1/72 B-52D, Linebacker II, 1972.

Hello all,

Here is my recently finished Monogram 1/72 B-52D in the markings of 55-0677 of the 25th Bomb Wing, based at Andersen AFB, Guam during the Linebacker II bombing campaign in 1972.

Built for the Vietnam II group build, the build thread is here

The windows have been painted gloss black as the fit is poor and some filler was required, resulting in dust getting in behind the transparencies. I'm also missing the walkways for the horizontal stabilisers, as these broke up on application. The bomb tally is fictional, but i couldn't have my BUFF without one!

Built completely OOB, except for the inclusion of Warbird decals for the walkways.

DSCF0920_zpsz4kwnhym.jpg

DSCF0921_zpsrzskunqu.jpg

DSCF0922_zpsnzlkrjiv.jpg

DSCF0923_zpsqbnoutjb.jpg

DSCF0924_zps2hr2tfss.jpg

DSCF0925_zpszadpbwjt.jpg

DSCF0926_zpsomdv82uf.jpg

DSCF0927_zpsynhqji2l.jpg

DSCF0928_zpsbnwkttsi.jpg

DSCF0930_zpsbsrwjoda.jpg

DSCF0931_zpsmyudvgvs.jpg

DSCF0932_zpsndf4e817.jpg

DSCF0933_zpswybhqtrj.jpg

DSCF0934_zpsoj3jkcux.jpg

DSCF0935_zpsye2e9xi0.jpg

It's a big bugger with poor fit at times, but a great addition to the collection and one of my favourite aircraft. Would i build another? Yes. I've an AMT/Ertl H model to build then i'll probably add a B-52B in there (when I get the space!)

Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Dave

• Like 36

Hello,DaveJL - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'B-52'.I love the build,finish and the subject very much indeed.She is a resplendent and majestic tribute to this iconic aircraft.All the best,Paul.

Very nice indeed,.....I love the sharkmouth and your paintwork i superb! I remember building this kit yonks ago when I got it as a Christmas prezzie as a kid and built it in the same Vietnam scheme,.....happy memories,

Cheers

Tony

Nice work Dave. Wondering if that's the kit you got from me last year!

It might just be the flash, but the green looks a bit too "lime" on my monitor. Not a criticism, just being nitpicky! You did really well to get such a consistent finish over such a massive area!

Word of advice - build the B-52B before trying the AMT H. The AMT one will sap your will to live, never mind your entire stock of putty and sandpaper. It's a reasonable to say NOTHING on it fits anything else in the box! :)

All the best, Al

Could well be Al!

May be your monitor, the lighter green is pale as opposed to lime. I struggled to get it right. The tone seemed to vary from jet to jet, think mine is somewhere in the middle, but the flash does make it look a tad brighter than what it is.

Thanks for the advice on the H….the joys. I do like a challenge!

Dave

I have the very same kit, only problem was the decals disintegrated on contact with water. I can't find a full set of replacements so mine will forever be unfinished. Nice to see one completed! awesome job!!!

Marc

Cheers folks!

Go large or go home!! Superb B-52, where's it going to go?

Sean

Thanks! It's on top of a wardrobe for now.

I have the very same kit, only problem was the decals disintegrated on contact with water. I can't find a full set of replacements so mine will forever be unfinished. Nice to see one completed! awesome job!!!

Marc

You can get replacement decals on Ebay easily enough!

Well tamed! Having built, then rebuilt this brute, I know what you have been through. That's a good job there, she looks suitably faded after working hard in theatre. Some Xtradecal strip will sort the stabs out, I've had to do that before.

Marc

If DaveJL's replacement decals idea doesn't work there's always Davies-Monthan for a dio...