Fiat 806 -"Gangshow"- build album.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the lack of update. I've finished up this kit and posted it under the Ready For Inspection Section.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999634-italeri-112-fiat-806/#entry2305514

DSC_0466.jpg

If you look at the picture of the hood, the front springs locking the hood into place seems too front forward. This results in the attachments having to twist forward. A simple solution would be to drill the hole on the hood further back, but i did not do so as it meant having to repaint.

Regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

A really nice clean build Jeremy .... congratulations on being the first over the finish line. I'll wander over to "Inspections" and have a good look at what and how you've done.

........................ :goodjob:

Andy,

Always time for an art debate. Am glad you took time to enjoy the pictures. To me they seem even more fascinating as art pieces with these natural 'wrinkles', colored and all, mixing with plants and books even.

Being also a huge fan of Art Deco and its clear lines and multi-tone influence on the plastic of cars, furniture, clothes and many more. Between us, am very happy to have been born in the late 50's, i wish even a little earlier to enjoy a bit of this style. Its beauty seems more evident with hindsight.

Enjoy your 'visual stitching in' thats the most fun part...and looking forward to see it and enjoy it as well.

I think the lack of visual references and information on this car gives good creative license. Imagine the Schneider Trophy guys repairing this unique car's body and engine the night of the race... with certainly not much spare parts on hand... who knows.

This week end, i am going to strip the chrome of the 806 parts. But in Switzerland we don t have too many domestic products to do this ... :shutup:

all the best,

Sam

Edited by sharknose156

Jeremy, good job, clean and neat. Thanks for the tip.

Am thinking on keeping mine striped of paint and make it 'aluminium' at its experimental stage before the 'permitted' race. Still playing with the idea. The challenge will be to keep it clean of scratches before painting :banghead: . on the other hand, the red makes it more 'wild' and 'beastly' as it must have been.

Lovely job Jeremy, that's a credit to Italeri right there...better than their box art example! What red did you finally use?

Another Art Deco fan here - been obsessed with it from an early age. Started buying Bakelite antiques at 12; much to my parents horror! Even named my first company as a tribute to The Bauhaus.

One of my 30s creations; a Sterling silver spoon with ebony inlay inspired by Pontiac:

1937PontiacChiefSpoonSterlingSil-1.jpg

1937PontiacChiefSpoonSterlingSilver.jpg

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 3

Thanks for the compliments.

Vontrips, the colour I used was Mr.Hobby Super Italian red over a light grey primer. It was then given 3 coats of semi-gloss to knock down the shine.

Sam, i think a bare metal finish one will look nice and really different.

I took quite some time to get the racing numbers on the bonnet right. Decals supplied wouldn't have worked and the masks supplied wasn't flexible enough to go over that area. So i had to cut out tamiya masking tape and used it instead. Even then, there was quite a lot of bleeding of the white. I then masked the white and resprayed the red, and then finally touched up the white again.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable fun build and i'm glad to have my 2nd ever car kit finished.

Regards,

Jeremy

Wolfgang Von Trips ; beautiful piece of art ! did you do a complete service and for 12 ?

LOL...no! Have thought about a single set though. The handle was cast but the bowl was beaten out of sheet. Lot of work as it was my introduction to silversmithing!

• Like 1

A bit of progress on my build, wheels are almost done just need to add some air valves and the knock-offs are waiting a coat of Alclad.

WP_20160325_001_zps1uhlnmpz.jpg

Chassis is taking shape. I need to buy some paint now so a trip to Halfords is on the cards, the size of this beast will warrant rattle can application instead of my usual airbrush finish.

The chassis has gone together reasonably well and looks straight and true. The clutch pedal position was a bit confusing but a mock up dry fit sorted it out.

WP_20160325_003_zpsdps9c8i5.jpg

Engine wise, the basic block and some plumbing is together, painting is going to be done in a layered fashion with base coats of different metallic hues applied and then washes and dry brushing to pop the detail. The spark plugs are in progress and I am going to add resin bolt heads to the cam covers.

The floor is pretty much oob including the brass etch "wood". I decided to have a go at painting it and was pretty happy at the way it has turned out. Only addition is a bit of card on the U pipe as the top seemed a bit plain.

WP_20160325_002_zpsxumetspl.jpg

Steve.

• Like 3

Resin bolts to the cam covers hey? ................. Well, get you! So gone are the days when this would be well past your FIF, kind of getting all swept along a bit aren't we?

Teasing ... of course. :evil_laugh:

Seriously, great progress Steve, I'm still not convinced about that floor - will probably make an on the spot decision when the time comes. The wheels look great and as discussed those logo's/legends done in amber look far more period correct.

I wish you'd taken the engine from a little more to the front as I'm curious as to how you've solved some of the plumbing problems, also the front of the heads. I can see you've worked them up but can't fully grasp to what level.

So all in all it's really good to see you making progress on this, and as ever now looking forward to seeing your envious build style and build quality take a hold ...... no pressure then.

:speak_cool:

Looking good Steve! I've had a bash at painting the pe floor, and I'm also doing some trials with wood. (I really must get some pics posted.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter. Now I've got rid of the 3 clans tomorrow it's back to the important things in life.

• Like 1

A quick update on the engine - and this forced upon one as from this point on the engine starts to get buried into the chassis, items cover it up from the top, front, and back: so thought I'd just take the opportunity to give it some fresh air before it forever becomes entombed into the build!!

