An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

A chap is busy with work - glances away from BM for a moment or two - and glances back to find we are 4 pages into a Debs thread.

Not only is the pace of 21st century life getting too much for this poor old boy - it seems that the pace on BM is likewise accelerating :)

A you may have guessed - I have nothing of any value to add to the Herc discussion - having only bad memories of seemingly endless hours as a piece of baggage stuffed into invariably uncomfortable corners down the back of a Herc on route to detachment destinations various. And subject to the gopping pax meals Debs refers to, and the inevitable condescension of the loadie.....

That said - I fully understand the almost universal appreciation for a jolly fine aircraft from all but this must bigoted of perspectives :) and I wouldn't miss this thread for the world.

Crack on Debs - another attentive follower on board.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

I'm on board too. As an Air Cadet we had our summer camp at Lyneham. I spent a lot of time on the flight line marshalling and bagged several flights too. Happy times, very happy times. Albert has to be one of my favourite aircraft...

I remember C Scale! Must be 25+ years ago when they appeared, albeit briefly. Considered quite high tech at the time. If their Harrier T.2/4 set is any reference then yours should be ok.

Trevor the old

I expected Snoopy, 'cos of prior conversations with herself, so I'm not disappointed but since I also got to handle many of ED Models's C-Scale stuff when it came out (Ed's a good friend) I would enjoy watching you make the tanker with the C-Scale gear onboard

Is it in a bad way at all Debs?

Thinking about it does anyone still make C-Scale stuff any more? (I did the 'Shrike underneath a Vulcan wing' Vulcan that hung in the shop for Eddie, way back in the mists...)

Their Wopse kit would gladden many a heart I reckon

BTW are you aware that they landed Albert on the USS Forrestal? And without a hook neither!

Hook? Who needs a hook?

A mighty fine piece of flying that makes it look so easy, I'd like to see them try that on the Illustrious, That would take some skill (along with stubbier wings)!

This will be an eye opener for me as I said my Hercy knowledge isn't great but I am always open to a bit of cross service education! Just a point on those plans, showing the oversize ramp. Do the plans take into account parallax error? or are the ramps shown flat? They do look long but held at the correct angle then they would be about the right length, just a wee thought :winkgrin:

Any way crack on, looking forward to this progressing!

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Debs,

Silly question but was the APU located in the port side sponson ? as there looks like an exhaust outlet there with a polished metal plate I don't know if this is right for RAF machines .

I was by Weston Green between Oxford and Bicester today and a C-130 dropped three large parachutes into there despite the weather ( low cloud base ! )

Guy

Ah right thanks for clarifying that Debs did wonder !

I'm after the 1/48 H so I also can do an RAF bird so will be with you all the way with these.

Guy

Looking forward to seeing your builds Ascoteer! I was stationed at Lyneham (Ground Radio) and have a soft spot for Albert. My little brother was Aircrew on 47 Sqn whilst I was there. There is nothing worse than being outranked by a sibling....

I've just happily read all five pages and its brought back many fantastic memories of my first "proper" posting as an 'engine man' after joining the RAF. I started work in the little shed in the middle of the airfield aka Central Handling Flight. I then graduated to 'B' shift on 'B Line' where my globe trotting horizons were really opened up.

I had many firsts at Lyneham on Herc's including my first time flying, my first time abroad, my first time marshalling an aircraft in reverse. People have said how low the Herc's flew but I vividly remember looking out the cockpit UP at a hill farmer as he looked DOWN at us speeding through his valley. I've also stood right on the edge of the open ramp door with my toes out in space and pee'd over Wiltshire.

On long trips across the Atlantic I was lucky enough to have brilliant aircrew who suggested that I might "fancy a go at flying?" I spent hours in the captains seat flying over the Atlantic and 'Landing' on cloud tops, complete with landing gear and flaps. I did get lots of help from the co-pilot and the real captain was probably keeping a good watch from his position on the bunk.

One of my favorite skiving places during the summer was to walk up the ramp, climb out the emergency exit and sunbathe on the tailplane safe in the knowledge that the "Chief" would never spot me.

So, as soon as I've worked out how to do it, I'll be following your thread with interest and nostalgia.

• Like 4

Holy c***, a couple of days and I've missed a whole book's worth! Great stuff here and nice to learn a bit about Albert too.

Sadly my 1000+ hrs (out of over 8,500 total) is C208 Caravan but it's a fun aircraft to fly, especially when you want to scare a new co-pilot with a high, short approach...we can bring the prop back a la Dominie and use the Barn Door effect very nicely....I had my low-time co-pilot laughing hysterically and screaming "no way...you're sh***ing me!" a couple of days ago....we were stopped well before the 1,000' markers and he forgot to talk to the ground controllers! I LOVE flying the airplane, not letting it fly me!

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2