Hello Britmodellers

here are pictures from my current build on my bench ( or better one of them) Its Trumpeters H.M.S Hood in 1/350 scale. Its my first attempt to add more details on a 1/350 warship. The kit was started right after i got it in my LHS, as an intended oob build, like my other ships i had at that time.

While building her ( that was in 2007 or 08 ) i discovered modelling sites like Modelwarships.com or websites about the real Hood, learning about the wrong main gun turrets and the posted ships had so much more details. After i became unhappy with my idea it quickly stalled. Filling and sanding the seam running around Hood hull didn t helped either. :(

Some month back, i decided to give this one a second go, with some more budged and some more skill, i ordered an photo etched set from Eduard, gun turrets in resin from WEM, just before they went out of business, and a detail set from Trumpeter with beautiful turned brass gun barrels.

Adding PE stuff proved difficult and progress was slow, a bit later i gor me a self adhesive wooden deck from Pontos and my Hood project was running well until live stopped this in summer 2015. ( incl. two BM Group Builds )

Now i have some days of until the new year and Hood is back from the mothballs.

MSW01_zpsoh0kooji.jpgMSW11_zps9dixwtcu.jpgMSW02_zpsfboiwe7b.jpgMSW03_zpscosimtm6.jpgMSW04_zpsnxcu3gna.jpgMSW05_zpslr1npxgc.jpgMSW06_zpscd5ztodm.jpgMSW07_zpsr1eb9qnr.jpg

• Like 10

That was the start of adding more details, it took many hours to detail and clean the army of ammunition lockers crowding her boat deck and it became quite tedious, now its2605%20neu2_zpsabojb9cr.jpg2605%20neu3_zpsldgnz7wm.jpgfunnel%20cab1_zpsqiygunbr.jpgfunnelcab2_zpsvhgbjus4.jpgfunnelcab3_zpst0armfvt.jpgfunnelcab4_zpszthrexxq.jpgfunnelcab5_zpsl5pns327.jpgammo%20lockers1_zpskdj2jppg.jpgdeck%20house1_zpsuuiy95gv.jpg10%202%20guns_zpsi31thajw.jpg30%2005%20c_zpsl28cqh8l.jpg30%2005%20a_zpsmmosizem.jpg30%2005%20b_zpsypjfix1v.jpg done.

• Like 8

While adding details the build looked still very plain in the monotone blue gray, so i applied a dark washing and some dry brushing.

Most of her deck houses are only dry fitted.

Thank you for watching

Bernd

Grossmast%20am%20Platz_zpsru1un0sl.jpgSchornstein_zpsskeq53hl.jpgGrossmast%20und%20starfish_zpsqgobsjfb.jEMessgeraumlt_zpsgykfiajx.jpgBootsdeck%20Schornsteine_zps0rflvypr.jpg

• Like 17

:popcorn:

very nice thus far :thumbsup:

She certainly was a good looking ship, wasn't she?

so sad :poppy:

Thank you and she was a beauty ! While her "fitting out" is coming well along, the kit looks impressive. A long sleek ship.

great work :popcorn::popcorn::goodjob:

Thank you Mick, more photos soon. Made some progress on her boats and the superstructure. The Carley floats are now fitted with photo etch.

Good work Bernd, have you been away?

Al

Thanks, Al. Yes after my Hurricane Mk.I done for the Battle of Britain GB i didn t had the time for modelling and looking and posting on Britmodeller.

:wow: Very, very impressive detailing Bernd. It must be good to see this one back underway again. Very nice.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you for the kind words, Stix. Its great to be again underway with this project. While modelling time was in short supply in the last time, its really nice to proceed. And the stash has some more new stuff as well.

Yesterday, my Academy H.M.S warspite in 1/350 scale arrived and last evening i won the Academy U.S.S Indianapolis Deluxe Edition for a bargain price. It comes with everything you need for a well detailed ship. With the japanese submarine, who sunk her included, also well detailed.

That blews my budged but these are great kits, live can be very nice :)

• Like 1

The Academy Deluxe Indianapolis is a wonderful kit. Good for you to get it at a cheap price!

This looks very nice. I'm still building aircraft at the moment as the warm weather means I can use my garden shed for modelling. When it gets cold, I'll be back on the ships. In the meantime, there's a quirky ship linked in my signature which I'm hoping to finish before Christmas!

• Like 1

Sounds like you've acquired some rather nice kits - they should keep you busy! :thumbsup:

I hope i am faster with them, as on Hood. The workers on the real one were actually much faster !

:captain:

• Like 2

The Academy Deluxe Indianapolis is a wonderful kit. Good for you to get it at a cheap price!

This looks very nice. I'm still building aircraft at the moment as the warm weather means I can use my garden shed for modelling. When it gets cold, I'll be back on the ships. In the meantime, there's a quirky ship linked in my signature which I'm hoping to finish before Christmas!

Great idea and pretty good modelling ! Your PE work is outstanding.

Hi Bernd, impressive so far, plenty of detail on this to keep you busy over Christmas.

I shall look forward to see this coming together,

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Bernd, impressive so far, plenty of detail on this to keep you busy over Christmas.

I shall look forward to see this coming together,

Sean

Hi Sean, thank you very much for the kind feedback. Its my first attempt to super detail a warship. Bending and folding fiddly PE stuff or just hear their inpact somewhere around me, after i have cut them out, becomes more and more familar. :banghead:

Hi Bernd, good to see you back on britmodeller. Nice start to your Hood. You've got so much detail on your build. Keep up the good work, Joe.

• Like 1

Hi Bernd, good to see you back on britmodeller. Nice start to your Hood. Joe:)

Hello Joe, yes its great to be back and i have some days of so plenty of modelling time.

• Like 1

Ahh...P.E..... must admit I envious of others who can use this.

My experience when I've tried it is not ...Where does this go? :hmmm: ....but .... Where did it go? :shrug:

and of course the usual....How to make it stick to plastic and not my finger, thumb, dog. etc, etc, :doh:

Sean

• Like 3

Ahh...P.E..... must admit I envious of others who can use this.

My experience when I've tried it is not ...Where does this go? :hmmm: ....but .... Where did it go? :shrug:

and of course the usual....How to make it stick to plastic and not my finger, thumb, dog. etc, etc, :doh:

Sean

Hi Sean, photo etched parts can be a nightmare and i "love" the soud of the inpact of these in the distance ....

:whistle:

• Like 2