AIRLINER: Revell A320, Aer Lingus retro scheme

Recently completed this one - my last civvie of the year.

This is the Revell 1/144 A320 kit built oob except for using Classic-Airlines decals to depict Aer Lingus retro-jet EI-DVM, which I bought at SMW. I like this kit, though I still have to build one of the newer Zvezda examples, and the laser-printed decals went on really well, my only criticisms being that there is no decal placement guide, just a colour diagram from one aspect, and there are one or two things missing, most prominently the 'Airbus A320' script above the cheatline at the rear of the fuselage.

Constructive critiques welcome :)

411998030.jpg

411998029.jpg

• Like 24

very nice little retro livery A320 you have there - noting your decal note, could you not have used the kit supplied decal of the airbus text line or is it missing or the wrong colour?

I'm jumping on an A320 this afternoon - there're great little work horses

tip top

very nice little retro livery A320 you have there - noting your decal note, could you not have used the kit supplied decal of the airbus text line or is it missing or the wrong colour?

I'm jumping on an A320 this afternoon - there're great little work horses

tip top

I used the Thomas Cook / Swiss boxing of the A320 and although there is a decal for the writing among the kit decals, it is in blue :(

Grimme Shelter

The Aer Lingus A320 logo is black, I believe the Thomas Cook/Swiss stock decals are blue, or should be

Very good build though, I like this a lot! :)

EDIT- Never mind, beat me to it!

Edited by Soloturk

Right up my alley this. I use many retro liveries on my builds for the more modern airliners - not only do they hark back to the 'golden age' of air travel, but I'm also no fan of the modern Euro White tubes we see blending in with each other these days.

Gorgeous build!

Cheers,

Mike

Amazing build! That retro theme looks amazing on the beautiful bus. I love the windshield!! It looks like I'm looking at pictures off of Airliners.net! Great job, amazing paint choice, and great assembly! Might I ask, did you use any putty? Was the kit reasonable, and easy on beginners? I've been keeping my eye on Zvezda kits, but I might think about trying this kit out someday. What kind of tape did you use to mask (assuming you had to mask some part of the plane to paint)? Best of luck on your next model!

Happy holidays,

Drew

Amazing build! That retro theme looks amazing on the beautiful bus. I love the windshield!! It looks like I'm looking at pictures off of Airliners.net! Great job, amazing paint choice, and great assembly! Might I ask, did you use any putty? Was the kit reasonable, and easy on beginners? I've been keeping my eye on Zvezda kits, but I might think about trying this kit out someday. What kind of tape did you use to mask (assuming you had to mask some part of the plane to paint)? Best of luck on your next model!

Happy holidays,

Drew

Many thanks for your very high praise, Drew. I did use some putty but only a litte along the fuselage join and a tiny bit on the engine half joins. It's an easy little kit to build and goes together rather well; even the windscreen is a reasonable fit.

I used Tamiya masking tape for the differencial between the white and the grey on the fuselage and the corogard areas on the wings; the white and corogard is paited using Halfords rattle cans, the rest is hand painted using Tamiya and Xtracolour paints. The decals were very easy to use and went on well, though I did choose to paint the area forward of the windshields rather than attempt to get decal to bed into the curves; the black nose cone is also painted. Hope this helps - thanks again for the positive comments. :)

I remember the first time I saw that aircraft in Dublin, without knowing anything about it.

It just looked awesome! Really suits the aircraft too.

:goodjob: