1/72 McDD F-4 C Phantom II, Hasegawa/Monogram kitbash - COMPLETED!

giemme

Hi giemme, I'm just catching up on looking at the work of those people kind enough to look at and comment on my fledgling efforts... I've never built a plane, it's one of those things that requires too much effort to do properly - having seen this I definitely think I'll stick to simple things for the present! Your use of wash and weathering is superb, and the attention to detail is stunning. Stix has always spoken admiringly about your work and looking at this build I can see why. Great stuff!!! :goodjob::clap::clap::bangin:

• Like 1

Been NORDO for a while and just catching up as well. This Phantom is looking phantastic!

Taking lots of notes and hoping I can do half as well when I start taking on my rhino collection (retirement in 6 days and counting).

Sven

Old Viper Tester

• Like 2

Impressive work on the weathering Giorgio! :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime, glad you like it! :thumbsup:

That streaking is subtle.... Beautifully so! You have such finesse when it comes to the details giemme, really makes your models stand out.... And me envious

Rob

:D Thanks Rob :thumbsup: No need to be envious, detailing is something you build up, kit after kit.

Looking amazing my friend

What an incredible build

Keep up the good work

Molto Bene

Cheers

bruce

Cheers Bruce, glad to hear from you! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the comment, mate!

Hi giemme, I'm just catching up on looking at the work of those people kind enough to look at and comment on my fledgling efforts... I've never built a plane, it's one of those things that requires too much effort to do properly - having seen this I definitely think I'll stick to simple things for the present! Your use of wash and weathering is superb, and the attention to detail is stunning. Stix has always spoken admiringly about your work and looking at this build I can see why. Great stuff!!! :goodjob::clap::clap::bangin:

Mrs. Plastix, glad to have you on board, too! :thumbsup: Thanks for your comment, you are very kind; I hope you are limiting to the current WIPs for the catching-up activity, otherwise you'll end up reading threads on BM more than modelling yourself :winkgrin::D :D

Been NORDO for a while and just catching up as well. This Phantom is looking phantastic!

Taking lots of notes and hoping I can do half as well when I start taking on my rhino collection (retirement in 6 days and counting).

Sven

Old Viper Tester

Had to google for NORDO :D :D. Thanks for your comment, Sven, much appreciated :thumbsup: All my best for your retirement, sounds like in the near future we will have some interesting progress report from you too! :whistle:

Everybody: later for WE progress report

Ciao

• Like 1

Here we go with WE progress report; not much time for modelling, actually, because I had to take care of my yard, plus had dinner with friends on Saturday :cheers:

Anyway: exhausts glued in place

27092928412_71bdcab909_b.jpg

26583601273_459b3b2b9a_b.jpg

27092927642_92a0e9917e.jpg

I started working on a base for the kit; Cam Ranh AFB ground was mainly covered with aluminium planking, of which I wasn't able to gather any detail as far as sizes are concerned. So I went by the pics Gene supplied and used eyeballing, to cut out some cardboard stripes and glue them on a wooden base:

26583600803_498430a1a9_b.jpg

I then sprayed some Tamiya Gloss Aluminium from a rattle can on it

27188451375_eaa0896ef8_b.jpg

then went along the panel lines with very thinned Tamiya Flat black, airbrushed, adding also some random stains

26583599953_0ab7fe0ef9_b.jpg

The main "feature" of Cam Ranh Bay was ... sand - sand all over the place, so I airbrushed some Lifecolor Sand Yellow

26913643750_a8d94946ef_b.jpg

I've then sprayed a coat of flat clear (from a rattle can I had laying around, not exactly modelling stuff)

26583595613_b06bc395a1_b.jpg

and finally went over the black spots with a sand yellow drybrush

27092916512_5e3edb4eee_b.jpg

Contrast with the dark areas looks stark under certain lighting conditions, I'll probably have to tone them down a bit more; and I think I should also add some detail painting, because this to me seems just like painted cardboard ... :banghead: What do you guys think?

