De Havilland MEGA Group Build Chat

DAG058

13 hours ago, Col. said:

First time I've heard it described thus but will take your word for it (even if I did have to look up that word)

To avoid plagiarism, I always use my own words. Not necessarily in the correct order. 

• Like 1

Hmm. Just the kind of inspiration I need to get me out of the modelling doldrums.  I'd like to join the ride too. Possibly with Tiger Moth or Mosssie or even from the DHC stable in Canada like a Beaver.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Hmm. Just the kind of inspiration I need to get me out of the modelling doldrums.  I'd like to join the ride too. Possibly with Tiger Moth or Mosssie or even from the DHC stable in Canada like a Beaver.

That sounds like the perfect remedy Paul. Welcome in and I look forward to see what decide to go for.

6 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Merlin Models :deadhorse: This should be interesting.

Ahhhh....what do you know about Merlin that I don't?!!?
It was the Phoenix vacform that was worrying me....especially since Choroszy apparently do a really nice resin at a not unreasonable £25.- anyone had experience of Choroszy generally or their DH1A particularly?

3 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

Ahhhh....what do you know about Merlin that I don't?!!?

To a man of your ability it's likely nothing but my experience was best summed up as 'They're called Merlin because you need to be a magician to build them'. True it is easier than a scratch build but, IMHO only just.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SleeperService said:

To a man of your ability it's likely nothing but my experience was best summed up as 'They're called Merlin because you need to be a magician to build them'. True it is easier than a scratch build but, IMHO only just.

.....my main abilily is contually overestimating my ability. Neadless to say, I've got two of those merlin DH5s, though the second one seems to be AWOL. Its an omen!!!!

12 hours ago, Pin said:

Good value for money

That is good to know, or not! Do I have a go at the vacform or just buy a Choroszy? Really, I'd like to build a Renault and a Beardmore version. Build both? Would they look completely different beside each other? Maybe only one way to find out....

• Like 1

It's time to finally say something as I'm one of the hosts! I'm deep in the middle of building some F-16:s in their STGB, but want to take part in this mega gb too. So, today I ordered a Tamiya 1:72 Mosquito kit at my local hobby shop. It should arrive by next weekend which suits me fine as I'm leaving to Lapland to do some skiing for a few days. First Mossie for me, ever 😃

• Like 3

Well, I've barely started my Vampire (and all I've done so far is apply another coat of paint over the cockpit parts that were already painted), but I've already decided to do a second build for this GB. I can't help it...I'm Canadian, it would feel wrong to let it go by without doing something to represent the DHC stable. So, I'll be building the Modelcraft rebox of the Matchbox DHC-6 Twin Otter with the kit markings for CF-TVP of NorOntair in the late 1970s. Of course, I have tentatively put myself down for a Twin Otter as one of my builds for the Matchbox II GB, but I have three more Revell boxings in the stash and there are plenty of other marking options...

Build thread to follow tomorrow.

Edited by Sabre_days
  • Like 3

It's great to see the enteries flowing through thick and fast now, a huge amount of a variety too!

Some  enteries that I'm hoping to see still are DH112Venom, DH106 Comet, DH108 Swallow. Anyone else got anything they'd like to see? 

SleeperService has spent the last two rest days looking for his Alley Cat FAW.1 Sea Vixen conversion. Mentioned it to my mate who asked 'That one you swapped for  my F-35 kit? Might be as here is the part-built result.':rant:

I'm just about to order a replacement. :whistle:

• Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:46 PM, DAG058 said:

Some  enteries that I'm hoping to see still are (...) DH108 Swallow. Anyone else got anything they'd like to see? 

I may consider to enter my Swallow, but only after the Humming Bird!

DH108.jpg~original

Here are a few other interesting kits I could enter in a GB extending for one year:

VamiLeopardMoth.jpg~original

KiwiFoxMoth_1.jpg

AirCraftDH91.jpg~original

Both the Vami Leopard Moth and the Kiwi Resin Fox Moth are chalenging kits. The Albatross is a beauty, but it's not something to make in a hurry.

Carlos

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CarLos said:

I may consider to enter my Swallow, but only after the Humming Bird!

DH108.jpg~original

Here are a few other interesting kits I could enter in a GB extending for one year:

VamiLeopardMoth.jpg~original

KiwiFoxMoth_1.jpg

AirCraftDH91.jpg~original

Both the Vami Leopard Moth and the Kiwi Resin Fox Moth are chalenging kits. The Albatross is a beauty, but it's not something to make in a hurry.

Carlos

Plenty of choice there! Hopefully you will manage to build a few for the GB. That Swallow looks very nice.