General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

that article is really interesting and important if you want to build one. I don't think Scaledown ever got around to doing that mod kit along with quite a few others. The Ozmod's site is the place to get the stuff they did make......I sooo want to get the replacement wings!!!!

http://www.ozmods-kits.com/scaledown-conversions-upgrades-148

They do do a 1/144th F-111B conversion plus all the extras!

So, now I do need to make my own?! Hmmmm :hmmm::hmmm: :hmmm:

Cheers,

I've just found a kitech copy kit in my stash I'd forgotten about. Might be 2 builds on the cards.

Quick question, are we looking for absolute accuracy here? I'm not much of a scratch builder so might not be up to correcting any errors.

Matt

I've just found a kitech copy kit in my stash I'd forgotten about. Might be 2 builds on the cards.

Quick question, are we looking for absolute accuracy here? I'm not much of a scratch builder so might not be up to correcting any errors.

Matt

I don't have to much of a problem over absolute accuracy, kit errors are kit errors. You can either correct them or just enjoy the kit building process, so no issue...though colour schemes do have to be factual which is normal.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2016 at 4:18 AM, Arniec said:

P.S. Found this very interesting site. http://tailspintopics.blogspot.nl/2009/10/grumman-f-111b.html

I highly recommend the book that Tommy wrote on the F-111B. It's Volume 41 in Steve Ginter's Naval Fighters Series. If you're going to do an F-111B conversion, you simply must have this book. All of the differences between the prototypes and pre-production aircraft are detailed. Tommy sent me amendment and errata documents as well.

In the book, Tommy mentions a resin F-111B nose in 1:48 scale made by Esoteric, part of their "Nosejob" series. In addition to the 1:48 Pete's Hangar conversion, there is also mention of a 1:48 F-111B conversion kit made by SB Castings. It's for the Academy kit. Fox 3 Studios made a conversion kit for the Monogram F-111A kit, consisting of the F-111B nose, wing tips, main gear wheels, tailhook, and pointed fairing tips. Whether any of this is still available, I have no clue.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Put me down for this one too. :thumbsup:

The 'Vark has always facinated me ever since I as a kid saw the good ol' Revell boxart as shown by Dermo245.

I have the Hobbyboss 'E' and 'C' versions and could choose either.

Just have to work a couple of things out first though:

1: What is the difference between the 'C' and 'G'? (I have a suspicion that the 'G' is an 'FB-111') :hmmm:

2: What'll it take to make a 'F' out of the 'E' (I know the exhausts are different, but seeing that the Paragon F-111F exhausts are unavailable can I somehow fake it? :wicked: ) I have a huge decalsheet with Lakenheath 'F's I would like to make.

But this is all in things to come - so for now...

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Great news. Have this one in the stash for some time now...

If I may, I'll join you with an E or F, Libyan raider, haven't decided for sure yet.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-axj9zMfIR6Y/VET3Eo1bJzI/AAAAAAAAXnQ/VmChOdW90Xo/s1024-Ic42/IMG_20141020_131144.jpg[/

cheers[/quote

Be watching this for tips as you have the same as me!!

Edited by Tim Moff

The 'Vark has always facinated me ever since I as a kid saw the good ol' Revell boxart as shown by Dermo245.

1: What is the difference between the 'C' and 'G'? (I have a suspicion that the 'G' is an 'FB-111') :hmmm:

2: What'll it take to make a 'F' out of the 'E' (I know the exhausts are different, but seeing that the Paragon F-111F exhausts are unavailable can I somehow fake it? :wicked: ) I have a huge decalsheet with Lakenheath 'F's I would like to make.

Hans J

Looks cool - what Lakenheath decal sheet do you have out of interest ?

Hans J

Sorry I forgot to reply to this when I first read it....am slack I know!

The C's & G's are a bit different, generally they look the same but the difference is in the detail. You're right the G was originally an FB-111A and around 30 odd were converted from Strategic Bombers to Tactical and designated F-111G. The engine intakes are different which is the most notable difference plus they use a later engine.

I'm not sure if you know of this site or not, but it's full of lots of really interesting and useful stuff.

http://www.f-111.net/

Hi Rich,

I know it's a long way off, but I'm interested too. I am thinking of doing an Amberley-based F-111.

Having done a quick google search, I found this video that you may find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzU7aANAXck

Regards,

David

welcome aboard.

I have seen that one before, plus I was at Amberley (with 6 Sqn) when one of our birds came in with the nose wheel lock up, in 87 or 88 I can't quite remember exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again :bye: ,
I wanted to ask a little advice about a kit I have bought for this GB. I bought it on Evibay. The item number is: 351713465793. I was a little stoopid and didn't notice this part in the sellers listing:

"Upon retirement from the USAF, several were sold to Australia to complement their squadrons of F-111C. This kit is the same exact kit as the FB-111A made by Hasegawa, with the long wings and Triple Plow III intakes. No decals, and only a photocopy of the instructions. "

That last sentence was the crux.
I admit I know very little about F-111's. What I do know is that I like them, and being very close to Brisbane, not to model one would be a crime. I thought a 'G' would be something a little out of the ordinary plus the box art/photograph looked nice :).

