Cookenbacher 2015: The Cookening

Cookenbacher

Merry Christmas and happy New Year fellow Britmodellers.

The year started out with the P-40 and P-38 Group Builds, and I decided to build aircraft based in the Aleutian Islands for both of them.

P-40E 'Aleutian Tiger' of USAAF 11th FS, 1/72 Academy kit modified to accept a Legato canopy and Quickboost prop.

IMG_1374_zps5aodqyfs.jpg

Kittyhawk I of No 111 Sqn RCAF, 1/72 AZ/Legato kit

IMG_1336_zps0cs5fblp.jpg

P-40K 'deputized' by 111 Sqn and used by Ken Boomer to score the RCAF's only aerial victory to take place over North America, 1/72 Sword kit.IMG_1450_zpsoqy9ksbl.jpg

P-40K of the USAAF 344th FS based on Shemya Island in 1945, 1/72 Sword kit.

IMG_1492_zpsjmomqvyo.jpg

P-38E based in the Aleutians in 1942, 1/72 RS Models kit.

IMG_1941_zps2ltdtwwh.jpg

I built two Spitfires alongside the P-40 and P-38 builds. You know, for luck.

Spitfire IIB of 303 Sqn (Polish), 1/72 AZ Models kit.

IMG_1618_zps6ei6idus.jpg

Spitfire IXC of 303 Sqn (Polish), 1/72 AZ Models kit.

IMG_2068_zpsboyklonb.jpg

Next up, two 'Frankenstangs'; Mustang III's with Hasegawa fuselages and Academy wings.

Mustang III of 315 Sqn (Polish), 1/72 Hasegawa and Academy kits.

IMG_1832_zpsgvds8kvv.jpg

Mustang III of 315 Sqn (Polish), 1/72 Hasegawa and Academy kits.

IMG_2157_zpsjue1qec5.jpg

Phantom FGR2 of 92 Sqn, 1/72 Fujimi kit.

IMG_2022_zpsvvhg6iqn.jpg

The illustrious 92 Sqn progenitor of the above Phantom, Spitfire IA, 1/72 Airfix kit.

IMG_2228_zpsq9phzixq.jpg

• Like 25

Great collection of aircraft builds this past year Cookie! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Looking forward to seeing what you build next year.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi Cookie!

Great collection of birds! I liked especially of the Phantom, the Mustangs and Spits. You can't have too many of those, can you? ;)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Alan - the stands are just acrylic rods of varying lengths to allow for different 'poses', and attached to jenga blocks. The models just rest on them.

Bill - the RS P-38 kit would be no problem for you, but it is the most difficult thing I've ever built. The main problem is that the cockpit and nose gear well need to occupy the same place at the same time. I ended up chopping the top of the well off and using the cockpit floor as the roof. The decals were fantastic - I wish that whoever made them would be used by more kit manufacturers. The build thread is here, if you're interested.

Bill - the RS P-38 kit would be no problem for you, but it is the most difficult thing I've ever built. The main problem is that the cockpit and nose gear well need to occupy the same place at the same time. I ended up chopping the top of the well off and using the cockpit floor as the roof. The decals were fantastic - I wish that whoever made them would be used by more kit manufacturers. The build thread is here, if you're interested.

I read through your WIP - wow, what a pig. It's disappointing that it was so bad, since RS makes a P-38 kit for just about every mark there was. But you showed it who's boss. The weathering and shading you applied to the Olive Drab is very nice. Good work! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...