Tamiya 1/12 Caterham reissue?

roymattblack

Any hopes do you think?

From what I've read, it was a very expensive kit to even manufacture as it had so many machined parts.

But, if Pocher (Hornby) can make it pay, why not Tamiya? (Yes, different scales, but very similar in all other respects)

I keep watching Ebay for one (there are a couple there at present - my finger 'itches' over 'Buy now' but I'm resisting.

If only one would pop up somewhere at better money.

Anyone else want one if Tamiya popped it out again?

I still haven't quite finished the one I started 10+ years ago.

Built a 1:1 Westfield since then!

They weren't cheap back when they were new. I think I paid A$500 for mine. As a comparison, the current Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari Enzo is A$415!

Edited by injidup

I rather doubt a re-issue is on the cards: it must have been massively expensive to produce. Things like formed/pierced/louvred aluminium bodywork, complex chassis (in one piece, no less) and detail down to and including the paper filters for the carbs is not easy or cheap to produce. They also pretty much covered the easy variations (BDR and long wings, BDR and cycle wings, Vauxhall and cycle wings) in previous re-issues. However, one never knows...Tamiya are not that predictable.

If anyone is interested I have a heap of Caterham spares (couple of chassis, couple of Vauxhall blocks without heads, one x near complete BDR, two x transmissions for both, differential, most of the suspension, full set of the fluoro yellow bodywork plus lots of the small bits and trims) that are surplus to my needs. PM me if you need anything and I will see if I can help...

David M

Yep - what they all said - apparently the most expensive kit they've tooled (I'm guessing because of that chassis that must have been pretty much all sliding cores!!)

Very very rare to see anything for sale for less than $500 - if you include the postage which is always $40 plus!

I would love to see Tamiya re-issue the kit. I have one but it's on the shelf of doom thanks to some ill advised attempts to upgrade it on my part.

Hopefully with some help from David M, I'll be able to finally finish the build.

Carl

Looks nice, but I'll never get behind the wheel these days. I need to be built like a drain pipe, not a water butt.

You'd be surprised - I'm certainly not anywhere near 'drainpipe' :)

That is a very nice car for that price. Take pennies to swap the 1.4 for a 1.8 if you so desired...and its all about the handling, and you've got a chassis that is 90% R500...