A bit more done on Little Gene and Little Jerry too:

27092916812_daa6c6daff_z.jpg

26582349144_4271b42585_z.jpg

Base color is a mix of Lifecolor Light Blue and Light Grey; highlights done using a lighter mix, shadows using a darker one. Then dark washes and a light grey drybrush.

Question for Gene: did you use to wear gloves when flying? What color were they? Thanks in advance

That's it for the day, comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 14

Such impressive work as always Giemme. I was just looking in more detail at the tail section photos above and you have achieved such an amazing range of tone to the colours and finish. :worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

Wonderfull work here! Exhaust looks great!

Oliver

Cheers Oliver, thanks! :thumbsup:

Such impressive work as always Giemme. I was just looking in more detail at the tail section photos above and you have achieved such an amazing range of tone to the colours and finish. :worthy::worthy:

Thanks Stix, I'm glad you like my effort on the metallics :thumbsup: Pictures taken with direct lamp light are actually killing a bit the variations, especially the darker tones; they should hopefully show up better when I take RFI photos :banghead:

Ciao

• Like 1

... did you use to wear gloves when flying? What color were they? Thanks in advance

I always wore gloves, and I always rolled my sleeves down - reason being that in the event of a fire, they'd provide just a little more protection!

As for the color, I'm scratching my head - could have been gray leather like this:

637%20(14).jpg

but more likely would have been OD Nomex with gray leather on the inside (palm side), like this:

3457od-big.jpg

We didn't have Nomex flight suits at that time, so that color was a washed out blue-gray. Boots were solid black.

Gene K

• Like 4

Great work Giemme.

The cans are really nicely done, and the base looks suitably adorned with the "sands".

Simon.

Cheers Simon, thanks! :thumbsup:

Little Gene and Little Jerry are looking great, you are a figure painter extraordinaire Giemme.

Thanks Cookie! :thumbsup: That sounds like a Mel Brook's movie punch line, some way - can't remember which though ... :analintruder::D

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi everybody, little mid-week update:

more figure painting done, first with a base coat of Lifecolor Dark Green mixed with a bit of Lifecolor Matt Black:

27224748136_8794926012_z.jpg

27224747566_a0ec2b724d_z.jpg

I was going to do an actual SBS on how I painted the flying suits, but I got caught up in painting and didn't take many pics, sorry :banghead:

So here is Little Gene after some highlights and dark washes:

26983003810_976d25fa60_z.jpg

26652744583_bdd4657a01.jpg

Highlights done adding Lifecolor Light Grey to the base mix, washes with a dark acrylic wash and a dark brown tempera wash; I've been trying to use the same techniques I use on larger figures, but it turned out it was quite hard to control them on such small figures, so most of the job has been done with washes.

Here are the two, with more details painted:

26983002750_b662aaea37_z.jpg

26652744523_4dc44d8ce0_z.jpg

26983002500_f690a1e7f8.jpg

I still need to add a dark wash on the helmet area for both and do some touch, but all in all they're pretty much done.

Next I started scratch building the two missing GIB's rear view mirrors; I cut two suitable PE pieces:

27224749096_071ee06ab0_z.jpg

then I thought it was a good idea to stick them together with some double sided tape, so that I could refine them with my Dremel and having two almost identical pieces:

26983001570_3ecc084629.jpg

Good theory, probably, but they slipped a bit when sanding, I had to rework one to shorten it to the size of the other ... :chair: Here they are:

27224748696_4699785a5f_z.jpg[

I've then glued them on top of a flattened steel wire:

26983001080_6ebb3bcb42.jpg

painted black and gloss coated with Future:

27224750166_e8835e4854.jpg

They are now going to cure for a couple of days before I cut the supports to size and glue them in place.

