The RAF in the Cold War - free online course starts 14/03/16

Jabberwocky

Ladies and gents, some of you might find this useful. I hope I've posted this in a suitable section...

This could be interesting. I've done several of these Futurelearn courses now and find them very informative.

From World War to White Heat: the RAF in the Cold War - Examine the changing role of the Royal Air Force from 1945 to the mid-1960s.

"This free online course is a collaboration between the Royal Air Force (RAF) Museums and the Department of History at Royal Holloway, University of London. It will introduce you to some of the major turning points in the history of Britain in the post-1945 era."

Starts 14th March 2016.

I hope it's helpful to someone.

Paul

Edit: an e-mail from the organisers gives some more detail of the issues covered:

The course will take place online and will consist of a variety of videos, articles, audio, discussions and assignments. For the first week we will take you through the early Cold War years, 1945-53, and look at the changing role the Royal Air Force from the end of the Second World War to the conclusion of the Korean War. We will also focus on the 1948/49 Berlin Airlift, and the coming of the jet-age for the RAF.

In future weeks we will return to different aspects of this period, including the Malayan Emergency, Sir John Slessor’s ‘Global Strategy Paper’ in 1952, the development of the British ‘Bomb’ and the establishment of the Air Forces Memorial in Runnymede (1953).

The course itself will cover the entire Cold War period, with a discussion of Thor missiles in Britain, TSR2, the Soviet bomber threat, Gulf War I, and the establishment of the National Cold War Exhibition at RAF Cosford.

• Like 2