Northrop P61B Black Widow, Airfix 1/72

JWM

Hi,

In addition to set of Northrops, which I posted recently along with BT-1 I've just cleaned a bit from dust my very old model, which was not posted yet - Northrop P61B Black Widow from Airfix. I did this machine sometime in 1981 or 1982. So a while ago... These days I painted transparent parts with varnish, which came to yellow with years, I am sorry to say.

Markings are from 418th FS, USAAF, operating on South Pacific, 1944. The individual markings are home made, in particular there is a hand painted "nose art", which I still like - and perhaps this is the reason to show it...

p61 DSC05803p61 DSC05802p61 DSC05801p61 DSC05789

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 13

Nice Black Widow!

I remember that the 1/48 Monogram kit had the same markings option. Have built the 1/72 Airfix kit myself with the original decals and posted here a long time ago.

Have a nice Sunday

Mario

• Like 1

Hi My Friend Jerzy!!!!!

It has been a very long time since have watched your work, but i promise to look around as have seen something about you but have not had enough time to deal with my personal mail until those days, so, stay tuned!!!

I have been looking at your nice build with those old times flavour that made me close my eyes and feel that old time when not a lot of Tamigawa and aftermarket kits were in the market and one have to make and take all the things as handcraft maker to improve the kits. Guessing what did you do to fix the spoilers and all the things that used to "hang" under the wings that made me at that time to look for something to guide me to built it, but failed.

I remember that in 1981 i was looking for this nice big bird and found myself with an MPC rendition that was forgotten into a plastic bag with part of the destroyed box in the Hobby Shop Warehouse shelves. The old lady had unfortunately the prop blades broken, but otherwise was complete. Remember the plans have some faulty steps and as a result the kit was stored with care into a MPC F5E Tiger II box leftover from a kit I did, and nearly forgotten.

Last year have seen something related with the plane here at BM and watched the FROG company also did one, and comments were a mix between good and bad as with all the kits and looked for one to have another specimen of the same spice, an succeed...and succeed so nicely that in many buyings I have done at Ebay bids there were some kits I or my Godfather have interest that went in groups together with other planes.

As a result, there were something like an abundance of this type of deadly spiders even at the local second hand market where the a local store was selling many forgotten kits with humidity damaged or very crushed boxes, missing parts, or bagged kits for less than Two US Dollars each, and I was offered the whole stock, and gues what???...Yes, you guessed, I bought nearly all and in the process bought another MPC kit with all complete except the decals. As a result, now have no less than three of each kit in the stash and since 1982 the nice Microscale decal sheet.

Looking at your nice build, coincidently with the stash ordering i am doing now, will look for one to have at hand "just in case" for the Christmas...

Thank you very much for sharing your nice work and remind us of the long gone times.

Cheers My friend and wonderful Sunday!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...