Merry Christmas to Me!

DrewP

Hello, everyone!

Let me start off by wishing everyone a safe and happy Christmas, Hanukkah or whatever you do (or don't) celebrate!

I have had probably one of the best days of my life... And you're about to find out

Story:

We gathered around the tree, ready to take pictures. Dana's father, Ron, was there after dinner with his wife, Sue. We sat down and were ready to go! I eyed a certain box in particular, as it looked weirdly rectangular, but the shape was familiar... I had seen it before.

Ron took a couple pictures on his phone (he's an oldie, doesn't know how to use the thing :P) and then he took our's with a camera we had set up on a tripod. Once the pictures were open, Rebekah volunteered to be our little Elf.

She brought Dana a small box, me a bag, herself a quite large bag filled with paper, and Sarah a small bag of coffee.

I opened my bag and there sat a beautiful little carrying bag for whenever we go on vacation so I can store shampoos, toothpaste, toothbrushes, etc.

The next round I opened was a little treat thrower for my little Jack Russell with some bacon bites for the little thing.

Then came some sleepwear, so soft and they fit amazingly well!!

Next came a set of playing dice with cups so we could play some bar games if we ever pleased.

Then came that box...

It was light.

It sounded like a Lego set (I've handled a lot in my lifetime)

The wrapping was thick, with a huge bow tied tightly around the whole box.

I quickly untangled the bow.

I ripped open the first piece of paper and there was...

A brown cardboard looking box... The bottom of something amazing

I continued to rip up the wrapping paper.

I got the the front of the box. i took a deep breath and held it before I revealed to myself what was the gift that had caught my attention and made me wonder about it the past two weeks...

In my lap lay something so precious, so beautiful, it was hard to believe...

An Aurora DC-9 in 1/72 Scale

dkKMh41.jpg

OH, it was glorious! I never thought I would EVER lay my eyes upon it...

I didn't even think I told anyone about my strong desire to own the kit... Unbelievable

6tYOXH4.jpg All the parts still inside! And the decals (though ruined) and instructions were right there with it!

awKH1Ak.jpgThe two beauties sitting together on my pretty ugly carpet...

EOUgL7c.jpg

I hope you all have/had an amazing holiday and got everything you wanted. I know I did! Thank you all so much for making my first not even full month on BM an amazing experience, I am sure to stick around for a very long time!

I'll need to finish my S-100 before I start on this kit, if I even get around to wanting to put it together, just looking at it still in the box... so amazing.

Anyway, happy holidays!!

Thanks,

Drew

Edited by DrewP
  • Like 8

Glad you liked the toothpaste case and PJs. Sorry you had to be burdened with those boxes of plastic pieces -

I'll send you my address so you can quietly get rid of them :)

Once that DC-9 is built, you'll have to update your avatar.

Great score.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

Happy Christmas Drew and everyone else. That's a very nice present to receive.

But I'm a bit confused...you said you have to finish the S100 before you start the DC9? Surely everyone knows you have to have lots on the go at the same time , get half way through one then start another and so on. Or is that just me?

Best regards

Jeff

• Like 4

Merry Christmas to you and all here on BM.

Now thats an amazing gift you have received there.Wonderful models and box art.

I stay tuned to see them appear built here in the RFI in some time... :popcorn:

Alex

Happy Christmas Drew and everyone else. That's a very nice present to receive.

But I'm a bit confused...you said you have to finish the S100 before you start the DC9? Surely everyone knows you have to have lots on the go at the same time , get half way through one then start another and so on. Or is that just me?

Best regards

Jeff

What I meant by what I said was I need to finish my S100 I am half-way through with before I even think of starting this kit. I most likely will want to build many more kits before I attempt building it, because I don't want to ruin such a beautiful kit with my inexperience. I worded it weirdly :\

Thanks,

Drew

Edited by DrewP

No you didn't word it weirdly!! I mean that like lots of modellers, i have many models on the go all at the same time and to finish one before starting another (the sensible thing to do) is confusing to me because I can't do it. I try to but then I see a good picture or new decal sheet and off I go starting another new model.

Anyway, the DC9 is a neat size for 1/72. I'd love BPK to turn their attention to the Douglas Commercial 9 series.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hello, all!

I've been looking for quite a while for any completed builds with "commentary" on the DC-9 and have come across nothing. Would anyone happen to have an interesting thread or one of their own? I've seen one of a Welsh DC-9 but it was never finished (at least, the thread wasn't).

Jeff, I've heard many good things about BPK and I think them making a Baby 9 would be amazing! I know many people would love to buy and build one! I think 1/72 is a beautiful scale for many jetliners, it really allows a good or even moderately good builder a lot to work with and add all the little details they want.

Thanks,

Drew

Edited by DrewP

Hello, all!

I've gotten into a sort of predicament. As soon as I got this DC-9, I rushed over to my computer and bought a set of the DRAW Decal's TWA DC-9-14/15s. They are expensive!! But with a beautiful opportunity to create such a great set, I couldn't stop to think... every Christmas day, Dana and I, with the family, head over to her parents' house to have a nice dinner and open presents from the family in town. It turns out Dana and her dad got together and bought me the decals!! I had already set the order in the night before, and when I went back, the order was already processing (I couldn't cancel the order). Dana's mad at me for buying it, which I understand... I'm not the smartest person in the world. I tried emailing them the 26th and still haven't gotten a reply. Today I sent the same email again (I was unsure as to whether the first one sent). Is DRAW "closed" for the holidays? Is there another way to cancel my order?

Many thanks for any help,

Drew