1/48th Tornado GR1,in flight

Shaun

How did you find the fit of the main gear doors? Mine was pretty shocking

Pretty good, which way did you tackle them?

I fitted mine before I assembled the bays/intake trunking, so I could push/pull them to a nice level fit. I've found its best to not follow the instructions on this kit and go your own route.I assemble the rear fuselage first

Tornado%20gear%20up_zps8ivsqn47.jpg

• Like 1

Great start Shaun, I think the Tornado looks best with wings swept and belting along ..like a IX Sqn bat outta hell!

You've backdated it to a GR1, I plan to do the same soon.

I seem to recall in previous threads that the fin cap needs a bit of refinement as its a bit too bulbous, and does the heat exchange fairing on the fin need sanding back a bit for a GR1?

Great start Shaun, I think the Tornado looks best with wings swept and belting along ..like a IX Sqn bat outta hell!

You've backdated it to a GR1, I plan to do the same soon.

I seem to recall in previous threads that the fin cap needs a bit of refinement as its a bit too bulbous, and does the heat exchange fairing on the fin need sanding back a bit for a GR1?

The fin tip would be impossible to fix correctly as the bulbous shape runs down the fin in a sort of diamond shape? You can help it a bit with sanding. The heat exchanger is larger on the later updated IDS/ECR/GR4. be a hard fix. Have a look at Photo's.

It's a great kit, but not for the beginner to modelling.

Be time for primer soon.

The fin tip would be impossible to fix correctly as the bulbous shape runs down the fin in a sort of diamond shape? You can help it a bit with sanding. The heat exchanger is larger on the later updated IDS/ECR/GR4. be a hard fix. Have a look at Photo's.

It's a great kit, but not for the beginner to modelling.

Be time for primer soon.

I tried to sand both down on mine previously, it did improve them slightly. I had a Hobby Boss GR1 that I ended up trashing. Shame I didn't salvage the fin from that. It may have been okay, and more appropriate to an earlier mark(?) even if the rest of the kit wasn't!!

• 2 weeks later...

JP233s?! ;-)

Beat me to it. Those and flying at an eye-wateringly low level?

That was my plan with the 1/48 Airfix Tonka I have here, well, it was until I opened the box... Ha. Might happen one day.

Looking good, Ive got a chair.

Pulling up a chair for this.

I am also planning an in flight GR.1 using the left over decals from my Hannants sets.

I'm popping a couple of Paveways on the bottom of mine. Was thinking 9 squadron 1991.

• Like 1

hmm after a quick search one number of 30 deg came up in post 39 of this thread, http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/521187-loft-attack-2.html. No weapon load mentioned.

No idea if they were using manual or auto loft (likely) during but I'm sure much more qualified guys can comment on this with the exact angle. I guess it wouldn't be too steep (longer exposure) given the SAM coverage those attacks were exposed to! Would be quite interested to know the range figures they got on these, seems they were relatively accurate at taking out AAA installations parallel to the runways from what I have read.

There are Tornado flight manuals out there on the net IIRC, I'll have a dig around and I'm sure I have read on this to do the exact same model before.

Would look awesome in my opinion at the point of tossing them, even maybe 1-2 on their way :winkgrin:

Cheers,

David.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

hmm after a quick search one number of 30 deg came up in post 39 of this thread, http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/521187-loft-attack-2.html. No weapon load mentioned.

No idea if they were using manual or auto loft (likely) during but I'm sure much more qualified guys can comment on this with the exact angle. I guess it wouldn't be too steep (longer exposure) given the SAM coverage those attacks were exposed to! Would be quite interested to know the range figures they got on these, seems they were relatively accurate at taking out AAA installations parallel to the runways from what I have read.

There are Tornado flight manuals out there on the net IIRC, I'll have a dig around and I'm sure I have read on this to do the exact same model before.

Would look awesome in my opinion at the point of tossing them, even maybe 1-2 on their way :winkgrin:

Cheers,

David.

That's my plan, I think it could look cool..and would display the underside of the jet?

Shaun.

• Like 1