millimetre off the surface in that photo. Check your reference pictures and you will see the grill bars curve back in at both sides from the centre vertical supports and are not flat. :)

Edited by vontrips