Airfix 1/48 Spitfire MkXII

Well covered subject matter - but my first 1/48 in a long time.

Brush painted with Vallejo Model Colour, which is the best I've come across so far.

Pretty happy with the results - although I lost the undercarriage suspension arm to the carpet monster when removing it from the sprue - so they didn't go on. Also just noticed those massive ejector pin marks on the access door!

All OOB except for Eduard Zoom cockpit interior - it's the first time I've used PE - gosh some of those bits of metal are microscopic!

Thanks for looking.

TGF_9344_LR.jpg

TGF_9345_LR.jpg

TGF_9346_LR.jpg

TGF_9350_LR.jpg

TGF_9351_LR.jpg

TGF_9352_LR.jpg

TGF_9353_LR.jpg

TGF_9355_LR.jpg

• Like 15

Beautifully clean and tasteful rendering of the first Griffon version!

I guess that the eye catching ejection marks on the cockpit hatch are tricky to eliminate. Maybe a third party resin or PE hatch would be the preferred solution?

The offset elevators are in a position seldom seen on a parked Spit with nobody in the cockpit. The stick would have to be in the fully back position to make it plausible. Usually, the elevators drooped a bit…

Apart from the minor niggles, really splendid modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Beautifully clean and tasteful rendering of the first Griffon version!

I guess that the eye catching ejection marks on the cockpit hatch are tricky to eliminate. Maybe a third party resin or PE hatch would be the preferred solution?

The offset elevators are in a position seldom seen on a parked Spit with nobody in the cockpit. The stick would have to be in the fully back position to make it plausible. Usually, the elevators drooped a bit…

Apart from the minor niggles, really splendid modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for your kind comments - as far as the position of the control surfaces are concerned I copied the positions from this photo I took at Duxford a few years ago:

23_Spitfire_3.jpg

I agree though looking at it once it's finished - elevators down would have been more pleasing to the eye...

Cheers!

That's really nice, I' m just finishing a Mk XII myself but in 41 sqdn markings. I'm not averse to seeing the elevators in the up position, we often used to tie the stick back with one of the straps on windy days when I was gliding, keeps the tail down.

Cheers

John

Edited by Biggles87

Thanks for the comments about the finish. I used Vallejo Model Colour for the first time, a couple of coats straight out of the bottle. It dries quickly and very smoothly without brush marks. With a coat of Vallejo satin varnish on top it looks great. I'd definitely recommend it to brush painters out there who are still searching for the perfect acrylic.