De Havilland MEGA Group Build Chat

DAG058

A very well done to everyone who has entered the De Havilland Mega Group Build so far! We have a great variety of aircraft on display and a huge range of kits.

I have taken the time to crunch the statics to see where we are at. If this works out I will enter it on the first page of the GB chat so it's easy to follow. Bellow is a list of DH Aircraft types, I have highlighted the aircraft we have represented in the GB. This is purely for reference so if you want to enter an aircraft that is already highlighted please continue to do so, more the merrier! 

Thus far we have 40 enteries, spread over 18 Aircraft types. Mosquitos are the most popular with 14 enteries, followed by 6 Vampires/Vampire trainers

Biplanes

Glider

Piston-engined monoplanes

de Havilland Technical School designs

Civil and military jet transports

Military jets

Experimental aircraft

Autogyro

DHC Aircraft

• DHC-1 Chipmunk
  • DHC-2 Beaver
  • DHC-3 Otter
  • DHC-4 Caribou 
  • DHC-5 Buffalo
  • DHC-6 Twin Otter
  • DHC-7 Dash 7
  • DHC-8 Dash 8

AN UPDATED LIST AND STATISTICS CAN BE FOUND ON PAGE 1 OF THIS THREAD

Edited by DAG058
  • Like 6

We're allowing the 146? My Mossie is stalled until some bits arrive (and I find some exhausts) so I may make a start on one of the half dozen Revell 146s that I have in the stash.

Better order some decal sheets...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rob G said:

We're allowing the 146? My Mossie is stalled until some bits arrive (and I find some exhausts) so I may make a start on one of the half dozen Revell 146s that I have in the stash.

Better order some decal sheets...

Now you've got me thinking! Reading into it the link to De Havilland seems to be a bit weak, what do you reckon? All I can see is that it was built at an old De Havilland factory. 

Hmmmm bit of a minefield that one, I would go along with the 146, as it was built at Hatfield with a workforce that was still dominated by de H (my father did almost 40 years at Hatfield, de H/HS/BAe) and it is numbered in the old de H series but presumably that then excludes any Woodford (Avro) assembled 146 airframes and the later RJ's, although the front fuse was still Hatfield built?

• Like 1

If we're going to exclude the 146 (and I'm not really worried either way), we should also drop the Trident and 125 off the list too, seeing as dH had ceased to exist as a company by the time these designs were close to approval/production. Hairs could be split about design teams, production facilities, marketing names etc, but Hawker Siddeley bought dH in 1960, which effectively ended dH's existence.

I'm cool either way, I just wanted an excuse to start another model instead of finishing off the several dozen that I have on the shelf. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wamwig said:

Hmmmm bit of a minefield that one, I would go along with the 146, as it was built at Hatfield with a workforce that was still dominated by de H (my father did almost 40 years at Hatfield, de H/HS/BAe) and it is numbered in the old de H series but presumably that then excludes any Woodford (Avro) assembled 146 airframes and the later RJ's, although the front fuse was still Hatfield built?

9 minutes ago, Rob G said:

If we're going to exclude the 146 (and I'm not really worried either way), we should also drop the Trident and 125 off the list too, seeing as dH had ceased to exist as a company by the time these designs were close to approval/production. Hairs could be split about design teams, production facilities, marketing names etc, but Hawker Siddeley bought dH in 1960, which effectively ended dH's existence.

I'm cool either way, I just wanted an excuse to start another model instead of finishing off the several dozen that I have on the shelf. :D

It's a tough one! I think the Trident had a much stronger link with DH but I know exactly what your saying Rob. It's an area I don't know a great deal about. Does anyone else have any input? Let us know if you have any information or cause for approval/rejection! 

49 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

If DHC is included you will need to add De Havilland Australia too with their Dromader?

Trevor

I think it is called Drover :whistle:

Great list you put together DAG. But how about showing the types currently under construction in this GB in a different colour?

Cheers, Peter

PS, I just realized that you done exactly this by showing the types in bold ...

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Were the 146, 121 and 125 designed by D.H?

Even if not built by them if they were designed by D.H. then I say include them.

This is my opinion too BK, hopefully others will agree.

6 hours ago, wamwig said:

And what about Airspeed, it being a wholly owned subsidiary of de H from 1940!

5 hours ago, wamwig said:

The Horsa was designed at Salisbury Hall and the first pair were built there.

I will need to do a bit of research into these! Is anyone planning on entering these as builds? If so let me know and I'll get on it.

4 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

If DHC is included you will need to add De Havilland Australia too with their Dromader?

Trevor

Very true Trevor, again let me research to clarify. Are you wanting to enter a Drover?

4 hours ago, Basilisk said:

I think it is called Drover :whistle:

Great list you put together DAG. But how about showing the types currently under construction in this GB in a different colour?

Cheers, Peter

PS, I just realized that you done exactly this by showing the types in bold ...

Thanks Peter. Yes the ones in bold are types which we have enteries for. I didn't want them to be scored out, or anything similar, incase people don't read the full script and think that 'it's already taken' and don't enter theirs.

If you click on the aircraft name it is also hyperlinked to the Wikipedia page, pretty handy if you are unsure of the type and want a quick reference.

3 hours ago, CarLos said:

I can't believe no one is entering a Chipmunk! 

Agreed!

9 hours ago, wamwig said:

If you exclude aircraft NOT built by deHavilland factories, then that will, potentially, open aanother minefield where sub-contract work was carried out ... a lot of Mosquitoes were built by sub-contractors in High Wycombe, and, similarly, the wooden parts of Vampires.

• Like 1

Hi

I'm not aware of a Drover kit and hacking one out of an Airfix Heron would be beyond my abilities!

Put me down for something De H - not sure what though......:think:

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allyby said:

Can't see this on the list but I've just bought an AZ Models DH-82B Floatplane "Queen Bee" if this qualifies count me in please?

That most definitely qualifies, your in! 

Note the the list isn't totally inclusive, it won't show every variant, just the main types.

• Like 1

Certainly the prototype 125's are eligible 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39411748@N06/5943114386

It says De Havilland on the side!

Originally to be called the Jet Dragon, I think the name had been dropped by the time G-ARYA flew.

Trevor

• Like 1

To re-cap, the general consensus is that the 121, 125 & 146 all qualify as they were, at the very least, designed by de Havilland. I for one am very happy with this, if there are any objections please speak now or forever hold your silence. 

In other news, we have our first build up in the Gallery! 

• Like 2

I have updated the statistics on the first page of the GB chat if you are interested to see how things a progressing. I plan to do that every Monday now so we can see how we are getting on.

There is fantastic work on display in this GB, and a lot of very interesting enteries, well done all.

If you are still interested in joining please do so. All you have to do is start a build thread of your entry and try to keep us up to date with your progress. Check the GB rules or contact a host if you are unsure of anything.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying the list DAG :).  If things go to plan, I should be moving three more types to the 'being built' category before the end of the GB.....

Cliff

• Like 1