Undercoat suggestions for Mica Silver?

Soloturk

Hello all,

I managed to find the Jet2 official branding guidlines document, which says that the silver colour used on the fuselage is Mica Silver, which is handy as I have the Tamiya TS-76 spray can, though I've not used it, actually I've never tried their sprays yet.

But what should I use as a primer? I assume with these Tamiya ones that you shouldn't put it on without a couple of primers? I've only ever used the Halford white rattle cans, using Primer White then Appliance White.

Any suggestions is much appreciated :)

James.

Tamiya Fine Surface Primer in white. You should find it in your local Hobbycraft...

...though that said, I reckon Tamiya TS-17 "Gloss Aluminium" is a better match for Jet2. Tamiya Mica Silver is really silver, whereas the hundreds of Jet2 flights I've taken from Leeds Bradford and Manchester were all in aircraft that were more metallic grey...

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Ordinary Halfords grey primer worked fine for me and gave this result when I overcoated the TS-76 with TS-65 Pearl Clear. I know it's not Jet 2 but it's a very similar colour.

Sorry to disagree with Matthew but to my eyes TS-17 is too bright and simply too silver for the Jet 2 fuselage colour. I use TS-17 for leading edges and stuff like that. Jet 2 aircraft are indeed metallic grey (although they can look quite different depending on the lighting conditions) and personally I think TS-76 applied over grey primer and finished with TS-65 is good likeness. It's what I intend to use when I finish my Jet 2 B733

At the end of the day it's your model and it's up to you how you finish it. The only thing that matters is that you are pleased with the result.

If you've never used Tamiya spray cans, I strongly suggest you experiment on an old or scrap model before committing yourself to the real thing. They aren't difficult to use but like anything new a bit of practice is necessary.