Lockheed Constellation L-749 decal recommendations

Wez

I'm not an airliner modeller BUT, I've had the Heller 1/72nd Connie in my stash ever since it came out.

I've got a hankering to make it, probably for the Airliner III GB but the decals are shot.

Can anyone recommend some after market decals for this beast, I'm looking for something particularly colourful.

TIA

Wez

Hi Wez,

Vintage Flyer decals produce a few decals in 1/72 scale for Constellations,I haven't used them but they seem to get good reviews...........

http://www.vintageflyerdecals.com/l-1049-constellation.html

Malcolm

Thanks Malcom, there's a couple of interesting and unusual choices there, I'll just have to see what the timing is for the Airliners III GB now.

Wez

Hi there

I have used vintage flyer decals on my just finished stratocruiser (in ready for inspection) they were very thin and easy enough to apply..he does not print white (they look like laser decals)so you need white paint under the decal to show through the clear bits.

I am also building the L749 Connie now have gotten the propliner bug, I too am after a set of decals, one of the Heller boxings came with a set of KLM Flying Dutchman markings and I am after one of those if anyone has them spare in their decal remnants boxes. I bought some dutch decal KLM Constellation decals but too late I realised they are for the L1049

(lucky I have one of those in the stash too though I was going to do a Qantas or Air ceylon on that one!

Sometimes it is not necessary to look for a new decals shett. You have a lot in your stash.

For my Constellation I decided for a INdian Navy plane.

Only the indian roundels are from the after market (forgot who are).

Navy was from the US Navy,

The plane lokks like a civilian airliner:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/14212178410/in/dateposted/

modelldoc

Sometimes it is not necessary to look for a new decals shett. You have a lot in your stash.

For my Constellation I decided for a INdian Navy plane.

Only the indian roundels are from the after market (forgot who are).

Navy was from the US Navy,

The plane lokks like a civilian airliner:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/14212178410/in/dateposted/

modelldoc

That's a nice looking Super Connie MD, well done :thumbsup2:

Thanks for the tip, but I really do want to do a civilian airliner with this one.

Hi there

I have used vintage flyer decals on my just finished stratocruiser (in ready for inspection) they were very thin and easy enough to apply..he does not print white (they look like laser decals)so you need white paint under the decal to show through the clear bits.

I am also building the L749 Connie now have gotten the propliner bug, I too am after a set of decals, one of the Heller boxings came with a set of KLM Flying Dutchman markings and I am after one of those if anyone has them spare in their decal remnants boxes. I bought some dutch decal KLM Constellation decals but too late I realised they are for the L1049

(lucky I have one of those in the stash too though I was going to do a Qantas or Air ceylon on that one!

I saw some Qantas decals for an L-749 - can't for the life of me find where now. It was the 1953 Royal Tour scheme.

Thanks for the tip on the Vintage Flyer decals.

Hi there

Hi Wally , I have not got a KLM sheet but I do have an Air France if you cannot find a KLM or change your mind .

Hi Wally , I have not got a KLM sheet but I do have an Air France if you cannot find a KLM or change your mind .

"thanks for the offer old chap, awfully sporting of you", I type whilst adjusting my monocle..

I have lashed out and bought some vintage decals Eastern Airlines decals for this bird... L749 colour schemes were a bit bland for my tastes

cheers and many thanks

wal

Hawkeye Models does them. Their site doesn't allow direct links to the pages, so you have to search a bit:

CDS 049 Qantas Empire Airways

CDS 136 Qantas Queen's Coronation (probably the one you remember)

That's the one Jessica (CDS136), thanks for the gen.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Just a heads-up - the red on the standard parts of CDS136 is a bit off. The official Qantas colour for cheat lines, titles, etc in that scheme was Dulux Carnation Red - close enough to Humbrol 20 Gloss Crimson. I've seen a chip of the actual paint, and it's a good deal more maroon than the red used on the copy of the decal sheet in my stash.

Just a heads-up - the red on the standard parts of CDS136 is a bit off. The official Qantas colour for cheat lines, titles, etc in that scheme was Dulux Carnation Red - close enough to Humbrol 20 Gloss Crimson. I've seen a chip of the actual paint, and it's a good deal more maroon than the red used on the copy of the decal sheet in my stash.

What he said. I have a sample of the actual paint and is darker and slightly bluer than the decal suggests. H20 is close enough for all but a colour obsessive.

What he said. I have a sample of the actual paint and is darker and slightly bluer than the decal suggests. H20 is close enough for all but a colour obsessive.

Thanks guys, that's put me off of that scheme.

Renaissaince has just announced Air france decals for the L-049/L-749. The item number is RF72043:

rf72043_constellation_decals-2.jpg

Price is 20 Euros.

They also have this for 20 Euros:

RF72044: Speedpak Lockheed L749 Constellation

rf72044_speedpak_constellation_02.jpg

René

René

The only thing missing from your post is a link! :Tasty:

Edited by Wez

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, that's put me off of that scheme.

René

The only thing missing from your post is a link! :Tasty:

Yes - and to make it interesting I included a typo for free!

I actually wanted to include a link but could not find their page myself - I only found their page again today (and bookmarked it this time):

http://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/contactez-nous

René

• Like 1

Yes - and to make it interesting I included a typo for free!

I actually wanted to include a link but could not find their page myself - I only found their page again today (and bookmarked it this time):

http://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/contactez-nous

René

René

Some really interesting stuff there - thanks for the link.

Wez