Bf 109 STGB II Chat

vppelt68

Good day, I am going through a bit of a 'meh' period at the moment. I think I need to dust off a clean kit and have a go, so to get the mojo cranking I have a Tamiya 1:48 version. Absolutely no idea what mark at this moment as I am no expert in the 109 (German with a spinny thing on front is as far as my expertise goes!) and I am in work at this moment. Would it be ok to join in, get the interest flowing again and learn a bit more on this wonderful aircraft?

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, welcome and make yourself comfortable! You already have that Tamiya kit? There are other mojo restoring options in your chosen scale too. Check Eduard Weekend Editions and Zvezda 109 kits too before purchasing.

Enzo... Maybe a rookie mistake, but an old pro way to go public with it. You got British interior green and some light grey paint available? Go and mix your own 02 :thumbsup: it shouldn't be too difficult?

V-P

27 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Enzo... Maybe a rookie mistake, but an old pro way to go public with it. You got British interior green and some light grey paint available? Go and mix your own 02 :thumbsup: it shouldn't be too difficult?

The BM Massive is very familiar with my stupid mistakes, so going public with them is always the best policy.  :D

I've already placed an order with my usual paint supplier, so I should have paint by the weekend. My prefered RLM02 paint is Lifecolor UA504.  Lifecolor also do some Dunkelgelb shading paints, one of which is sort of similar to RLM 02.  I'm wondering if I can use the Dunkelgelb as a highlight colour on my Israeli Avia S-199.  I would imagine that paint faded quite quickly in the middle eastern sun.

As you know, one of my builds is MT-505 in green uppersurfaces and blue undersurfaces with white wing and tail bands.  The SBS Decals instruction sheet claims this aircraft is from 1950, but some internet references I have seen claim 1960.  Do you have any opinion on this? 

Also...   I followed your link to the virtual museum in the reference thread.   The shots of the Bf109G cockpit show it painted in an unexpected colour.   I would have expected RLM66, but it looks like a medium blue-grey, somewhat similar to US Dark Ghost grey.  Do you have any opinions on this?  Were Finnish cockpits repainted?

Enzo, it's definitely not 1960! The last flight of Bf 109:s in our air force took place in 1954. The last plane to fly is the one preserved in the Air Force Museum. It spent several years outdoors before theirs (with MT-452) historic values were understood. They have both got several repaints on the way so don't trust any of their colours as a reference! V-P

• Like 1

Thatr's a bit of a shame.  I would have loved to have seen an original Bf109 flying in 1960. :)  As opposed to the Buchons in the film Battle Of Britain in 1969.

Edit:  Is anyone building one of those?  'cos that would be pretty cool.

A question for vppelt68.

Considering rescuing this kit off the shelf of doom.  Started it a couple of years ago.  Is it less that 25% done?  What is your ruling? I am fine with whatever you decide.

21stCent%20Bf109_zpsfvcdhxfb.jpg

Thanks

Greg in Oklahoma

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Greg in OK said:

A question for vppelt68. Considering rescuing this kit off the shelf of doom.  Started it a couple of years ago.  Is it less that 25% done?  What is your ruling? I am fine with whatever you decide.

Thanks

Greg in Oklahoma

Let´s rescue that kit - go on and finish her! I´ve never seen that kit before, btw. V-P

5 hours ago, gazza l said:

Am I too late to join? I've only just seen this thread and by pure chance I've just started an Eduard 1/48th 109F.

gazza l

No, that´s not pure chance, that´s perfect timing! Get yourself a thread started too and show us the Friedrich :popcorn: . V-P

Alistair, first I´ll quote your link...

"...it is possible that at least one airframe of the K-14 version was constructed before the end of the war... ...Some sources mention that two airframes were delivered to II./JG52 under Major Wilhelm Batz in late spring of 1945..."

...and then the rules...

"Eligible builds: Messerschmitt Bf 109 including prototypes and racers..."

Since there´s no proof, that the single prototype K-14 didn´t exist, I can´t see why this should be excluded? Bring her in and show us what she´s got :P. V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Alistair, first I´ll quote your link...

"...it is possible that at least one airframe of the K-14 version was constructed before the end of the war... ...Some sources mention that two airframes were delivered to II./JG52 under Major Wilhelm Batz in late spring of 1945..."

...and then the rules...

"Eligible builds: Messerschmitt Bf 109 including prototypes and racers..."

Since there´s no proof, that the single prototype K-14 didn´t exist, I can´t see why this should be excluded? Bring her in and show us what she´s got :P. V-P

Thanks VP . Just ordered the conversion . It has now got to get here from Argentina . I will not start it until the Buchon is built

• Like 1

How little will have to be built in order to be below 25 per cent?
I have some Hasegawa Bf109s with cockpits painted in base colour, fuselage halves glued together and wing halves glued together. Would that be within the limits of this GB?

TIA,

Jens

• Like 1

:hmmm:Jens, I haven't been too strict on the 25% rule, or eligibility rules in general, but for one build that might be just too much... But if you have more than one build in that phase, my applied engineering math gives a result where the sum of job left for several kits exceeds the required 75% for one kit, so... Hop along and join the ride :thumbsup:

(Unless the greater BM GB community doesn't like my math skills and ends my days as a GB host for good). V-P

Thanks V-P. I have a couple of G-4s and a handful of G-6s in that state, so that is what I will bring to the GB. I will have to go through the boxes to find out what my plans were when I started them. :)

Jens

• Like 1

My contribution to the GB will be in 1/32 and will be either a 109E or G variant. The E would be from the B of B period while the G would be a recce version from '43 or '44. It will be a coin toss to choose which one I decide upon. However, I'll not be starting to build until the end of the month as we are hosting visitors for the next two weeks.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
Word insertion.
  • Like 1

Hi, I'm a new entry in the forum and so, I'm apologize for the questions...

I know what mean the GB... but I don't understand the time...

In this case, this GB started on 6th May and the end will be on 6th August... is it correct? 

So, have I only 3 months for finish a model? ... (For me, this will be impossible... For example, I just finish a Bf109E4 Eduard 1/48... I started it on December :blush:)

If I want enter in the GB, I must start on the exactly date (6th May in this case) or can I start when I want?

Thanks

Good evening Matteo and I'm glad you're interested in the Bf 109 STGB! The builds really shouldn't be started before given date, but there's a so-called 25% rule that allows one to enter with a build given some tlc earlier. Likewise, the builds should be finished by the given end date, to be eligible to enter the gallery vote and possibly be given a prize - depending on the GB sponsorship.

To me this is more a case of spending internet time with people sharing my hobby and interest. In a "good" GB, the participants shouldn't be whipped to scream, but given some virtual whipped cream by the hosts, rules and the community. You get what I mean? Start a thread, show us your build, join the others' by supportive commentary, and finish your build, or then not, as long as we all have a good time together.

Best regards, V-P

• Like 1