Sword 1/48th Lightning T4/5

Simon Cornes

I was a little surprised not to find a review of this kit so I thought I'd put some of my thoughts down!

I acquired one yesterday from eModels and, on the whole I think its an impressive kit with some nice touches such as the internal boxing of the main gear bays. Its let down in some ways though by oversimplification and poorly positioned ejector pin marks.

In the case of simplification, well you have 3 resin bits - jet pipes and seats. The jet pipes are perfectly adequate but the seats are not that great - compared to what NeOmga have produced - and trying to work out some of the strappery isn't easy! No etch anywhere so expect an Eduart colour interior.

The pitot must have 8 or 9 sprue attachment points so you'll do well to cut it loose and have it staright - stainless steel rod and tube required I think!.

I mentioned ejector pins and there is one smack bang in the middle of each main gear 'D' door so a chisel will be required. And the missiles - well a sort of Red Streak or a Fire Top maybe? But of course, if the shape of the airframe is right - and I think it looks okay - then it will sell very well. Plus you get both fins so the only difference is the decal sheet!

Simon

• Like 4

It's strange how Sword managed to get the missiles so wrong, still better them than the actual airframe. (I was going to mention how a certain Chinese manufacturer's attempt at a Lightning managed to get everything wrong except the missiles but I promised I wouldn't mention the Trumpeter kit again, doh!) :shutup:

Duncan B

• Like 1

While I'm waiting for mine to arrive I take it the different instrument panels aren't accounted for? Which is in the kit?

I doubt it, you can see the plastic in the thread in the Rumour-monger section. Looks like same plastic in both issues.....

Its not just the IP that will need amending, the throttle controls if included will need attending to....

EDIT see this link

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980655-sword-148-english-electric-lightning-t4-and-t5/?p=2187917

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

While I'm waiting for mine to arrive I take it the different instrument panels aren't accounted for? Which is in the kit?

The panel is a T.5 oob. There are no throttles so you will need to add left and right (T.5) or left and centre(T.4).

• Like 1

No, they're molded separately to be added to the sides. You're on your own with the centre console for the T.4 but the rest of panel needs modding anyway so it's no more of an annoyance. I spent a week at Binbrook in 87 so luckily my interest will be in the grey T.5's first. Hopefully by the time I get further in somebody like Aires or Neomega will have done proper full cockpits. Probably not but you never know... after all I never thought I'd see an injection molded kit!

• Like 2

I doubt it, you can see the plastic in the thread in the Rumour-monger section. Looks like same plastic in both issues.....

Its not just the IP that will need amending, the throttle controls if included will need attending to....

EDIT see this link

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980655-sword-148-english-electric-lightning-t4-and-t5/?p=2187917

No throttle boxes as such in fact both side panels are identical and very generic. I would say that, generally, the detail is quite soft and its a pity Sword didn't decide to opt for resin side panels and instrument panels. I can see Quickboost doing a self adhesive panel + seat strappery set in colour but I don't know if they will do alternative instrument panels - but of course they should! The detail inside the main gear bays is okay but no texturing to the roof of the bay, as Trumpeter do for example in their 1/32nd 'creation'.

Clearly Sword will be doing single seaters in this scale on the basis that the instructions include a head on view of an F2a to demonstrate anhedral - or in their case, 'negative dihedral'! Personally I will stick with Airfix single seaters though!

Simon

• Like 1

Might be worth checking the decal sheets to see if they are scaling up their "keep clean of intakes" stencils etc!

I'm afraid the stencils for the nosegear doors read 'Keep lear when engines running' - but at least they're consistant!

As has been said, if you want a decent cockpit then NeOmega is really the only game in town and, of course, you make sure the lid is cracked!!

Simon

• Like 1

To address the pitot tube you could always use the Master one, as intended for the Airfix kit. As for the cockpit issues, I would have the canopy closed, solving all the issues. But that's me being a lazy so-and-so.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by andy wood

I was watching a Youtube review a few days ago...

1.. errors with external cable trunkings....

2... mis alignment of wing attachment slots...

Wonder what thats all about then? They give you alternative cable ducting end pieces for either T 4 or 5 so I assume the duct start at the right place on the rear fuselage?. Regarding wing alignment, well the port wing looks fine, the tongue on the starboard upper panel on mine will need a bit of excess plastic trimming off but I would say that they both line up as you would expect. The lower halves are fine.

I still think its excellent value and looks like a Lightning!!

• Like 2

Are there any consuls moulded into the side walls?

There is detail on the side walls Bill with a clear area for the side consoles to fit into.

There was a reference to the cable issue in a recent mag build...

It may be that it was referring to it in relation to the aerobatic team version...

Can't find it at the moment

The kit has the bulk of the cable ducting moulded to the fuselage. For the T4 parts 28 and 29 fit to the front completing the duct. This is the same as the single seat F1a/F2/F2a. The T5 uses parts 70 and 71. These are longer and the same as the F3 and F6.

I've not measured them to see if they're the right length, but it wouldn't be that difficult to extend if necessary.

The kit looks fine from where I'm looking. I've not measured it or compared it to the Airfix kit yet.

• Like 1

The kit has the bulk of the cable ducting moulded to the fuselage. For the T4 parts 28 and 29 fit to the front completing the duct. This is the same as the single seat F1a/F2/F2a. The T5 uses parts 70 and 71. These are longer and the same as the F3 and F6.

I've not measured them to see if they're the right length, but it wouldn't be that difficult to extend if necessary.

The kit looks fine from where I'm looking. I've not measured it or compared it to the Airfix kit yet.

My first impressions are that this is a good model. It's very reminiscent of a Classic Airframe kit, the plastic is well moulded and shiny and has no location lugs/tags. The cockpit interior is adequate, the canopy inners could do with some additional detailing, and the Neomega set may help there. Regarding accuracy, I've not measured the kit nor compared it to any published diagrams, though I can confirm that the fuselage is the same length as Airfix's, that's good news as I was worried they may repeat the same mistake as they did with their 1/72 nd scale kit. In fact this kit compares very closely in detail to the Airfix kit..

Silly mistakes include the portrayal off the missiles....a "red-streak" and "fire-top", instead of the Firestreak and Redtop!

Also, the decals are very well printed, but the pale blue outline on the 56Sqn chequerboard is noticeable by its absence! In fairness Sword aren't the only people to get this wrong!

As I said, these are my first impressions based on the parts still on the sprues. My opinions may change as I build the thing, but so far so good...

As for the comments about the cable ducts above by feldr in post 17, these seem fine. what magazine did you these comments...I get most magazines and haven't seen a write up on this kit. Can I also suggest that if you do read something that you wish to pass on that its referenced?

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 1

I've had a look over mine, and as Bill says it comperes well to the Airfix kit in length depth and width so all looks good on that front, and like Simon I'm a wee bit disappointed in the placement of some of the injection pins but nothing that can't be fixed. The proof will be in the building! for me the hardest part of the build will be deciding just which Sqn T.4 to build!

John​

​

I'm in to the build of the T.5 I got last week. It is very similar to a CA kit as Bill said. Going fairly well so far apart from the sink marks on the inner edge of the intake ring. I think this will take a few hours to sort as it takes careful filling and sanding. Parts fit seems ok but the instruction to add the tail pipes after joining the fuse halves will certainly not work unless you trim the end piece to match the same profile as the resin pipes !!

Steve.

• Like 2