1/48 AIRFIX SEA VIXEN 890NAS

Another of the "new" AIRFIX range of aircraft - an aircraft that was much in demand, and what a big beast she is. The current Historic Flight Vixen is an impressive sight to see at the Air Shows, but equally sobering is the number of Vixen aircrew lying in graves at St Barts church in Yeovilton. (There is even an impressive memorial there placed by the actress Kristen Scott Thomas - her father was killed flying Vixens in the 60's - I believe her mother remarried another vixen pilot, subsequently killed on F-4s in the 70's). Working at yeovilton a few years ago there was still an old Vixen "Looker" working in uniform - in discussion he suggested that one of the reasons for the "side-by-side" arrangement for the Observer was a hang up from the de havilland design team still flushed with that arrangement on their Mosquito. With the requirement to sit "down in the coalhole" it took some courage (and faith!) in your driver to get it right. i understand that at one point in the 60's young Midshipmen were sometimes taken off training on Frigates & destroyers and sent on the Observers course just to make the numbers up for replacements!

markings are for 890 NAS - the "witch on the Broom" is taken from the pub on the road to Yeovil - that is still there today.

IMG_06311.jpgIMG_06321.jpgIMG_06331.jpgIMG_06351.jpg

what? another kit missing it's Pitot tube.......there's a theme building here!

• Like 30

I am not a jet kinda guy... But the sea vixen is one I would love to build, it really does grab you!

Very nice model, fantastic finish you have achieved.

Also I didn't know there had been so may lost to they type, I will look into it some more me thinks

Rob

• Like 1

Www.seavixen.org will give you some of the history of lost crews. I remember in London on charing x bridge a campaigner set up camp to highlight loss of aircrew caused by poor design. Assume he sat there due to proximity of ministry buildings. No politics just a distant memory.

• Like 1

Hello,'Fights On' - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your 'Sea Vixen'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work. She is a resplendent tribute to the type.A vivacious Vixen! All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Lovely looking Vixen and a great finish. I didn't know about the origins of the witch. I hope the popularity of this kit will convince Airfix to scale it down to 1/72, but not much sign that they will at the moment.

As an aside, I nearly brained myself on the one (now sadly scrapped) at Thorpe Park as a lad in the late 70s. Kids were allowed to clamber all over it. Imagine that today. I got into the observers coal hole and the hatch, sans any pneumatic resistance, slammed shut about half an inch above my head. Thankfully fingers were well inside at the time although I still have a scar on my index finger after it got trapped between between the pilot's canopy and the top of the ejection seat. The runners were all out of whack and, after applying some pressure, the canopy suddenly 'gave', trapping my digits! Happy days.

• Like 1