Bf 109 STGB II Chat

vppelt68

On 2017-5-11 at 7:11 PM, Mottlemaster said:

Thanks VP . Just ordered the conversion . It has now got to get here from Argentina . I will not start it until the Buchon is built

I have a wee bit of info on the K-14, it was powered by a DB 605L with a Mechanical Supercharger, but was only fitted with a single engine mounted 30mm (either MK 103 or MK 108) and a pair of 13mm MG 131's. Deliveries were started in the last couple of weeks of the war with the only recorded unit to receive them being II/JG-52 (although another reference mentions it didn't actually go into service but some were built and flown).

I really do want to join this build...just have to finish the pain which is the HB F-111....I'm half leaning towards filing it in the bun it's such a bad model....

Anyway I'm thinking of bring this baby along...

IMG_0130_zpsrelsijx0.jpg

done in this colour scheme

IMG_0131_zpsalw3acgw.jpg 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

IMG_0130_zpsrelsijx0.jpg

done in this colour scheme

IMG_0131_zpsalw3acgw.jpg 

Welcome back Rich :thumbsup: .

It would be great (for me!) to see you build this one. I'm a huge Spanish Civil War buff and also live the early 109's.

I would love to see how this new kit goes together. I have the old Academy 1/48 in storage up in Brisbane; I may not see it for years and I've read it's a bit of a compromise. Also an Alley Cat conversion for 1/32 and an Eduard kit; a bit beyond my ability for the moment. Finally the Avis kits in 1/72; I believe it's now four I've thrown in the bin, at the almost complete stage. The only success I've had is the old Heller; a lovely kit but obviously showing it's age and I believe it's a little long at the nose.

To cut a long story short, the manufacturer of your kit is tooling for a 1/72 version. 

I

can't

wait

:bounce: 

I would love to see how yours goes together; I think it will give an indication of what to expect in 1/72.

Plus, I really would like to see more Spanish Civil War subjects here (of all kinds), so this would be just marvellous. A great marking scheme too :)

All best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Well I made the coin toss and the Bf 109E won. Kit will be the 1/32 CH kit in either it's E-3 or E-4 incarnation.

Obligatory box and contents photos to follow if I can get photo*****t to work for me!

Incidentally, if anyone can point me in the direction of a totally foolproof photo posting programme it would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

20 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I really can't imagine there could be a Britmodeller Group Build wihout you Rich! Welcome aboard! V-P

awww....when you say nice things like that how can I not!  :D

I've had a good look at the wee beasty and she looks lovely, it'll be a straight from the box build with AM decals as shown. Will start a thread shortly.

Anyone know what the pair of square holes are, indicated with red arrows in the photo below?

34284311193_a907c5f723_b.jpg

This the Finemolds G-10 being backdated to the G-6/AS ... underside line drawings I've looked at don't include this detail.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The Germans collected spent cartridges for re-use in boxes fitted under the cowling

I believe those are vents for the bottom of the engine area

That was certainly the case for Bf109 up to and including the F and the G2 and G4.  However, with the introduction of the MG131 in the G5, the expended cases were ejected through the two chute holes depicted in the underside. Strangely the MMP Scale Plans book (no.9) on the G2 and G6 does not have them depicted at all in the G6, despite there being a dearth of evidence in other publications (MDF vol 2; Squadron, Aero Detail etc).

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor
Additional research for accuracy of versions.

Thanks lads. :thumbsup2:

I've also an MPP book on the Bf 109 G Yellow Series (2nd edition), and it too does not illustrate those chute openings for neither the G-6 nor G-10, hence the confusion.  In the body of the text, it does state the G-5 and G-6  introduced the new mg's of the 131 type, and these would have case ejection ducts extending to the bottom of the fuselage.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

Another question on the Gustav series, regarding the drop tank rack.  The Finemolds kit has it sitting off center, and a review here states that is correct:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/axis/luft/me/109/72g10.htm

Mentioned here as well, also adding when the drop tank was attached it would lie center in relation to fuselage and not the rack??

If this is indeed correct, I wonder why it was off center?

regards,

Jack

On 03/06/2017 at 01:28, trickyrich said:

IMG_0130_zpsrelsijx0.jpg

yes!  :thumbsup:

One of my entries for this GB is the AMG Bf109D.   It's a smashing kit and I look forward to seeing your build :popcorn:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks.

