De Havilland MEGA Group Build Chat

DAG058

Thanks! Though it may lose in looks, the third kit supplied decal option for a 105 sqn plane in DFS ( is that correct name?) definitely has a heroic history and that's what I'm going for.

BTW all the interior green stuff is now coated with Hu 78. Life's good (again) 😃. V-P

• Like 2

So what's everyone's plans for the weekend? I'm hoping to do a bit of work cleaning up my Sea Vixen, getting it prepped for primer.

We've had another great week with this GB, we have more than doubled the Gallery entries. Lots of updates on peoples builds, be sure to have a look.

I'll do another statistics update on Sunday so we can see how things are progressing. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DAG058 said:

So what's everyone's plans for the weekend?

Not modelling alas :(  Did take a look at the Airfix Vampire T.11 kit and compaired it to photos I have of the Montrose Air Museum T.22 but that's all I've done with it. it looks to be a good starting point for what i have planned but when that starting point will occur is unknown. There's plenty unfinished projects littering the bench that aren't getting any attention already.

This weekend is my first cycling race of the 2017 season so heading for a 10mile time trial over beside Ellon on Sunday morning. The remains of the weekend are going to be family time. Have a good one gang.

I have just done the weekly statistics update on page one of this thread. It has been another very successful week with 7 new builds joining us. Both galleries have had of lots of completed builds entered this week too. keep up the good work!

• Like 1

I have just updated the weekly stats on page one. There's still a few entries trickling in, we've hit 71 builds in total now which is fantastic. There is still plenty of time to run on this GB, if your wanting to join us please do so! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beard said:

I have a Tamiya Mosquito that's fought it's way out of the stash.

Is it too late to join?

It is definitely not too late to join, plenty of time left on this one! Just start your build thread when you are ready and keep us updated as you go. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DAG058 said:

It is definitely not too late to join, plenty of time left on this one! Just start your build thread when you are ready and keep us updated as you go. 

Thanks, I'll make a start this afternoon. 

• Like 2

Time for me to belatedly join in. I'll be building an F-Rsin Plastic Trident 3 in BA colours. I'll be building something in the From Russia With Love GB at the same time, so it might be slow going, but I reckon I can get it done in time.

I had been in two minds about whether it qualifies, since the Trident 3 came along after DH became HS, but it's on the list further up this thread - and anyway, the 146 is on the list too, if the 146 is accepted a Trident surely must qualify!

I'll start my own thread for this tomorrow when I've got cracking.

• Like 1

I'm posting a thought that just occured to me, regarding the ease of building/painting the Mossie: it hasn't got any fuselage bands, recognition colour wing tips or leading edges, nor mottling. Even the spinners are monocolour. Most of the paint demarcation could be done freehand. Regards, V-P

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Time for me to belatedly join in. I'll be building an F-Rsin Plastic Trident 3 in BA colours. I'll be building something in the From Russia With Love GB at the same time, so it might be slow going, but I reckon I can get it done in time.

I had been in two minds about whether it qualifies, since the Trident 3 came along after DH became HS, but it's on the list further up this thread - and anyway, the 146 is on the list too, if the 146 is accepted a Trident surely must qualify!

I'll start my own thread for this tomorrow when I've got cracking.

I'm looking forward to your entry. There was some debate previously with regards to whether Tridents would qualify. In short they do, so welcome in! 

Well another weekend is upon us, what is everyone's plans? I am hoping to get on with the Sea Vixen on Sunday, I need to try and press on. I lifted the lid on a Cyber Hobby Sea Venom that will be my second entry. It's got one or two parts off the sprues but it is well below 25% completed. 

On 21/04/2017 at 1:07 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Doing HR130, one of the banff examples, seen'ed it depicted with both yellow and red spinners, and paddle and needle bladed props, and both shroded and unshrouded exhausts which are correct? 

While I'd go for the needle props as being more suited to their low-level work there were certainly Banff-based machines with the paddle blades as well. Also I think the red or yellow spinners may have depended on which squadron it was operating with; while the yellow ones are more commonly seen there's a few photos around showing red spinners on at least one machine.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, DAG058 said:

It's got one or two parts off the sprues but it is well below 25% completed

That should be fine, it doesn't count until you can run around with it making aircraft noises. :pilot: :lol:

• Like 1

I'm going to do something very stupid!   "So what's new?" I hear you ask. :D

I'm having a good time building my Mosquito FB.VI but it stuck me that I haven't built a bomber version since I was eight years old.  That was the old FROG kit. 

So...  I've bought myself a Tamiya Mosquito B.IV which I will be building as the night bomber version using the kit decals.  I'm really not sure that I can complete it during the GB, but I'll give it my best shot.

But that's not the stupid bit...   I've also found references to a PR.XVI with invasion stripes and a red and white striped fin.  It looks really good, so I'll be building that as well!  I found a set of Paragon resin two-stage Merlin nacelles in The Stash, so I'm ready to be stupid...  :fool: 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

so I'm ready to be stupid...  :fool: 

:stupid: It seems like a group build for being stupid. I have caught Enzo fever with a fourth entry. Good luck with your builds buddy.

• Like 1

:rant: OMG I had completely forgotten about this GB!!! I suspect it was due to being sacked from my previous job at the time this was starting, so had other things on my mind at the time! Thank goodness its only halfway through so I'm hoping I'll have time...

First problem however is checking the stash I don't appear to have a Mosquito kit in the stash anymore... Opps! So a quick visit to the online retailer and a package containing a 1:48 Tamuya FB IV along with masks and a set of decals that will allow me to build a rather cool looking Coastal Command aircraft  - well it was either that or a SEAC one, but I'm currently building a SEAC Hurricane in the diorama section so lets not get too carried away...

So when that is complete then I'll make a start on it...

• Like 2