Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Andi, that looks fantastic! Love the red lead primer! I wanted the do the chassis returns as bare steel with red lead overspray and have the red top coat oversprayed on that at the edges! Yes, I know it would have been brush painted, but following from Sam's Mefisto thread I can't imagine a way of emulating the effect without it looking like a badly built model!Even when you scale a jpeg of the Mefisto to actual 1/12th it looks like a child painted it! 8-S

Feel like I'm swimming through sludge with this build as it has turned into a series of experiments for me! Guess it's not a bad thing though as I'm learning stuff as I go.

What I am pleased with is my test on my first (dud) ally brake drum. This is the first attempt with the mini sanblaster...this thing would be great for adding texture to white metal castings!

IMAG2738_zpsbdqbsh1x.jpg

In all honesty, it's not unlike the finish of a grainy matt aluminium paint but it does have more life to the naked eye. I think a dark wash will give it a nice steel casting finish.

Sorry for the naff quality phone pic! In the middle of a low light thunderstorm! :)

• Like 2

Andi,

This is coming along real well ! I love all the rivet corrections, hiding the ugly screws and using the red primer. This old look is very convincing.

Andi, definitely worth looking at much more than twice !

i think your are preparing for one hell of a paint and weathering job on this one.... :nuke:

As for the front axle, don't forget VT is the laithe ace master :pipe: , so the smallest pretext is good to start the machines.. :hobbyhorse: but his results are totally spectacular ..!!

VT; this brake drum looks incredible ! totally justifies all the experimenting here and the sand blaster investment (i think someone kidded you once on that). Great stuff VT. Specially that the four drum brakes were one of the many important features on this car. On the chassis your idea sounds great.

Gentlemen, am breathless with anticipation for more.

• Like 1

More doodaddery! Still have no idea what the function of this part was, but it sure is blobby.

IMAG2740_1_zpsj4kfb3rz.jpg

Looks like it's off a Chieftan tank, rather than a racing car, so I've just spent far too long making my version. Enjoyed it though, at last! :)

• Like 1

VT: beautiful craftsmanship...you keep raising the level...

is this with operating your 'cheap' Chinese laithe or a proxxon ? or the Rolex factory ?

Edited by sharknose156
  • Like 1

Very nice work VT! I still haven't broken out my lathe yet but, I intend to start soon. I just need to figure out which cutter for which operation and sequence. Because, my band saw is in the garage with all my big tools and other workbench, I intend to begin out there. I'm still waiting on warmer weather to go out there. When I do, I'll be in touch with numerous questions, I'm sure. For now though, what material did you use to make the damper, aluminum or steel? It looks like steel but, I know 6061 aluminum is a lot easier to work with. Did you also turn the eye banjo end too? All you guys are doing great work here and it's a fun thread to watch.

Feel free to ask Wayne! Still short of some handy tools here...could really do with a decent arbor and slitting saw blades. I cut the groove on the mill using a small stone disc and a dremel arbor. Not to be recommended on a 6mm cut!!! Had to take it very easy in case the stone shattered- which they often do!

The damper is made from 6mm ally bar from my local B&Q diy store. I cuts quite well but mortified by the rough surface in the pic! Looks OK to the naked eye even with my Mr. Magoo glasses.

Got lucky with the banjo end as I had one in my spares box; think it's off the Tamiya MP4/6 from many years ago. A devil to drill out as it's a hard diecast part.

Edited by vontrips

You never know Rich. A non modeller friend of mine said he saw an Airfix Bentley sell at a automotive memorabilia auction for over a grand. He does remember that the word Airfix was never mentioned in the description though !!

I do like the look of the display box in the auction you linked.

Steve.

'Morning Y'all

Been off-line for a few days. Some great work being shown.

Rich - useful ebay link.

Am I right in identifying that the spark plugs don't have boots? As I felt I didn't have the same requisite skills as Andi, I've prototyped some simple plugs and will post some photos tomorrow. I've also got some wip for the floor using wooden model ship deck strips - I quite like the look..

Andi - I feel really guilty that after making my wheel-lacing jig, I keep looking at it and then find something else to work on. I must knuckle down and start cutting.

Hi Banny,

Of course this is pure speculation, but generally boots weren't too common during this period. Plugs often had a brass cap for the lead to screw down onto using a brass nut. Plugs often had a shorter ceramic insulator so looked dumpier.

Having said all that the only near reference I've found is below. This comes up under a search for Fiat race engines of that period. Note, it's vaguely one half of the 806 engine.

If you zoom in, you can just see the leads going across the head at 45 degrees. The cable appears to have a 90 bend as if it has a small boot!

Bordino11_zpsqeqj1ta3.jpg

Edited by vontrips

Thanks VT, like I said as soon as the weather gets warmer and I can get back out to the garage I will be contacting you. The whole last week has been nothing but gloomy rainy weather; I feel like I live in Seattle! Nice progress by all and I'm looking forward to more updates. BTW, just how many of you are in this build, 4 or 5?

'Morning Y'all

Been off-line for a few days. Some great work being shown.

Rich - useful ebay link.

Am I right in identifying that the spark plugs don't have boots? As I felt I didn't have the same requisite skills as Andi, I've prototyped some simple plugs and will post some photos tomorrow. I've also got some wip for the floor using wooden model ship deck strips - I quite like the look..

Andi - I feel really guilty that after making my wheel-lacing jig, I keep looking at it and then find something else to work on. I must knuckle down and start cutting.

Banny, don't leave the lacing too long as it is all too easy to forget what the teacher said !!