Natural metal finishes and pin wash & weathering

MadYarpen

My wife got me P-47, in the pipeline there are also mustang and mig-21. All require part- or all- natural metal finish. I often see good models made this way. I wonder, how to make them this good. Standard paints allow to apply camo->acrylic clear gloss->decals->gloss again->oil/enamel pinwash and other oils etc.

I will probably use alclads II since the choice of colours is quite big and I know the quality is good. There are some questions I'd like to ask.

1. Should I coat alclad with clear paint (clear gloss I assume)? how to apply decals? Directly onto alclad? Should I secure decals with another layer of clear?

2. How does alclad react to oil wash and white spirit? I tried it on model master metalizers and I cannot say it was a success - white spirit was washing away metalizer with the excess of the wash.

3. If oil washes are not good, should I look for something else? I was recommended a water wash - but I cannot find this kind of wash in Polish shops... Maybe I'll try to do a water wash myself - out of water, dishwashing fluid and paints used by kids in school (no idea how are they called in English;))?

4. The same questions as regards weathering.

I guess what I'm trying to establish is how to make good natural metal finish, with wash and weathering, without loosing the natural metal look, using alclad (or maybe other metalizers are better - like gunze's super metallic).

I do have sealer for metalizer from model master (and their metalizers). It looks ok but to be honest you loose "metal" look after spraying. It is good enough for exhausts, but to make a whole model this way - you could use reguar paint instead I think...

Edited by MadYarpen

I usually do an acrylic gloss on alclad before decal and weathering, though it does tone down the finish. I use an oil pin wash with Paynes Grey. It seems to go good with the metal shades.

I just ordered the new Vallejo Metal Color in a couple of shades. If those turn out to look good when I try them, then, since it is acrylic, I will be able to decal and weather with enamels without an adverse reaction. Problem solved.