What If IV GB

Arniec

gosh my three fav builds for next year are all in the bottom three places!! Not fair!!  :angrysoapbox.sml:

These were my choices for possible builds for this:

1/72nd Henkel He-477 project (He-177 Zwelling 5 engines) + He-277 nose?
1/72nd Arado Ar. E-555/He-177 (E.555 wings & He-177 fuselage) + He-277 nose?
1/48th Planet Models Junkers Ju-388 J-3 with FuG-240 “Berlin” nose
1/48th Collect-Aire North American F-107A as Vietnam F-107D or 2 seater F-107G “Wild Wessel” (though more likely the single seat F-107F version as I really have no idea how to do a 2 seating F-107!!!!)

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm 🤔 an F-107F weasel ... id like to see that. Well since its an F-100 derivative id just double the cockpits or use an F-100F pit but you’d have to mold a second canopy ? 

Oooo I never thought or that!!! That maybe a lot easier than what I had planned to do, which was to custom make a completely new frontend then cast it. But the F-100F frontend may just be the base to start from. Will have to look and see if I can find a cheap and nasty F-100F model!

• Like 2

I once thought of doing some F-117s in USAF Thunderbirds scheme.

But I discovered they actually tested them out and found them not very good for public shows.

Here's a photo of them;

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Are we still missing a host for this one? If so please consider me willing. Now go and vote for the single most fun GB you'll ever take part in.

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Are we still missing a host for this one? If so please consider me willing. Now go and vote for the single most fun GB you'll ever take part in.

we shouldn't be, I'm sure Arnold said he would be in one of the earlier post? I know I stuck my hand up as Co-Host. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trickyrich said:

we shouldn't be, I'm sure Arnold said he would be in one of the earlier post? I know I stuck my hand up as Co-Host. 

Thanks Rich. Still playing catch-up after being off the forum for ages so a bit behind developments.

On 17 november 2017 at 1:28 AM, trickyrich said:

You are totally correct about that Rich. I still am host.

I will need to get a project out of the stash. probably a B-58 Hustler on steroids.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Sorry to tell you guys that this GB didn't made it into the finals for next year.:blahblahblah:

If we want it to go into 2019 we will need to get a new one started and get 30 participants.

Cheers,

I'm quite sad about this one missing out as well!

I've been trying to think about how we could combine this GB with another one to help increase it's chances. It worked with the Carrier and Pacific GB's. If it could figure how to combine this with the Non-Injection GB we might have a better chance??

• Like 2

17 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I'm quite sad about this one missing out as well!

I've been trying to think about how we could combine this GB with another one to help increase it's chances. It worked with the Carrier and Pacific GB's. If it could figure how to combine this with the Non-Injection GB we might have a better chance??

Maybe we could have a Fictional & Speculative GB with three subcategories:

-What-If IV

-Sci-Fi III

-A fictional subjects category for anything that doesn't quite fit the definition of What-If or Sci-Fi (e.g. the Flyboys boxings of Eduard's Nieuport 17 and Fokker Dr.1), which would essentially cover the Big Screen, Small Screen and Literary proposals (or at least the fictional components thereof).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sabre_days said:

Maybe we could have a Fictional & Speculative GB with three subcategories:

-What-If IV

-Sci-Fi III

-A fictional subjects category for anything that doesn't quite fit the definition of What-If or Sci-Fi (e.g. the Flyboys boxings of Eduard's Nieuport 17 and Fokker Dr.1), which would essentially cover the Big Screen, Small Screen and Literary proposals (or at least the fictional components thereof).

That's a great idea, SciFi & What If go well together and I know the SciFi crowd would love another GB!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

That's a great idea, SciFi & What If go well together and I know the SciFi crowd would love another GB!

