Bf110 Colours Question

GordonD

I'm building Revell's 1:48 Messerschmitt Bf110 G-4 but I'm having problems interpreting the colour scheme in the instruction booklet. The fuselage is overall RLM65, with blobs of RLM74 on the upper part; the underside of the wings is also RLM65 and the upper surfaces are standard RLM74/75 splinter camouflage. But what colour is the upper part of the engine nacelles? There are blobs of RLM74 on there too but I can't see any demarcation on either the top or side views so I can't tell what the base colour is. Is it RLM65 or 75? In other words, does it match the remainder of the upper wing or the fuselage/lower nacelles?

Gordon with the 110 g I would say rlm 76 undersides rather than 65. Then I would say RLM74/75 upper surfaces. With a mottle moving down the sides.

Unless it's really late war or a nightfighter then I would say check any references you van find

For those colours I would go for the gunze rlm colours they are to my mind spot on

Does sound a little odd, I have to admit. RLM65 is the early baby-blue-ish colour; the Battle of Britain era one. Usually used with RLM70/71 on top (the greens). The 2-tone grey upper surfaces in RLM74/75 raises suspicion about RLM65. It might be right, but as above I'd check a few more references if possible. If it's blue underneath, it's more likely to be RLM76, the paler, greyer, very washed out looking blue.

I'm building Revell's 1:48 Messerschmitt Bf110 G-4 but I'm having problems interpreting the colour scheme in the instruction booklet. The fuselage is overall RLM65, with blobs of RLM74 on the upper part; the underside of the wings is also RLM65 and the upper surfaces are standard RLM74/75 splinter camouflage. But what colour is the upper part of the engine nacelles? There are blobs of RLM74 on there too but I can't see any demarcation on either the top or side views so I can't tell what the base colour is. Is it RLM65 or 75? In other words, does it match the remainder of the upper wing or the fuselage/lower nacelles?

As other have said, substitute RLM 76 for 65, the rest looks believable

what actual plane? That would help. If you know the unit look here

http://www.asisbiz.com/Bf-110.html

Some late war bf110G had 76 undersides and solid 74 uppers, with the mottle applied at unit level

here's a very faded wreck in the above scheme

17%2BMesserschmitt%2BBf%2B110%2Bwrecks%2

other side

9375651d93943c361dae438a9c49b290.jpg

some were an overall 76, and then had squiggle over that

Messerschmitt Bf 110G4 Zerstorer 6.NJG101 (9W+BO) Fritzlar 1945

Messerschmitt-Bf-110G4-Zerstorer-6.NJG10

there are colour pics showing this scheme as well

http://ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-pictures/captured-aircrafts-eeuu-32014-post1002995.html#post1002995

here's one from Falke eins blog

http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2009/12/luftwaffe-colour.html

this is 74 over high demarcation 76, note black lower wing on starboard only

Bf110Nachtjagdcolour.jpg

with any late war scheme, to find the photo it's taken from and work from that.

HTH

• Like 2

There are so much variaties on the Bf-110 G. There wasn't one scheme, but many as Troy have shown you with his pictures.

The late ones were indeed 76 underside and top 75. Mid war it seems that most were comming out of the factury in just 76 and some had mottle (small or big blobs) done in the field also some had a squiggle on them in green (81 or 82) or grey (75) so there are many schemes. If I were you I would have a look at a picture of the plane you want to build and take your own conclussions.

I do know it's not much of a help, but if you are not sertain you can Always ask here. What was the aircraft code?! (example G9 + AA)

Cheers,

edit: after looking at the instruction plans I would say that the engine cover is rlm 75 with a 74 mottle.

Edited by Arniec

edit: after looking at the instruction plans I would say that the engine cover is rlm 75 with a 74 mottle.

Thanks - that's what I'll go with.