Revell 1:24 BMW i8

Madmonk

BMW i8

Revell 1:24

i8-box.jpg

Launched in June 2014 the i8 is the second vehicle available from BMWs Project i brand and is marketed as a 2 seat high performance sports car.
The i8 concept car was first unveiled at the 2009 International Motor Show in Germany and the production model was unveiled in 2013 with the first examples being delivered to customers in June 2014.
Aimed at the same market as the Mclaren P1 and Porcshe Panamera S E-Hybrid the i8 has a high revving 3 cylinder 1.5l turbocharged and a 7.1kWh lithium-ion battery pack. Though 3 cylinder and 1.5l are what you might expect on a city car the combination of the i8s light weight, 1,485kgs and some clever electronics to manage the combination of petrol and electric power it has impressive figures of 0-60 4.4seconds and a limited top speed of 155mph. Fuel consumption is 112mpg in combined mode and 28mpg when running on petrol only. The electric only range is 23 miles so dont travel too far away from a wall socket!
For those of us that dont have a spare £100k to spend on a state of the art hybrid car Revell have produced a 1:24 scale alternative.

The Kit

The usual Revell side opening box is full with a total of 9 sprues, main body and 4 tryes, a note about the main body as this was not in the usual plastic bag and as a result has a bit of scuffing on the roof. There is also a 20 page instruction manual and decal sheet for instruments, badges, some body markings and number plates for 8 different countries.

i8-10.jpg

i8-2.jpg

i8-3.jpg

i8-4.jpg

i8-5.jpg

i8-6.jpg

i8-7.jpg

i8-8.jpg

i8-9.jpg

i8-1.jpg

Construction starts at the rear end with the engine and then moves to the front for the electric motor. Suspension, radiator and wheels finish off the chassis.

Attention is then turned to the cabin, building up seats and dashboard. Although GB plates are available on the decal sheet the dashboard can only be built ion left hand drive. The body shell is next up with the tailgate and glazing being added, one nice touch is the roof headlining which is usually missed on most car models.

Then chassis, cabin and body shell all come together before the final external furniture is added. The scissor doors can be displayed either open or closed and the open position is supported by a representation of the real life hydraulic strut, just how strong this will be this reviewer is not sure.
The instructions give one colour option, that being metallic black (90% Gloss Black & 10% Steel). A look on the official i8 site is somewhat uninspiring with only 4 main colours being available, 2 greys, a blue and a white. A search on the interweb shows other colour schemes are available and the orange and black is a favourite of this reviewer.

Conclusion

A very nice level 3 kit from Revell of BMWs flagship hybrid car. Detailed painting and care taken when applying a clear coat to the body shell will result in a superb model.

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 1