Thanks! I definitely think it has potential... I'm just mulling over how to define the third category. Both the Big Screen, Little Screen and Literary proposals included nonfiction works, so I'm contemplating the idea of making it Fictional, Speculative & Popular Culture so that nonfiction source material such as Top Gear or Mighty Ships could be included, but my main concern is it could lose focus when it's including all media types and getting lumped in with Sci-Fi and What If. So I'm thinking of keeping it fictional, but with some leeway for Hollywood Zeros and Wichita Fokkers:

The rule I'd propose is that movie and TV subjects from historical dramas that aren't exactly fiction are okay so long as the film or program is a dramatization/re-enactment (no documentaries) and the aircraft, ships or vehicles are distinct from the historical equipment they portray. That way, aircraft from movies like Tora! Tora! Tora! and Battle of Britain could be included, but I wouldn't be able to use Jetstream as an excuse to model an actual, in-service CF-18, for example. Literary and video game examples would have to be fictional: So the F-19 from Red Storm Rising would be fair game, but no USS Chicago, and no building an F-16 because it was in Falcon 3.0 but the Russian UMF (Un-Manned Fighter) from the Kurile Islands campaign in the Operation Fighting Tiger add-on would be fair game if anyone cared to scratchbuild one. Also, fictional would still include real types in fictional markings, regardless of source material, so a Stern's Wildcats F-16 or Jackals MiG-29 from Strike Commander or a P-51 with fictional codes and nose art based on descriptions or cover art from Goodbye, Mickey Mouse would be fair game.

Edited by Sabre_days

May I humbly suggest something a little simpler?

Alternative Reality GB

Combining the following unsuccessful GB proposals that should have a better chance together.

What-If

Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Big Screen, Little Screen

Just needs a declaration of which section you're building in. Just as Rich has done with the Pacific Group Build.  

• Like 6

That sounds good to me, all three builds actually fit together quite nicely.

A GB like this is bound to get a lot of members quite excited I suspect.

The only thing I think that would need to be changed, or may be justed adjusted is the Printed Media, a lot of that stuff would be much closer to a Whiffy. Personally I would just keep the Big/Little Screen as there's plenty there to keep interested members happy. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Alternative Reality GB

What-If

Sci-Fi

Big Screen, Little Screen

Would all be happily covered. Just needs a declaration of which section you're building in. Just as Rich has done with the Pacific Group Build.  

13 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

The only thing I think that would need to be changed, or may be justed adjusted is the Printed Media, a lot of that stuff would be much closer to a Whiffy. Personally I would just keep the Big/Little Screen as there's plenty there to keep interested members happy. 

How about that then?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Alternative Reality GB

What-If, Sci-Fi, and Big Screen, Little Screen & Printed Media would all be happily covered. Just needs a declaration of which section you're building in. Just as Rich has done with the Pacific Group Build.  

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Sounds good to me - that's what I was driving at, one group build with three sub-themes, just like Pacific at War. I was just thinking aloud and getting into too much detail about rule specifics for the Media category.

Personally, to be as inclusive as possible, I'd like to expressly make it Sci-Fi and Fantasy, which might draw in a few more figure modellers.

I had been thinking of category three being Media in general - big screen, little screen, literary (including comics/graphic novels/manga) and video games (plenty of Hasegawa Ace Combat kits out there) to be as inclusive as possible. However, the more I think about it, I see how we could limit it to just big screen, small screen to be as inclusive as possible of documentaries and historical dramatizations, but omit specifically including the literary and video game categories on the grounds that anything fictional from those categories could fall under What If (or Sci-Fi) and thus avoid history and reference books or strategy games and simulators turning it into the Excuse to Build Anything GB or producing massive amounts of rules lawyering about what does and doesn't count...

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 1

Sound good, you have all that's required top get the initial post up. Start a thread or work with SleeperService to get one started. May be get someone to Co-Host each Sub-GB to help out, but I think you're on to a winner here.

I'll help out if required, though I have plans for two big GB's for 2019, details for those later. Again taking a couple of GB's that didn't make it this year (or were requested in GB threads) and putting them in a common theme.

I really do think this Theme based GB is the way to go in the future, we all get the GB's we want but combined in a common theme.

• Thanks 2

Thanks! I'm happy to start the thread, I'll wait until tonight when I have more time to start it (so probably about 0800 tomorrow, Zulu time)...

Any last thoughts, suggestions or feedback from anyone else? (Corsairfoxfouruncle, just want to check that you're okay with a new proposal which has pretty much 100% overlap with Movie & TV Aircraft?)

Happy to accept offers to co-host, especially for What If and Big Screen, Small Screen (Sci-Fi is probably the strongest personal interest for me out of the three, so if I end up taking the lead on any of the three, that would be my first choice, but help is very welcome anywhere).

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 2