I'm wondering if any of the Bf-109 experts on here could give me advice on something I need for my build.

I'm going to be building a 1/72 Spanish HA-1109K-1L by Amodel.

IMG_8818.jpg

The version I wish to build is that as used in the film 'Star of Africa' to represent Marseille's Bf-109s.

The wheels in the kit aren't correct for the one I wish to model. They are spoked (and not very well defined). There is a photo of a HA 1109 with wheels that look like the ones in the Amodel kit, but the wheels on the particular aircraft in the movie 'shot' I wish to model are different.

The wheels on the HA-1109 resemble ones I've seen on photos of, for example late Bf-109 G (6?) aircraft. They have plain hubs with bolts around the edge. They are actually the same as those on this aircraft in the Cuatro Vientos museum:

IMG_8819.jpg

(Photo by Diego Dabrio and granted to the public domain).

As an aside, this photo is captioned  as a HA-1112 'Buchon' on Wikipedia and other places, but that is incorrect. It's a 'tripala' HA-1109 with Hispano Suiza engine. The HA-1112 Buchon has the Rolls Royce engine and 'smile' chin intake we're more used to, e.g. as seen in the movie 'The Battle Of Britain'.

On the British Wikipedia page, this self same aircraft in the museum, photographed from the same angle, is correctly labelled as a HA-1109K.

Other parts of that Wikipedia page are quite hit and miss.

Here is a better photographic/history flow/description than that shown on Wikipedia 

http://flaps-aviation-aviacion-luftfahr.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/hispano-aviacion-ha-1109-ha-1112-buchon.html?m=1

Back to the wheels:

The wheels are also the same as on most 'Buchon's' I see, I believe some Buchons were converted HA 1109's, but I can't remember at this point.

IMG_8821.jpg

Photo: Wikipedia - Creative Commons licence.

I can't find resin aftermarket wheels like this in 1/72. Some of the pictures of products on e.g. The Aviation Megastore aren't clear enough for me to see if they're the right wheels or not.

I'm beginning to wonder of these six bolt things are actually covers over the spiked wheels? I doubt it, but maybe?

Could anyone advise of any manufacturer that makes aftermarket wheels like these in 1/72? For that matter, if they appear as a part in any kit?

Thanks in advance

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They will likely need to find a new host site for their photos.  Apparently PB wants to collect an annual fee of US$399 for the so called 'third party hosting'.

regards,

Jack

On 19/06/2017 at 22:09, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello folks.

I'm wondering if any of the Bf-109 experts on here could give me advice on something I need for my build.

I'm going to be building a 1/72 Spanish HA-1109K-1L by Amodel.

IMG_8818.jpg

The version I wish to build is that as used in the film 'Star of Africa' to represent Marseille's Bf-109s.

The wheels in the kit aren't correct for the one I wish to model. They are spoked (and not very well defined). There is a photo of a HA 1109 with wheels that look like the ones in the Amodel kit, but the wheels on the particular aircraft in the movie 'shot' I wish to model are different.

The wheels on the HA-1109 resemble ones I've seen on photos of, for example late Bf-109 G (6?) aircraft. They have plain hubs with bolts around the edge. They are actually the same as those on this aircraft in the Cuatro Vientos museum:

IMG_8819.jpg

(Photo by Diego Dabrio and granted to the public domain).

As an aside, this photo is captioned  as a HA-1112 'Buchon' on Wikipedia and other places, but that is incorrect. It's a 'tripala' HA-1109 with Hispano Suiza engine. The HA-1112 Buchon has the Rolls Royce engine and 'smile' chin intake we're more used to, e.g. as seen in the movie 'The Battle Of Britain'.

On the British Wikipedia page, this self same aircraft in the museum, photographed from the same angle, is correctly labelled as a HA-1109K.

Other parts of that Wikipedia page are quite hit and miss.

Here is a better photographic/history flow/description than that shown on Wikipedia 

http://flaps-aviation-aviacion-luftfahr.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/hispano-aviacion-ha-1109-ha-1112-buchon.html?m=1

Back to the wheels:

The wheels are also the same as on most 'Buchon's' I see, I believe some Buchons were converted HA 1109's, but I can't remember at this point.

