Iraqi Northrop A-17 - Cool Low-Flying Shot

mhaselden

A propos of nothing much, I stumbled across this great pic of an Iraqi Northrop A-17 doing a crazy low-level flight, apparently under a bridge. RAFM research indicates it may be the Al Shahuda bridge spanning the Tigris in Baghdad:

Iraqi-Northrop.jpg

(Source: http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/a-question-of-aircraft-recognition/)

Sadly, the aircraft's identity isn't clear, but it does appear that the aircraft wears the same nose-art as seen on the pic below of another Iraqi A-17:

Douglas8A2.jpg

I know this stuff probably isn't to most people's taste...but it appealed to me (and the A-17 is a good-looking 'tween-the-wars type).

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 13

Nice find,.....the Northrop was also used by the RCAF & SAAF using aircraft ordered by the British Air Ministry and it was one of the highest performing types used by the Iraqi`s when they fought against the British!

Cheers

Tony

For such a short production run, the A-17 (or 8A-5 for the Douglas variant) had a surprisingly large number of operators, including:

Argentina

Canada

Iraq

Netherlands

Norway (never operated)

Peru

South Africa

Sweden

UK

USA
There's some nice colour footage of Canadian Nomads in the yellow/black target tug scheme in the film "Captain of the Clouds". Also, US service saw it in blue/yellow and overall natural metal schemes, as well as a couple of interesting camo patterns for exercises:
A-17A+Nomad+2.jpg
Northrop-A-17-1940_zps454caf3a.jpg
And a more mundane camo'd versions:
A-17.jpg
Northrop_A-17A_(36-257)_(4862311920).jpg
Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 4

Remember that the Norwegian ones flew for a while in Canada in `Little Norway' before being sold in South America,.....to Peru I think? I think that one Nomad flew in the UK with Boscombe Down before the rest were sent on to the SAAF & RCAF.

Cheers

Tony

ps- Look at this beauty for release next year!!!

SH72292%2BNomad%2BMk.I.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5

Great photo - from description it looks that 1944?

SH produce this model - I made the model of DB8 of Iraq AF by converting SH A17 before it appeared in SH. :banghead:

I posted it here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972420-two-opponents-of-oxford-from-habbaniya-1941/?hl=habbaniya

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

Remember that the Norwegian ones flew for a while in Canada in `Little Norway' before being sold in South America,.....to Peru I think? I think that one Nomad flew in the UK with Boscombe Down before the rest were sent on to the SAAF & RCAF.

Yep, there are pics of A-17s in Norwegian markings...even though they weren't flown operationally in that scheme.

Douglas 8A and Northrop A-17 are the same basic airframe but with engine and equipment differences.

Yes - and they are right in the middle of evolution line from Northrop Gamma 2a to Douglas SBD Dauntless :)

Besides Iraq the Netherland was interesting user of this type in WWII.

I've read somwhere, that most of Iraqi DB8 were destroyed during Habbaniya revolt battles. So if the photo of flying under the bridge is from 1944 - it will be one of the last Iraqi DB8.

Tony, thanks for remembering my model :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S.

On side (a bit) - the NA 50 looks "doable" to convert from Harvard... or Boomerang??? (the original concept is the same - to do a single seat fighter from Harvard). And this Peru markings temptate me a little...

And this is what it looked like in the Swedish Air Force:

154B5-12-700px.jpg

B5_med_skidor_1000p_redigerad-2.jpg

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 1

Yep, there are pics of A-17s in Norwegian markings...even though they weren't flown operationally in that scheme.

They were flown from Little Norway in Norwegian markings but were found to be a handful by the Norwegian trainee pilots so were sold off after a while. I have a few pics which I`m not allowed to post on line depicting these Norwegian Northrop`s in service. There are some at the end of this line up of Curtiss P-36`s, you can make out their silver finish and cheatline;

Curtiss_og_douglas_fly_LittleNorwayCC0.j

Here are some Norwegian trainees at Little Norway with a Northrop;

hqdefault.jpg

and here are some out on the airfield;

bb04680c922d4df52a0cf677b15d8c0f.jpg

and here is a wonderful painting depicting a Northrop flying over `Little Norway';

rhma-148-%20over%20little%20norway%20-80

imgA4.gif

Little-Norway-Toronto_fullwidth.jpg

And here are some really nice RCAF Nomad target tugs,....some were also overall bare metal without roundels;

15651203230_cb050542f6_o.jpg

2126932977_b1d5945acb.jpg

500px-AVION_COTC_LC.jpg

Plus a SAAF Nomad, also used in the target tug role;

Nomad1.jpg

And in RAF markings,....the bottom one is at Boscombe;

87-1.jpg

NomadAS974.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

PS- Here is the unit insignia from the Iraqi Northrops;

3-1.jpg

here is a Dutch one;

21-1.jpg

I don`t know how true this is but the Northrop A-17 was supposed to have identical outer wing sections to the Curtiss P-36!

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

Nice pic of the Iraqi "flying bomb" marking. I hadn't seen any starboard side images of Iraqi A-17s so my OP provided the first indication that the marking might be applied to both sides of the fuselage.

I do like the Dutch birds with the orange national markings, including that nice black-bordered, orange rudder. When first delivered, they wore the circular Dutch national marking as shown below:

1035762491.jpg

You also might like this colour pic of one in Norwegian markings:

Northrop%208A-5%20307.jpg

Finally, some of the captured Dutch machines were operated by Germany:

282036d1421225789t-northrop-17a-douglas-

I'm sure none of this is new to you...just sharing for peeps who may be less familiar with this rare, but interestingly-marked, bird.

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 3

On side (a bit) - the NA 50 looks "doable" to convert from Harvard... or Boomerang??? (the original concept is the same - to do a single seat fighter from Harvard). And this Peru markings temptate me a little...

Antarki do a resin kit of the NA 50 in 1/48. Steven "Modeldad" Eisenman did a favourable review on Hyperscale here. Antarki is also planning (see posts in Rumourmonger) an injection moulded 1/48 Northrop A-17 (or perhaps a series of them to accommodate all variants), which is partly why this aircraft is of interest to me at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing that kit when it emerges.

• Like 1

Cheers for the colour view of the Norge Northrop,........it is a corker. I knew that the Germans tested a few captured Dutch aircraft but the pic that you`ve attached shows a unit marking so that is different,....great finds!

All the best,

Tony

Here's Special Hobby's interpretation of the Luftwaffe scheme:

SH72296.jpg]

I have the opportunity to visit Dayton, OH, a couple of times a year. I do like to visit the USAF museum and pay homage to the A-17 and B-10 in the collection there. I have a soft spot for aircraft that nobody else finds interesting! :shrug:

• Like 2

You have to mean it to get to Dayton.

FYI, I think SH have misidentified the colours in their depiction. The airframe appears to be in standard Dutch camouflage, for which the pale tone should be a tan shade and not grey as depicted on the SH box top.

I don`t know how true this is but the Northrop A-17 was supposed to have identical outer wing sections to the Curtiss P-36!

I do not think so - at least if you compare models. But it is very likely, that Curtiss scaled down or follow the construction of wing from Northrop Gamma which is geometrically the same as Nomad. I know - more or less - since Northrops have central flat part like Harvard or DC2 or DC3 and rised outer sections and Curtiss are rised from the fuselage.

Regarding scheme for camtured DB8A - I would vote that the rear part of fuselage is left i Dutch colours whereas rest is perhaps in two tone green (RLM 70,71???) and bottom should be yellow, I think.

Regards

J-W