Nothing special - just more of the same ageing and oxidisation - some dust, bit of grease and some old dried up oil stains - and of course the inevitable rust ... light and otherwise........................

806-14_zps8dba3tyu.jpg

806-12_zps18nmh1ls.jpg

806-11_zpsfr6zfpl3.jpg

806-13_zpskl3nffmq.jpg

Pic's are a bit snatched so apologies for that ... I do try to get good pic's but despite my best efforts I seem "adequate" at best with this new fangled digital stuff - I'm pretty old school and "film" me!

More as it happens .......................... laters .........................

ps .................. gearbox is still untouched as it not only gets completely buried, but it has served very well as a "handle" this last few weeks!

• Like 4

Beautiful work Andi. The aged look is bang on and I'll wager this looks even better to the naked eye just like the Citroen engine. Photos are great but I agree, the digitising process seems to 'lose' something of the real colours and hues?

Looks like you got the colour of the spark plug porcelain just right though, they look superb.

Steve.

Well Andi

That engine looks as old as I feel! Ab Fab!

Your spark plugs make my 'after market' modern plugs look positively puny. Having sliced off the kit plugs in a fit of enthusiasm, I'll have to try something similar to yours.

Can we add a lesson after I (we) have had the last wheel lacing lesson pretty please?

Had a bit of a disaster with the body - decided I would replace the moulded rivets with brass from my spares box. Sanded flat, drilled and super glued in place. After curing time, put some tape in place as insurance while I snipped the unwanted lengths from the rivets. So far so good! Having neatly trimmed the rivets, I thought...hmm... why not just run some glue down the back of the rivets. Unfortunately, when I removed the tape I found that the cryo had seaped through from the back and melted the body surface. I have now recovered the body by much sanding and polishing, removing the brass rivets in the process. Ah well, lesson learned! :weep:

• Like 1

hello everyone, hello Andi,

Amazing work Andi ! Chapeau bas.

What evidence of layers and layers of patient fine art work.... without any trace of brush sroke...are you sure you want to bury this under the bonnet ?

yes the time distorted plugs but also the time melted bolts ( a la Dali clocks ) and subtle hues of rust and sand on the pedals... if you ask me, pity to bury this.

This is another prize winner.

well my friends, :popcorn: all boding very well for a very original and artistic rendering of the rest ( remains ?) of the car.. and what will happen to those hard worked spiked wheels... ?

Tough luck Banny, this happened to me, i can only sympathise, it is gutting when you remove the tape and see an unintended 'fondue' of rivets... am sure you made a splendid recovery.

am behind my schedule, got distracted by real life for two days...

Edited by sharknose156

Messing around with the chassis frames tonight. Couldn't resist chopping the front spring mounting tubes off the rails...far too clunky for my taste. I'm ditching the front cross tube (part 9b) as I don't like the variation in diameter across the front. This and the spring tubes will be replaced by 2.35mm ally tube. I've reprofiled and radiused the ends of the chassis rails so they are only slightly larger than the cross tube.

Here you go. Nothing spectacular but it's still taken Captain Slow forever to do!

IMAG2717_zps3bffgjjs.jpg

The centre tube (starter handle bracket) will be reduced in diameter as it's way out right now. The smaller end tubes will go through the leaf springs and be held by 14BA brass nuts and studding.

IMAG2718_zps5scal4ol.jpg

Kit version as a comparison.

Edited by vontrips
  • Like 2

Cheers Sharky! Incidentally, does anyone have any thoughts on the front leaf spring design? The metal Protar springs had one leaf going into the rear mounting. Italeri have redesigned it so that three leaves seperate around the mount...looks farcical to me. Guess they were worried about the weakness of the plastic version. Mine will be chopped regardless; hehe! :)

Edited by vontrips

Vontrips, it's good that you replaced the center tube. The plastic one buckles slightly when the screws are tightened.

I left the leaf springs as they were. The design doesn't really make sense, but I didn't have clear pictures of the actual ones to correct them.

Well regards the front end spring hangers and the like, and in the interests of here's another way to skin a cat! Here's how I went about it ... Not as flash or engineered as John's but does give an idea of a low tech' way to go should you of course feel it necessary?

I'd already had a go at mine and seeing as it wasn't anything special just chucked some primer at it and called it done. BUT, someone is bound to pick me up on it now that VT has shown his hand.

Mine as stated is much more "in the hands - (as ever)" - and basically comprises just two replacement stub axles made from my ubiquitous "15 amp earth wire" - I have trimmed the top and bottom of the chassis rails to streamline them, and just tapered them ever so slightly to take the box girder look off of them. I was really just going on basic engineering principles and trying to make it look about right? ... As noted there is very little solid evidence of it's actual physicality and truth be known it's just a pole with a couple of springs hung on the end - I'm guessing if you want prototypicality you might want to go John's way more then mine - he invents less stuff ... :poke:

As mentioned this isn't really supposed to be a definitive version of the car - but rather something that'll make some folk look twice .. and then perhaps even again?

806-17_zps5in4ojdg.jpg

And another couple of shots ... some work I've been firkling at around the stern. It really is a mess back there and I got a bit bogged down trying to get some semblance of order, but there's a clear photo of this in the instructions so I felt I ought to make the effort and tidy it up, narrow shut lines and make it a bit more likely to pass muster?

806-15_zpsni6hwfg2.jpg

And with a bit of primer on it ...........................

806-16_zpsvokfj3lp.jpg

• Like 1