IMG_8821.jpg

Photo: Wikipedia - Creative Commons licence.

I can't find resin aftermarket wheels like this in 1/72. Some of the pictures of products on e.g. The Aviation Megastore aren't clear enough for me to see if they're the right wheels or not.

I'm beginning to wonder of these six bolt things are actually covers over the spiked wheels? I doubt it, but maybe?

Could anyone advise of any manufacturer that makes aftermarket wheels like these in 1/72? For that matter, if they appear as a part in any kit?

Thanks in advance

TonyT

Tony  i think that a 109 g-10 . the 1/48 Revell G-10 im useing for my K-14 conversion has them so guess revell 1/72 does.

Hope this helps

Alistair

About the 109 wheel cover, FineMold's G-10 has three tire options  in the box, among which it includes the 'cover' type.  The details are a bit different, such as the center detail being round and not bolt/hex shaped.  The outer rim is completely riveted, so it does not match the photo.  I can post a close up photo if needed.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

On 19/06/2017 at 23:09, TonyTiger66 said:

Hello folks.

Thanks in advance

TonyT

Hi Tony

I've got four of the Classic Plane Hispanos and they all have the wheels with a cover with 6 bolts.

You can see how the wheel looks here if you zoom in a bit.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/148151-classic-plane-cpm-73-ha-1112-k1l

I usually go for the last three letters/numbers to separate the main versions

HA-11nn-J1L, Hispano-Suiza 12Z 89

HA-11nn-K1L, Hispano-Suiza 12Z 17

HA-1110-K1L, 2-seater with Hispano-Suiza 12Z 17

HA-1112-M1L, Merlin 500-45

HA-1110-M4L, 2-seater re-engined with Merlin 500-45

My best source is https://me109.info/

All in german but check 'Übersicht' then 'Bf 109 gebaut in Spanien'

Btw, when you check around the pictures there you can see at least 3-4 versions of wheel types

Has V-P been banned from the sight? As the thread in the future GB section has next to his name now waiting to be banned from the community.

• Like 1

"The rumours about my..." etc are somewhat exaggerated, though I must admit I've been terribly quiet for a terribly long time now! I'm going to a hip surgery in less than six weeks, and the pain has just taken the best of me, which shows... I'm also seriously wee weed of the sudden need to reorganize my way of posting pictures, which has further decreased my Britmodeller presence. Which thread in the Future GB:s do you mean, Ozzy? I need to check that too! I have lurked here and followed your builds and given my likes to builds in the Gallery, but I know I'd had to have been a better host. Glad you missed me, anyway :oops:

Damn, this leg hurts! Regards, V-P

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

"The rumours about my..." etc are somewhat exaggerated, though I must admit I've been terribly quiet for a terribly long time now! I'm going to a hip surgery in less than six weeks, and the pain has just taken the best of me, which shows... I'm also seriously wee weed of the sudden need to reorganize my way of posting pictures, which has further decreased my Britmodeller presence. Which thread in the Future GB:s do you mean, Ozzy? I need to check that too! I have lurked here and followed your builds and given my likes to builds in the Gallery, but I know I'd had to have been a better host. Glad you missed me, anyway :oops:

Damn, this leg hurts! Regards, V-P

Good to hear from you V-P,

it it wasn't in future GBs my mistake, it was your thread in GB chat with the duel GB. One I'm looking forward to, it's got my vote! Sorry to hear about your hip you must be in a Considerable amount of pain, hopefully once you have a new one fitted you should be right as rain. I think the photobucket thing caught us all off guard, I've switched to a site called postimage it's free and easy to use. We've all missed your weekly up dates of your 109 Squadron.

youve been the perfect host :clif: V-P

hope the remaining time before your Op goes as quick as this GB.

take care

oz

• Like 2

Hey guys, I'm at the decal stage of my build, but not sure if the the 109G-6/AS would have a full set of stencils?  The subject is JG3 around spring 1944, and the aircraft is a single colour overall  of RLM 76.  Is it known whether these aircraft delivered in this high altitude scheme, or repainted all grey afterwards?

petzschler2.jpg

regards,

Jack