RAF ground vehicles suitable for diorama with spitfire help

blackwolf

hi all

My name is Stefano and I am new in this forum

I am originally from Rome but live in South Africa

I have an interest for the battle of Britain and I would like to build a diorama involving Spitfires of the 602sq. of the RAF

My main problem is to place the right RAF or Army vehicles for that era [1940] as complement to the airfield service vehicles and ground crew

I would like to have some help from the more experienced member on which vehicles to get so to form a good realistic and authentic diorama

The vehicles model available to me are the OXFORD military line that is quite well made

what is difficult for me is to know which ones would properly fit a 1940 diorama of the BOB

thanks very much in advance for your help

Hi Stefano,

And welcome to BM!

You don't mention the scale that you're interested in. If it's 1/48th, you're in luck because of the new Airfix BoB kits of the Albion AM463 Fueller and the
Bedford MWD personal transport. They're even reported to have poseable front wheels – yay! Tamiya makes a beautiful Austin 'Tilly' in the same scale.

I'm not familiar with the Oxford line at all, so maybe I'm out of touch completely with what you're looking for. If so, don't worry – someone else will be along shortly. :-D

Kind regards,

Joachim

I would imagine you mean the 1/76 line http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/navigationOX/76/military/76Indexmilitary.html

I'm thinking the Austin Tilly and David Brown tractor would be fine, also the Bedford tanker and Bedford OX with Queen Mary trailer.

Can you get hold of Airfix kits?, they have two airfield diorama sets available, including a BoB one.

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/dioramas-buildings/dioramas-airfield-sets/raf-battle-of-britain-airfield-gift-set-1-76.html

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/dioramas-buildings/dioramas-airfield-sets/wwii-raf-vehicle-set-1-72.html

• Like 1

Ace models make 2 different Austin 8 staff cars in 1:72; a saloon and a tourer; either could be painted as an RAF car or even a civilian model belonging to someone on the station.

I used one in my 'Station Commander's Inspection' vignette shown elsewhere on this forum.

The Bomber resupply set from Airfix could also yield vehicles and equipment that wouldn't all be out of place in 1940.

Hi Stefano,

And welcome to BM!

You don't mention the scale that you're interested in. If it's 1/48th, you're in luck because of the new Airfix BoB kits of the Albion AM463 Fueller and the

Bedford MWD personal transport. They're even reported to have poseable front wheels – yay! Tamiya makes a beautiful Austin 'Tilly' in the same scale.

I'm not familiar with the Oxford line at all, so maybe I'm out of touch completely with what you're looking for. If so, don't worry – someone else will be along shortly. :-D

Kind regards,

Joachim

The Austin Tilly was not used by the RAF.

Selwyn

thanks to everyone for the reply iwould like to know if the

Oxford 1/76 scale David Brown Tractor 76dbt006 in blue/grey RAF livery is suitable for the BoB dioramas or its livery post war?

unfortunately I am unable to post any link

thanks

If you look a little wider there is a wide range of RAF support vehicle kits available in 1/76 scale from the smaller military producers. I'm particularly thinking of MMS, who produce the Crossley tender (lorry) and Fire truck, plus a number of the smaller Austin and Commer vehicles. These are all in white metal, but go together like the Airfix/Matchbox kits of ye older days. In resin you should look to Matador Models, who produce the Albion refueller mentioned above plus a number of other items, and Milicast, although there are fewer vehicles specific to the RAF in their range.

Joachim

thanks very much for the link is very interesting

Mancunian

Doing some research I realised that this vehicle was not out

your intervention confirm it thank you\

Mike

thanks for your advice I live in Cape town

will contact this person asap

Joachim

thanks very much for the link is very interesting

Mancunian

Doing some research I realised that this vehicle was not out

your intervention confirm it thank you\

Mike

thanks for your advice I live in Cape town

will contact this person asap

For Cape Town find Chris or Murray Baxter, They run (ran?) a hobbyshop/import business with very good pricing.

http://www.hobbiesonline.co.za/store/index.php

Edited by Charlie Hugo

David brown airfield tractors didn't appear until 1942 , so too late for the BoB , however, if you can get a Standard Fordson this would be fine for the period.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Jones

Charlie

the world is very small

Murray Baxter is a good friend of mine

Andrew

thanks for the advice I was convinced that the DB tractor make was perfect for the BoB

obviously I am on the right forum as I start appreciating the competence of its members quite a lot

I am trying to get few of the Oxford military available around so I cwill be posting again to sort them out

thanks to all

• Like 1

Hi Blackwolf

As an ex-Capetonian and ex-member of IPMS CT (CSMC) my suggestion would be to get Murray B to place you in contact with Mick Hatton, the 1:76/2 British vehicle and RAF guru who used to stay in Bothasig....if there is someone to advise you it would be him.

Give my regards to those two land-mine proof boys!

Regards

Tim H