Bf 109 STGB II Chat

vppelt68

4 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

That was quick, if it´s already done :rofl: 

even I'm not that quick V-P, I've got a Mozzie to build first:yahoo:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hoping to join in on this one, but have questions for the experten ...

I would like to do an Bf 109 G-6/AS in overall RLM76 as described in this blog;

http://falkeeins.blogspot.ca/2016/12/hellblau-uber-alles-overall-rlm-76-bf.html

My plan is to backdate Finemolds 72nd scale G-10, and comparing drawings with the G-6/AS, things to 'fix' would be:

- short tail wheel

- less or no tabs on the rudder and elevators

- remove the two bumps underside of cowl

- > chin intake - stays as is, or was the earlier shallow type?

- > anything else?

Now the author of the above link states these were Erla conversions, so what does that mean?  I know they had the characteristic asymmetrical cowl on the G-10, but was this already introduced with their G-6/AS?

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 2

On 6 maart 2017 at 8:24 PM, JackG said:

Hoping to join in on this one, but have questions for the experten ...

I would like to do an Bf 109 G-6/AS in overall RLM76 as described in this blog;

http://falkeeins.blogspot.ca/2016/12/hellblau-uber-alles-overall-rlm-76-bf.html

My plan is to backdate Finemolds 72nd scale G-10, and comparing drawings with the G-6/AS, things to 'fix' would be:

- short tail wheel

- less or no tabs on the rudder and elevators

- remove the two bumps underside of cowl

- > chin intake - stays as is, or was the earlier shallow type?

- > anything else?

Now the author of the above link states these were Erla conversions, so what does that mean?  I know they had the characteristic asymmetrical cowl on the G-10, but was this already introduced with their G-6/AS?

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Your list is correct (from memory) The chin intake is the shallow one. Also have a look at the wheels. I believe they were the early small type that includes the small humps on the wing.

Also from memory is that the cowling from the G10 is correct and take a look at the antenna's.

Cheers,

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arniec said:

Also have a look at the wheels. I believe they were the early small type that includes the small humps on the wing.

I´d rather call them the intermediate type - they were larger than ones used in G-2 and earlier models. V-P

• Like 1

Thanks both Arniec and vppelt68.

Plan is to do a wheels up position, so there shouldn't be an issue with the tires - assuming the hubs are the same standard type?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the antennas, Finemold's kit has them all, but will need to move the short one aft a bit off of the canopy?

10049187z3.jpg

I have looked at line drawings of the G-6/AS, and find the short antenna in three or even four different locations!  In front of the canopy frame, right on the frame, and also behind it.  Going by this photo, I'm assuming these refurbished aircraft had it behind the canopy;

PetztchlerJG3.jpg

There is also a question of the long underwing antenna - the Fug 16ZY being introduced in the spring of 1943, but it does not appear to be present on these aircraft flying one year after the fact?  

Bf109IJG3Bohatschschwarze7.jpg

Looking at AZ Model, they do include it on their boxing of black 14 from 'Udet' as pictured above.

http://www.model-making.eu/products/Bf-109G-6AS-Hohenjager.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remaining concern is the chin intake and the shape of it when viewed from underneath.   I can't find a proper drawing that illustrates whether it had straight sides or somewhat tear shaped?   Going by sprue shots from AZ Models, they indicate almost straight with slight flair at the sides (2nd intake part on their fuselage sprue).

regards,

Jack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was reached and touched today by news that Antti Tani had moved to the Shadow Squadron. He was 98 years old. May he rest in peace  and my condolences to his family.

During the Continuation War he served as NCO and achieved 21.5 air combat victories, most of which with Bf 109:s.

Bf 109 G-6 MT-428 will be built in this STGB for his memory.

V-P

• Like 2

No, not yet! We begin at the first saturday in May, so three and a half weeks to go. Funny, just today I had to dig an old Heller Friedrich up, finished many years ago in African colours, and started an makeover to a Finnish G-2 in 74/75/76 scheme just to test my paints 😎

I would like to join if I may.

I have many 109 kits in the stash, half a dozen of those are in 1/32 scale.

I have not yet built a 1/32 kit so this may be the incentive to start one.

E,F or G. Hmmmm..........

• Like 1

Just you all wait a few more days, before there will be a big BIG announcement made regarding what kind of and in which way will AZmodel and KP award prizes for our group build :thumbsup:.

Oh I could make it right now - but I won't until saturday :coolio:!

V-P

• Like 2

I have more 109s in the stash than any other aircraft.

I guess I have to join in order to get one out of the stash and onto my shelf!

I am in

.boxart_zps4gyryteg.jpg

Greg in Oklahoma

Edited by Greg in OK
  • Like 2

Morning all,

Just confirming my attendance. I am planning two, both in 1/48 scale. The first will be an Eduard Bf109E-1 OOB (almost) but in flight with the Aerobonus pilot figure. The second will be the Hasegawa Bf109G-6 boxing with HGW rivet set, Eduard set, Ultracast seat, tyres, Master barrel guns and a couple of other bits I can throw at it in the way of AM. I may even try and bring them both in on time this time!

Regards,

• Like 3

On 31/08/2016 at 4:46 PM, vppelt68 said:

I added this to STGB rules:

Is there the 25% rule: Let´s use common sense! An unstarted 1:72 easy build kit to be built OOB has a lot less job left to be finished than (say) a 50% done 1:32 kit with resin, PE or both. So why should we not allow such mountain of work not to be finished within a STGB? I say we should! Tell me if you object, please, before we start.

So please comment but ONLY if you object, I´ll see then whether this add-on stays or not. V-P

I began a build of a Swiss Me 109 DB in 1/32 over Easter - completely forgetting about this STGB coming up :wall:

The model has now the main surfaces riveted and some parts of the cockpit had received some work. But no assemblies glued together or anything painted, so still below the 25% mark I am sure.

Any objection in entering that model here?

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Morning all,

Just confirming my attendance. I am planning two, both in 1/48 scale. The first will be an Eduard Bf109E-1 OOB (almost) but in flight with the Aerobonus pilot figure. The second will be the Hasegawa Bf109G-6 boxing with HGW rivet set, Eduard set, Ultracast seat, tyres, Master barrel guns and a couple of other bits I can throw at it in the way of AM. I may even try and bring them both in on time this time!

Regards,

Will be interesting to see how the rivets compare between the HGW positive Rivets and the Eduard recessed rivets. I used the HGW rivets on my Hurricane build and I love the effect they create.

But unfortunately the quality of them is not very consistent (the new sets released earlier this year are much better). I found the rivets from some of the rivet sets not so user friendly, so maybe better try some of the spare rivets from the the set you intend to use first on  an old model.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1