1/48 - Industria Aeronautică Română IAR-80 by HobbyBoss - released

Homebee

Yes since this will be the only available injection IAR.80 in 1/48th scale lets hope they get it right.

Well, one can still find the LTD 1/48 IAR-80 on eBay but yuck. :)

http://www.swannysmodels.com/IAR80C.html

I have Icaerodesign's briliiant resin kit so if I'm going to even consider the new HB kit it will have to be very good! Dare we hope.

Eric

I have Icaerodesign's briliiant resin kit so if I'm going to even consider the new HB kit it will have to be very good! Dare we hope.

Eric

All I've found recently on eBay is 1/72 kits, but if it's that bad them I'm sure the LTD turns up now and then. I passed on the Icaerodesign kit , I figured that by the time I would actually get a around to building it there would be a descent injection kit out :)

Eric

HobbyBoss an original mould of a Rumanian design ?

I bet it is going to be a shameless copy of the Icaero ! but in this shameless world better this than a copy of the LTD !. Shame on me !

Madcop

• Like 1

All I've found recently on eBay is 1/72 kits, but if it's that bad them I'm sure the LTD turns up now and then. I passed on the Icaerodesign kit , I figured that by the time I would actually get a around to building it there would be a descent injection kit out :)

There are a couple on eBay now but I'd still wait on the HB kit. Especially at the price the one guy is trying to get! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-LTD-IAR-80A-Romanian-Fighter-/321935614304

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LTD-1-48-IAR-80A-RUMANIAN-FIGHTER-/281654865158

Eric

There are a couple on eBay now but I'd still wait on the HB kit. Especially at the price the one guy is trying to get! :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-48-LTD-IAR-80A-Romanian-Fighter-/321935614304

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LTD-1-48-IAR-80A-RUMANIAN-FIGHTER-/281654865158

Eric

To be honest I only usually browse the UK eBay, but yes I'll wait and see what Trumpeter do.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lets hope the RD team got Radu Brinzans book on the subject... Would be nice if they nailed it - although I have lost confident in them.

That's why I'm waiting to see some plastic, hopefully once it hits the West we might actually get some pictures of it.

Lets hope the RD team got Radu Brinzans book on the subject... Would be nice if they nailed it - although I have lost confident in them.

Looking at the graphics shown so far, it appears that they used the drawings published in Modelism in 1989/1990 and widely available on the internet. This is evidenced by the very close landing gear bays - these were based on the previously-held concept that the early versions had a longer landing gear, thus needing a longer landing gear bay in each wing, but latest research findings show that the landing gear length never changed and the distance/panel between the landing gear bays should be a lot wider. The wing shown in these graphics depicts a 4-gun wing, which is suitable for "Nr.42" but "Nr.135" had a 6-gun wing that also involves some extra access panels and spent cartridge openings, which are not shown in the illustration. Either way, the modeller will need to either fill-in some access panels for one version or scribe some panels for the other. Furthermore, the colour call-outs and camouflage patterns also diverge from the latest research findings. So, my only hope is that the person who created the graphics was just a bit lazy and used drawings he/she found on the internet without consulting with the CAD team and that the CAD design was done elsewhere by someone who did their due diligence and used the latest research findings. We shall see more when the plastic shall be revealed.

Radu

• Like 3

So, my only hope is that the person who created the graphics was just a bit lazy and used drawings he/she found on the internet without consulting with the CAD team and that the CAD design was done elsewhere by someone who did their due diligence and used the latest research findings. We shall see more when the plastic shall be revealed.

Radu

Instruction sheet drawings come from the CAD model so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Photos of the plastic are up on the website. As feared, the kit appears to be based on the drawings published in Modelism drawn by Dan Iloiu in 1989, widely available on the internet. The drawings are quite good and I still consider them among of the best around with some small caveats. The biggest problem in those drawings is with the landing gears and wheel wells, which are too long. The space on the "belly" panel between the two landing gear bays was quite large, but in the drawings (and this kit) they are way too close.

However, for those who care for accuracy, all of the points I made in the post above still apply. However, with some corrective work, this can be a made into a model close to accurate.

The cockpit parts are totally spurious - the modeller will need to scratch-build it. The cut in the fuselage spine means that the canopy can only be posed closed - for open canopies, the modeller will need to fill in the canopy-shaped gouge. The engine looks nothing like a Gnome Rhone 14K - Vector Models makes a very nice resin engine, so that addressed that issue. The landing gear is too long and in turn, so are the landing gear doors - the landing gear bays will be the hardest thing to fix, this requires a completely new section between the wings with the correct space between the wheel well and the rest of the landing gear bays needs to be scratch-built. The wing is a 4-gun wing, which is suitable only for planes up to No. 50. The modeller will need to scribe the wing access panels and spent cartridge ejection chutes for later versions.

The colour schemes depicted are spurious, the colours should be "Dark Earth" & "Dark Green" (similar to RAF) over a light blue similar to Sky Blue (as in the type used by the RAAF, FS25550). The camouflage demarcation patterns depicted are totally wrong. More info in this book http://mmpbooks.biz/shop2/product.php?productid=17698&cat=&page=1

57d7a6f5b6216.jpg

57d7a6fa1fa4e.jpg

57d7a6fb730b0.jpg

Edited by radub
  • Like 2

Having your book will help to correct the kit - I might consider if I get it at a reasonable price. But correcting the landing gear really puts me off a little. Looks not very difficult but I currently learn the hard way on a Concorde I try to correct how awful these areas can be. Too bad HobbyBoss failed again. Well - still better than their Vampire...

Well what a disappointment, IF only they would do a little more research......even if there were small issues to correct that would be fine, or cockpits to detail etc. It seems to easy for these guys and other to just bang out kits that are just plain bad, would not be so bad if they were super cheap, but they are not, so any and all corrective measures make them really expensive.

Ali

• Like 1

Well what a disappointment, IF only they would do a little more research......even if there were small issues to correct that would be fine, or cockpits to detail etc. It seems to easy for these guys and other to just bang out kits that are just plain bad, would not be so bad if they were super cheap, but they are not, so any and all corrective measures make them really expensive.

Ali

And this the problem when companies do this, the kit's sales are not what expected and the industry puts that down to a lack of appetite for the subject rather than a lack of appetite for a poorly executed depiction of the type.

I really like this type and would buy a well executed and accurate kit, having got Radu's book I appreciate what a minefield the subject is but the information's out there if you can be bothered to look properly. Sadly, I won't be buying this kit.

Edited by Wez

I did not mean to put anyone off, I was just pointing out the areas that need correction for an accurate model.

The landing gear bays are the hardest part to fix, but I did not mean it was an impossible task. ;-)

Radu

Edited by radub

And this the problem when companies do this, the kit's sales are not what expected and the industry puts that down to a lack of appetite for the subject rather than a lack of appetite for a poorly executed depiction of the type.

I really like this type and would buy a well executed and accurate kit, having got Radu's book I appreciate what a minefield the subject is but the information's out there if you can be bothered to look properly. Sadly, I won't be buying this kit.

I'd really like a nice kit of the 80/81 as well - I really wanted this to be an accurate kit, but yet again poor research leaves us with a model which will take a lot of work to make accurate. I may end up buying it, I'm not sure yet.