1/72 - Heinkel He.279 Spirale resin kit by Aeropoxy - released

Homebee

I first saw those images posted on the now-gone AirWarFare forum years ago. I don't remember who first posted them but there was quite a debate going on as to whether or not it was a real aircraft or just something made up. Was it a real WW2 photo or if something newer.

Chris

There are neither carburettor nor oil cooler intakes visible anywhere on the two photos so I think it is a mock up at max.

Maybe it had the Heinkel surface cooling system in the wings but that still leaves the missing carburettor air intakes ....

Or is there something on the top behind the open canopy ?

Well, there are at least two sources mentioned this "Mystery Fighter" , the first one,

Mr. Gebhard Aders, author of books like "Geschichte der Deutschen Nachtjagd" gave an answer regarding that unknown plane at the Luftarchiv forum
In short, he talked to some Heinkel experts, which declared the photos as genuine without a doubt, one of the experts had held the photos in his own hands.
According to the experts, in the years 1939 to 1940 Heinkel was working on 8 prototypes, it is possible that the photos show one of them.

Second one is a Mr. Volker Koos, aviation publicist and researcher , stating the thing is a mock-up aircraft ,intended to deceive Allied intelligence, built from the He 280 V7 airframe.

Anyway, this project is labeled "Luftwaffe 46" , so, till more data show up, take it as a What If story.

Here are the two images that were posted to the AWF forum years ago. I just got them from John M. Smith, founder and owner of The Air Warfare Forum. They were first posted by Jan van der Heuvel.

Mystery%201.png

Mystery%202.png

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

..and a radiator, and an oil cooler, and a place for a propshaft. And if it had 3000hp a massive prop. Seems like a mockup to me. Oh, and there's no sense in putting the fins/rudders outside the prop slipstream, unless they were originally part of the 280.