RF-4B US Marines VMCJ-1 (Hasegawa 1/72)

NontasB

Good to see the paint job started, Nontas; looking great so far! :thumbsup: And those pods are amazing :clap: :clap:

Nice pods!

(I think I said that to a young lass once and got slapped...)

:rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 1

Just fantastic, Nontas. I've added your thread to Giorgio's two Phantom builds as reference!! Beautiful work.

Gene K

Thank you Gene!! Your advice and your photo posts are the best reference for all of us!! Thank you for all!! :thumbsup:

Nice pods!

(I think I said that to a young lass once and got slapped...)

Cheers,

Bill

Haha!! Thank you very much Bill!! :thumbsup:

Beautiful work. Such imporant reference material you are producing - thank you!!

Jay

Thank you very much Jay!! :thumbsup:

Good to see the paint job started, Nontas; looking great so far! :thumbsup: And those pods are amazing :clap: :clap:

:rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

Thank you Giorgio!! It was about time to start painting. In the next days I will paint the light gull gray. I hope everything will be ok after this. :thumbsup:

More exceptional work Nontas, I'm another who has this bookmarked for reference.

Thank you very much Airgunner!! :thumbsup:

Looking better with each update Nontas, really like the pods too, look forward to your next update!

David

Thank you very much David!! In a few days the next update, after Champions League games this week...I hope :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Thanks Sven for you nice words.

There is a progress in this build but I haven't post anything yet. I've come back and forth in this build for a couple of times. The model now is full painted, I have applied most of the decals but after a mistake in the application of one decal (the decal cracked into a thousant pieces - Hasegawa decals) I put it in the closet once again. 

Then, after seeing a few photographs of Tomcats, I started a new 1/72nd F-14A from the early 80s, so that is my main model-build for now.

I hope during the summer holidays the RF will be finished.

Just two quick photos that I have uploaded in my facebook page, AirModels72 .

17457918_1311428558937316_31102434827064

17757373_1321787897901382_10791656973670

Regards,

Nontas

• Like 5

Hi Nontas, good to see there's been some progress here - but I'm also sorry you had trouble with decals :( (have I ever told you I hate decals? :badmood: )

Keep it up!

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio!! Haha, yes decals are my favorites too!!! The specific decal it's easy replaceable, but my nerves aren't!! :wall:

So I put it aside for a while to calm my nerves down.  :D:D:D

I hope there will be progress in the near future.

Regards,

Nontas

• Like 1

Talk about a jolt! That first pic without the decals immediately shot an image from 1984 to the front of my little brain. I remember seeing a VMFP-2 bird at El Toro looking almost exactly like this (no canopy, no wing tips, no engines). I think they were converting to the TSP grey scheme at the time, so the airframe may have been being prepped for new paint (though I thought the Navy saved full re-paints for the re-work facility). Or maybe it was just awaiting salvage. The image in my mind still has ghost images of the markings on it, but your model's state of play really brought that memory to the fore.

I'm with you on putting some WIP models away for a cool-down period. I have more than a few of those, the most taunting being an A-Model T-4 Sotka. I really want to finish it, but there are times I'd like to blow-up the whole thing.

Loving your work and looking forward to more.

Sven

OVT

Edited by Old Viper Tester
  • Like 2

Sven and James thank you very much!! :smile:

Sven the image on your mind is a good idea for a diorama. A plane awaiting a new fate. If I won't make it to finish it by this summer, maybe I should start thinking of this idea. Anyway, I'm pretty close. :D

A cool down period is very usual for me and my builds. I've got around 22 planes (at least those are the ones I remember) in 1/72 and 2 in 1/48 that they are half way there and for some reason they were abandoned to my glorious AMARC-shelf. I have hopes for all of them that one day I will finish them...but that day is far far away for now. The RF by now is in examination if it fits in the AMARC-shelf or not. We will see... :wink::D

Regards,

Nontas

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NontasB said:

The RF by now is in examination if it fits in the AMARC-shelf or not. We will see... :wink::D

Oh come on, you're almost there with it! :whistle: 

Ciao

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Whats this 80's tomcat you're getting sidetracked with? 

:) 

The Tomcat that I am currently dealing with, is Academy's F-14A. Simple build, not many additions. I'm planning to build it as a VF-51 Screaming Eagles 1981 deployment aboard USS Kitty Hawk. :smile:

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh come on, you're almost there with it! :whistle: 

Ciao

Yes, indeed Giorgio......but I do have other builds in that AMARC-shelf that are even closer to finish and still they're waiting their fate... :D

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Hi @NontasB 

Digging up a very old thread here as I was researching how to craft RF-4 recon cameras.

Was the phantom ever completed and is there some pics to feast our eyes on?

• Like 1

Hi @cpoud117,

Unfortunately the RF-4B is "officially" still in progress. Unofficial, I have not dealt with it since 2016-2017 and it is closed into a box with other unfinished projects.

Someday I hope it will come up again at my bench, in companion with the other Phantoms that are in progress too.

Nontas

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NontasB said:

Hi @cpoud117,

Unfortunately the RF-4B is "officially" still in progress. Unofficial, I have not dealt with it since 2016-2017 and it is closed into a box with other unfinished projects.

Someday I hope it will come up again at my bench, in companion with the other Phantoms that are in progress too.

Nontas

I hope you find the motivation to come back to it one day, I'm sure a number of us would love to see it built :)

• Like 3