Oh no! It's another FAA Corsair!

MikeR

Hi everyone,

Since we've had quite a few Fleet Air Arm Corsairs lately, I thought I'd add one more! :wicked:

Here's the Tamiya 1/72 F4U-1A kit completed as Corsair II JT410 T8H as flown by Sub Lt Donald J Sheppard, RCNVR, of No 1836 Sqn flying from HMS Victorious in January 1945. Decals were from DP Casper's "Operation Meridian" sheet and the model was painted with a mixture of Humbrol, Revell and Xtracolor enamels. I used Dana Bell's two excellent Aircraft Pictorial books on the Corsair as reference. Thanks also to the guys who answered my questions relating to the aircraft in the THREAD I started back in August. I have no idea if the codes are the right way round on the left side, but I used JT422 T8B for guidance as I have an image of that aircraft in "Eyes for the Phoenix" by Geoffrey Thomas.

I actually completed the model about three weeks ago, but this is the first chance I've had to take pictures of it!

FAA Corsair 00

FAA Corsair 01

FAA Corsair 02

FAA Corsair 03

Comments welcome! B)

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 30

You can keep bringing Corsairs of this quality!!! There can never be too many!

Brilliant build, paint job, everything!

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

That looks great Mike, and I'm really glad to see such a well done RN Corsair from the Tamiya kit, as I now know it's at least possible. How did you go about clipping the wings? Did you scratch the fuselage intakes and vents?

I have inside information that there will be a few more FAA Corsairs here on BM in the near future!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :coolio:

Did you clip the wings?

Yup - a bit nerve racking as the plastic in that area is a bit thick and I hoped my knife didn't slip! :blink:

That looks great Mike, and I'm really glad to see such a well done RN Corsair from the Tamiya kit, as I now know it's at least possible. How did you go about clipping the wings? Did you scratch the fuselage intakes and vents?

I have inside information that there will be a few more FAA Corsairs here on BM in the near future!

I clipped the wings using the photos in Volume 2 of Dana Bell's Corsair Aircraft Pictorial as reference. I measured by eye, then draw a line where I wanted to cut then very carefully sliced the original wingtips off. I then sanded the stumps to the right profile. As for the vents, they're just pieces of plasticard sanded to the right shape, again using Dana's books as a guide. Not very fancy, but it will do! B)

Look forward to more FAA Corsairs appearing on BM, like McDD Phantoms, you can never have too many! :coolio:

Thanks again peeps,

Mike. :)

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 2