Herald / Friendship similarity

rossm

Having a post in the Wanted section for a Dart Herald upper wing half I started wondering if it would be easy to modify one from a Friendship to suit as it may be easier to find one of those.

Anyone have any idea?

TIA,

Ross

Edited by rossm

I reckon you're in for a struggle adapting an F.27 wing to a Herald. Don't have drawings, but if memory serves me right, the Herald's wing is quite a bit larger in chord and possibly span (the main reason the HP type was quite a bit slower), and the engine/wing joint is quite a bit broader as the Darts were kind of "lying sideways". Can be done, no doubt, but model will list heavily sideways with all that filler...

Why not make a paper/card template of the other wing, allowing for chord and curvature etc, trace it onto some plastic sheet and cut a new part. You can then warm it in water and shape it accordingly. Make up any discrepancies with body filler.

When HP were planning to rearrange their spares storage in the 60s, the team involved couldn't find a model Herald so used parts from Airfix Friendships on their model of the proposed new arrangement. Apparently no-one noticed. (Or perhaps were too polite to comment?)

The main drag difference between the Herald and the Friendship was the fatter fuselage of the former. The Herald did have a bigger wing because it was designed to fit into smaller fields than the F.27, something which turned out to be irrelevant in practice. Much like the later story of the VC10, and equally unhappy.

I hadn't known that the Darts were mounted "sideways": the main reason for the clumsy installation was the need to pick up on the same undercarriage mounting points as the 4xLeonides version, whilst coping with the greater propeller diameter of the Darts..

Edited by Graham Boak

Why not make a paper/card template of the other wing, allowing for chord and curvature etc, trace it onto some plastic sheet and cut a new part. You can then warm it in water and shape it accordingly. Make up any discrepancies with body filler.

Reckon that's what I'll have to try,

Thanks for the replies,

Ross