1/48 T-38C Talon II (Trumpeter)

Count me in with the 1/48th Trumpeter T-38C Talon II.

Obligatory box top and sprues shot, I have already dusted all the parts with Halfords grey primer.

IMGP9929size1024_zpsfqhbou1u.jpg

I do like Northrop's twin seater and I think that the Talon looks much more graceful than the F-5 fighter types. I am looking for a simple and quick out-of-the-box build, I took this photo from outside Vance AFB near Enid, OK on 11th November 2006, she was T-38C 67-14829 operated by the 71st FTW and this is the colour scheme and markings I will be using.

T-38C67-14829Vance06MB1024_zpsmqxktmxt.j

Michael

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Michael, nice to have you along.

I think everyone will agree with you that the T-38 did have nicer lines than the F-5 series, I think it has something to do with it having a two-seater nose...sort of balances out it look. Either way it turning out to be a very popular build.

Well good luck with the build, I hope it's an enjoyable and trouble free one and look forward to seeing her finished.

I think everyone will agree with you that the T-38 did have nicer lines than the F-5 series...

Now just a minute- while I've got no complaints about the T-38, I have to say that the F-5F might get my vote- sort of analogous to a Spit IX (T-38) vs a Spit FR.XIV (low-back). But any sane person would simply select "E: All of the above."

bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have been distracted by an F-102A over Christmas and the New Year, started this Talon again last week putting as much of the cockpit together as possible before joining the fuselage halves then adding the wings, tail fin, and air intakes. So now she looks like this:

IMGP9968size_zps4pvcvqpq.jpg

My main hobby used to be aircraft photography and one reason I like building scale aircraft kits is that it helps me to see an aircraft in 3D as opposed to just one perspective. I have seen quite a few T-38 Talons on my travels over the years (since 1985) but I never really appreciated just how slender and delicate the T-38 really is.

The Trumpeter kit does generally go together very well, the wings and tail fin have to be one of the best fitting assemblies I have encountered. Unfortunately I did put the fuselage in a vice after I applied the cement and maybe that was not a good idea, some filler will be needed:

IMGP9969size_zps5htqfhkz.jpg

The cockpits don't look too bad, I have used the kit decals for the instrument panel details and I need to add some matt black paint however overall I am pleased with what is proving to be an easy and pleasant build.

Michael

IMGP9966size_zpsugygcbfb.jpg

• Like 3

The cockpits look great, very nicely detailed.

By the looks of it the Trumpeter model goes together nicely, though the fuselage joining method they us is a bit different to the rest.

• 5 months later...

Oh! Has the GB ended? :oops:

Anyway, have started on this Trumpeter T-38C Talon again, has surfaced from the 10 aircraft currently on the shelf of doom. Used Humbrol Satin 125 and 126 enamels for the main colours but my masking wasn't too good. Decals OOB and they have gone on really well. Not too much more to do, is a nice easy kit. Not my best by far but worth finishing as it will fill a small gap in the display cabinet.

Michael

IMGP2153size_zpsd2xtxspw.jpg

Really nice quick and fun build.

A very rare Saturday off for me and have had an enjoyable afternoon, finished with cutting off the PE parts for canopy mirrors and attaching them with Mister Sticky's Medium Viscosity Cyanoacrylate, then painting the mirrors silver with a very fine brush and Vallejo silver. Way more detail than I normally do and have the PE seat belts to do next and looking forward to it. Reminds me that having fun is as equally important than the end result.