An Albert's Tale (or four, or even five)..... Actually a Beady Eyed Herky Debs Albert Epic...

The avatar is the Pole-Evans farm on Saunders Island in West Falkland - the Island is amazing, a veritable nature resurve with penguins, all sorts of sea birds, seals, walrus, porpoise, and even orcas. The Pole-Evans family had adopted 1312 Flt (the Herc Det) and got somewhat ansty if you didn't spend your mid-tour R n R staying with them. They also regularly asked for flypasts. :D

I knew the location. We had a talk from another Albert driver, and some photos. In one shot we were looking down on the Albert. :pilot:

As a result I shall use the 'Flightpath' fuselage 'plugs' when I come to do my CMk3 - actually in much the same way as Marshalls stretched the CMk3s.

I used the Flightpath plugs on a C-130J-30 I built for the USAF SIG. My advice is to plan to keep the airframe closed up as the fit is not too good. I used plastic sheet on the ends to get a decent joint, but the end result was good.

Looking forward to your builds be interesting to see what wonders you do with them, would love to see any photos you might have of NW shows.

Guy

Ascoteer, on 10 Dec 2015 - 07:41 AM, said:

I'll try to make your stay not too uncomfortable! ;)

3. Decouple. If the negative torque builds up to -6000 inch.pounds then the prop will decouple from the gearbox, thus making it free spinning and instantly killing the drag. This is not a panacea however, since a decoupled prop can rapidly overspeed (whereas a pitch locked prop is governed to a maximum 103% rpm). There was a case where a Canadian Aurora (P3 Orion - effectively the same engines and props as Albert) had a decoupled prop that 'walked' off the front of the engine, resulting in the loss of the aircraft.

Oh, I'm going to thoroughly enjoy it despite the post-traumatic stress :P

I can't find any online Aurora accident reports apart from this one, and that's not an airframe loss. Wikipedia mentions a couple of USN Orions which suffered propeller incidents in 9178 and 1979:

26 October 1978: USN P-3C 159892 coded AF-586 from NAS Adak Patrol Squadron 9 (VP-9) ditched at sea after an engine fire caused by a propeller malfunction. Ten of the 15-man crew were rescued by a Soviet trawler.[62]

27 June 1979: P-3B 154596 from NAS Cubi Point, Philippines Patrol Squadron 22 (VP-22) had a propeller overspeed shortly after departure. The number 4 propeller then departed the aircraft striking the number three with a subsequent fire on that engine. While attempting an overweight landing with 2 engines out, the aircraft stalled, rolled inverted and crashed in Subic Bay just past Grande Island. Four crew and one passenger were killed in the crash.[63]

Interestingly, Wikipedia says that there's only been one propeller overspeed incident with the entire global Albert fleet in all the accidents they recorded:

September 24, 1994: L-100-30 PK-PLV of Pelita Air Service crashed into water on take-off from Kai Tak Airport, Hong Kong, overspeed on number four propeller. This was the second and last Hercules accident at this airport.

That's an impressive testament to Lockheed's efforts to prevent such incidents. I also like the mention that the RAF's Alberts have the best safety record of any RAF aircraft :)

Just stumbled into this build and it looks an interesting one. Alberts don't really float my boat (unless you stick an arrester hook on one) but you have my attention and looking forward to this progressing. My only experience of Hercies was flying back from Sierra Leone in 2000. The first flight from Sierra Leone to Senegal was in a Canadian C-130 and then Senegal to Lynham (I think) in the Royal Air Forces finest. There was one huge difference between the two aircraft, the inflight nosh in the Canadian one was delicious but heaven knows where the Air Force dug their food up from! It was rank, nearly poisoned this unfortunate Matelot, luckily it was only about a 10 hour flight!

Bob

Ascoteer, on 10 Dec 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

Hi Jessica,

.BANG No 2 has departed the datum.

Followed by loss of control, crash, burn.

No, that sequence is neither approved nor recommended for operational flying. It tends to ruin your entire day.

Of course, once more it emphasizes what I like about flying gliders.

• Like 2

Hi Dolphin,

Sadly Pax meals on Albert were, as you say, gopping! We suffered just as badly if we were 'Dead Heading' (positioning crews down route); many is the time I have wanted to assault (and pepper) some 'chef' with a white 'Buttie Box'!

Having said that, the times I have been on board the Royal Navy's finest the food has been utter cac! (Booze has been good tho).

30 all methinks ;)

BTW are you aware that they landed Albert on the USS Forrestal? And without a hook neither!

• Like 1

Wow. Just caught up with the thread and almost feel like an Albert expert already! Got me all excited in anticipation. An epic build awaits though....one could say a herculean task...groan couldn't resist it sorry. I'll do the gentlemanly thing and get my :coat:......

• Like 1

Ascoteer, on 10 Dec 2015 - 12:06 PM, said:

Hi Dolphin,

Sadly Pax meals on Albert were, as you say, gopping!

BTW are you aware that they landed Albert on the USS Forrestal? And without a hook neither!

CF box lunches are justly praised the world over. Just don't ask about IMPs.

Hook? Who needs a hook?

• Like 4

Slightly off topic but I recall hearing of a photo on a Christmas card Shorts supposedly sent to Lockheed, which showed the nose of an Albert sticking out of the back of a Belfast. Apparently Shorts needed some fettling of both to get a fit (so presumably to give Lockheed one!).

Never tracked it down on the interwebby though so it may be apocryphal?

Back to your scheduled programme......

Trevor

Slightly off topic but I recall hearing of a photo on a Christmas card Shorts supposedly sent to Lockheed, which showed the nose of an Albert sticking out of the back of a Belfast. Apparently Shorts needed some fettling of both to get a fit (so presumably to give Lockheed one!).

Never tracked it down on the interwebby though so it may be apocryphal?

Back to your scheduled programme......

Trevor

I know we used the Belfast to transport Herk mainspars. At the time it was the only a/c with the capability.

If it counts for anything, I'd like to see either #1 or #2. Special schemes are always good, and there's never enough love shown for the bog standard trash haulers; it's always the rare specials that get built.

By that token, make it a firm vote for the Bosnia machine. ;)

I'd share photos, but all I have are RAAF versions.