1/48 - Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 by Trumpeter - released

Homebee

The parts count is about the same as the Airfix 1/72 kit (70) and much less than the Airfix 1/48 kit (113). I'm pretty sure the white code letters for HT-W should be MSG and the roundel colours are too bright.

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The parts count is about the same as the Airfix 1/72 kit (70) and much less than the Airfix 1/48 kit (113). I'm pretty sure the white code letters for HT-W should be MSG and the roundel colours are too bright.

No point commenting on the brightness of the colors on the decal sheet since it's only a digital image and not the actual decal sheet, that all depends on how they print it. Even when looking at a decal sheet, colours can change a surprising amount when removed from the backing sheet.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

No point commenting on the brightness of the colors on the decal sheet since it's only a digital image and not the actual decal sheet, that all depends on how they print it. Even when looking at a decal sheet, colours can change a surprising amount when removed from the backing sheet.

If they use the same colours as the westland whirlwind then  the colours are to bright and the decals will need to be replaced but it's not the end of the world .

8 hours ago, Homebee said:

Released - Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 - ref.02899

http://www.trumpeter.cn/index.php?g=home&m=product&a=show&id=2954&l=en

586dec784c34b.jpg

586dec6aad133.jpg

V.P.

upperwiing B type roundels are wrong proportions

Boulton%20Paul%20Defiant%208%20(18)-960.

from

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/08-Boulton-Paul-Defiant

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

upperwiing B type roundels are wrong proportions

Boulton%20Paul%20Defiant%208%20(18)-960.

from

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/08-Boulton-Paul-Defiant

Yes, B  roundels IIRC should have a 2.5 ratio and it looks like Trumpeter have used around 2.3, which does make the red look a bit big.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little hesitant but there's something wrong with the rear fuselage. Either it's the right length but bloated or the right cross-section but too short. I think. The wing chord may be too long as well.

The turret transparency looks pretty sharp though.

Yeah...looks like there's only one position for the turret fairings.  Also, the rear fuselage does look odd.  The opening for the turret sweeps upwards so it's higher to the rear of the turret than at the front when, in reality, the front and rear rims are at the same level.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Also, the rear fuselage does look odd.  The opening for the turret sweeps upwards so it's higher to the rear of the turret than at the front when, in reality, the front and rear rims are at the same level.

I would agree, it looks to me like the fuselage top decking (and natural line) comes higher up aft of the turret than it does ahead of it, I wonder it that is contributing to the bloated look mentioned earlier?

Hi

It would be interesting to see a side by side plastic comparism with the airfix and classic airframes kits 

but the clear parts do look realy nice and clear :) 

cheers

jerry

The main wheel and leg doors look better than the Airfix kit: Trumpeter have moulded them separately where Airfix have moulded them as one piece.  Guess how much bad language I've used separating the bits in the Airfix kit, go on, guess!

The exhausts look from their orientation and location on the sprue as though they have been moulded with open ends (can anyone check please?) which is another job and/or additional expense avoided.

Trumpeter have also moulded the tail wheel and its leg as separate parts, so one up on Airfix there too, but I don't think it's enough to get me to change allegiance from Airfix on this occasion.

Edited by stever219
More blethering

@Dave Fleming About the time the Airfix kit came out I seem to remember that being asked somewhere IIRC the answer was no, I'll try and find the source.

@VMA131Marine Thanks for that picture, it answers my doubts. The main issue is that the angled movable piece is too short and set too high up the fuselage. To maintain a plausible width to this piece they would have to widen the upper side of the rear fuselage. Effectively an 'O' most of the way to a 'U' I believe this would give the bloated look I mentioned above.

IMHO the wing root fairing extends too far back along the fuselage but I'm annoyed that I can't see what's bothering me about the wings.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:38 AM, Tbolt said:

Yes, B  roundels IIRC should have a 2.5 ratio and it looks like Trumpeter have used around 2.3, which does make the red look a bit big.

This drawing actually looks a lot like the Trumpeter kit, but if you compare it to the photo of the Hendon Defiant that I posted later in the thread it does not appear to be particularly accurate. The drawing has the same short rear retractable fairing of the Trumpeter kit and the line showing where the top of the fairing would be when retracted is above the top of the turret ring. In the photo of the Hendon aircraft the top of the turret ring is clearly at the level of the retracted fairing. Because of the shallow angle, the small height error translates into a large error in the length of the rear retractable fairing on the Trumpeter kit.

Here's a great air-to-air shot that shows the cross section a bit better:

97f20e90ffb474beb28744d490213606.jpg

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

Let me admit that I enjoy a good rip into the very first public CAD renderings of any new kit as well as anyone, the more red lines the better, or seeing Trumpeter get slammed again and again as conscienceless knaves, but something about the sprue photos posted earlier in this thread makes me think that the shape deficiencies noted (fuselage depth, wing chord) may be due to image distortion - either a slight compression from side to side or a slight vertical elongation of the images themselves. As always, it might be better to have styrene in hand before lighting the torches. Just sayin'...

John

• Like 2