Compressor oil

Mechanised Dwarf

Good afternoon I have inherited an old airbrush compressor, it is working but the oil is very low so I want to either top it up or replace with all new oil. There are no identifying names/numbers on the thing apart from an “AZTEK” sticker on the case and a stamped plate with the number ”246423” and year “93 E” I can’t find any information online about what oil I should use so I was hoping someone here would know what I need to get. Any and all help gratefully received. Thanks

p.s. I've got a Flickr account but I don't know how to link pictures here as the method described in the britmodeller FAQ for linking photobucket images doesn't seem to work with flickr

I use Sincom/32E oil in my SilAir15D, which I get from Martin @ Air-craft. Have a word with him before pressing go, but as it's the only type of oil I've ever found, it's probably the right type ;) I'd always replace rather than top-up too, as it gets rid of any muck the oil has picked up along the way :)

I use Bambi compressor oil (available from many UK sources, including Ebay), it's an easy choice as my compressor is also a Bambi. If you start from "fresh" with new oil, I'd also recommend draining the old stuff completely, then add some new oil, drain again and then fill up with the new oil.

My compressor gets heavy usage as I use it for my pressure pots for resin casting so I get through a fair bit of oil. I may invest in an oil-less type in a few years, but when you want large air volume and silent operation at a reasonable price you can't beat oil compressors.

J

Always good when a plan comes together :) My next order from Martin will include another bottle of oil, as I'm now feeling guilty about not changing the oil in mine since I got it :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Has to giggle....My compressor was playing up after years of non-use. The oil level was a bit below what was advised and when in use dropped well below the minimum level. I thought that might be the problem, and needing to fix it immed iately,I topped it up with vegetable oil!

It didn't appear to do any damage. At a later date I drained the lot and replaced it. I have to confess, I just used GTX engine oil. No problems with it at all now.

Badder