Well, I think it doesn't look a proper progress report without showing the actual aircraft, so here is a test fit of the back seat, on which I actually glued the top part:

27224749846_41aa4932c9_b.jpg

That's it for now, comments welcome

Ciao

• Like 9

Great stuff, I can see what you mean about pulling the details out... Mr P explained about the background to this build as I didn't have chance to read everything - It's a great idea and very well executed too :goodjob:

• Like 1

Great stuff, I can see what you mean about pulling the details out... Mr P explained about the background to this build as I didn't have chance to read everything - It's a great idea and very well executed too :goodjob:

Thanks Mrs. P :thumbsup: Good thing Stix talked to you about the background story, we're about to hit 50 pages and 1.000 posts, reading through all of this risks to be very time consuming ... :frantic:

Excellent painting on the figures Giorgio! Nice little mirrors too - I always try & cut the supports down too soon when making them, I shall have to learn some of your patience!

Keith

Cheers Keith, thanks! :thumbsup: Should I cut back their support too soon, I'd loose them immediately ... :banghead: more than patience, it's self consciousness :chair::police:

That's great figure painting giemme, can't believe your still doing so much detail in 1/72. The pit and seat look absolutely excellent.

Rob

Thanks Rob, glad you like it :thumbsup:

Ciao

Wow.... Really nice work. The office looks great...

Thanks Leonl! :thumbsup:

Lovely work Giemme, the figures are great, and the office is sweet mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simon.

Cheers mate, I'm glad you like'em :thumbsup:

Ciao

That's it for now, comments welcome...

Figures looking fab' - Cockpits' looking fab'. Italian flair in great abundance. End of comments :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 2

Figures looking fab' - Cockpits' looking fab'. Italian flair in great abundance. End of comments :)

:D :D :D

Steve, you're providing a lot of new words for my English education - had to google for "flair". Thanks for the appreciation :thumbsup:

Ciao

Hi everybody; here's my usual WE progress report. Been working on details; doesn't seem much work, but took a lot of time :banghead:

First thing was to re-position port side vari-ramp; before (see red dotted circle)

26738050113_9efe6ff4b3_b.jpg

and after

27311236556_f641884128_b.jpg

Luckily I hadn't used much CA glue for this, so snapping it off was relatively easy; I trimmed down a bit the mounting tab and fit it back to place, gluing again with CA.

Then I installed and painted the two GIB's rear view mirrors:

27274185191_a6177e1b78_b.jpg

Speaking of which: here's little Jerry completed:

26738049523_7bbc54714a_z.jpg

and little Gene too (added some details and a wash to the helmets, plus a gloss coat)

26737233354_98a98d5f7f_z.jpg

I the glued in the pilot's seat top part:

27274185331_65fc337c1c_z.jpg

and started working on the speed brakes actuator arms: cut a brass pipe to size

27274185031_ef3bb2b46c_b.jpg

inserted a steel rod, glued with CA

27246918972_e9e7711443_z.jpg

a bit of Tamiya tape:

27274184681_6730a5a15f_z.jpg

They were then primed with Vallejo Grey Primer, painted Lifecolor Matt Red thinned with Future, washed with a dark acrylic mix and dull coated with Lifecolor Matt Clear, all by brush:

27274184061_49798aa2c6_z.jpg

Now I only need to cut the steel rod to size.

Bombs: main body sprayed with Tamiya Olive Drab:

27246918622_622d291ce2_z.jpg

then a Light Grey drybrush on the fins and a dark wash (plus I repaired the broken fuse)

27311234516_fc334dd27b_b.jpg

Canopy arms:

27069528430_7024beba99_z.jpg

More details on the fixed bomb fuse, and a couple of other tiny bits primed and ready for paint:

26737231554_243d760127_b.jpg

and painted

27069528090_eb232115ec_z.jpg

It was then time to start gluing all the bottom side missing parts; here's where I am so far, with gun pod, aux air doors and inboard pylons fitted and glued with CA:

26738045783_de79580dd7_b.jpg

Comments welcome

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 13