The kit arrived today with, as stated, no decals, and instructions *only for a US FB111-A* photocopied onto A-3 sheet.

My question:

Does this Hasegawa kit have the parts I need to make an F-111 G? I can post sprue shots if that will help.

I feel I should be able to get F-111 G decals from 'Southern Sky'. I wonder also - do I need the Australian-version-specific instruction sheet, to make sure I choose the right parts from the sprue during the build?

I know I should have bought one new and so on, but I'm an old grumbly pensioner now and had hoped to plan in advance and save a little money.

I hope I haven't made a mistake :confused: .

Thank you in advance
Best regards
Tony

Edited for spelling

Edited by TonyTiger66

Hello again :bye: ,

I wanted to ask a little advice about a kit I have bought for this GB. I bought it on Evibay. The item number is: 351713465793. I was a little stoopid and didn't notice this part in the sellers listing:

"Upon retirement from the USAF, several were sold to Australia to complement their squadrons of F-111C. This kit is the same exact kit as the FB-111A made by Hasegawa, with the long wings and Triple Plow III intakes. No decals, and only a photocopy of the instructions. "

That last sentence was the crux.

I admit I know very little about F-111's. What I do know is that I like them, and being very close to Brisbane, not to model one would be a crime. I thought a 'G' would be something a little out of the ordinary plus the box art/photograph looked nice :).

The kit arrived today with, as stated, no decals, and instructions *only for a US FB111-A* photocopied onto A-3 sheet.

My question:

Does this Hasegawa kit have the parts I need to make an F-111 G? I can post sprue shots if that will help.

I feel I should be able to get F-111 G decals from 'Southern Sky'. I wonder also - do I need the Australian-version-specific instruction sheet, to make sure I choose the right parts from the sprue during the build?

I know I should have bought one new and so on, but I'm an old grumbly pensioner now and had hoped to plan in advance and save a little money.

I hope I haven't made a mistake :confused: .

first up nice choice and you didn't make a mistake.

Sight unseen it should be fine. The F-111G as you said was originally an FB-111A, if there are any differences externally they'd be antennas etc, east stuff to make.

With the instructions Hasegawa may have shaded out some of the parts in the instructions for the FB-111A version, depending on what parts have been shaded they "could" be the ones for the G model, but I suspect they will be for the other models.

The cockpit should be very similar with the instrument panel probably being the only difference.

As you said AM decals will be the way to go, plus the G's didn't have the PaveTac pods fitted so that part is easy.

Just make sure you can find plenty of reference photos, they'll be the biggest help for you.

Plus as mentioned earlier this website is very useful as well.

http://www.f-111.net/

cheers Bill, I know there was a site somewhere where you could get these but forgot....as usual!

hmmm I've just had a look at this site and it's not quite as helpful as I hoped. They seemed to have copy/pasted some of these together. The instructions for the "G" model are actually for the FB-111A, and the F-111C/G model are actually for the "C" only!

I will have to do some more looking as I have seen a site which specializes in instructions, I haven't used it for years, hopefully I have it book marked on my home PC will have to check when I get home.

The Hasegawa RAAF F-111C/G kit (which is the one I linked to) includes instructions for the F-111C, plus an addendum for the F-111G assembly. You can build either mark from the kit.

It is typical of Hasegawa to do this. I'm surprised that Hobby Search didn't include the addendum. I can scan it for you if you like - I will be out of town for the next week, but let me know and I can do it when I get back.

Cheers,

Bill

I'm still looking for a kit for this GB. I absolutely refuse to pay the stupid prices that Hasegawa 72th kits are going for, and I don't want to do a pig in 48nd.

But I've got time. And if I don't get one, I've got a stash. ;)

The Hasegawa RAAF F-111C/G kit (which is the one I linked to) includes instructions for the F-111C, plus an addendum for the F-111G assembly. You can build either mark from the kit.

It is typical of Hasegawa to do this. I'm surprised that Hobby Search didn't include the addendum. I can scan it for you if you like - I will be out of town for the next week, but let me know and I can do it when I get back.

Cheers,

Bill

ah ok, they didn't include the addendum for the G, do you know if that kit has the extra bits for the G model? The main difference will be the cowlings and splitter plates. The stand-alone G model has the correct splitters.

for those who are not sure of the difference;

F-111C: has a Splitter Plate and a Translating Cowl "Triple Plow I" (the cowlings move forward opening a section behind them to allow more air into the intake)

F-111G: no Splitter Plate and a Fixed Cowling "Triple Plow II" (there were 3 cowling doors which could open to allow more air into the intake.

The Intake Spike was similar in both models and moveable (to help control the airflow into the intakes).

Hello Chsps,

Thank you very much indeed for all the help and advice :)

My kit is just a 'G', no 'C' option is mentioned on the box. I'm not sure why there are photocopied instructions for the FB 111A inside, I guess a previous owner wanted to make that one.

I did go to the HLJ Japan site, thank you that's a grear tip for the future! I made a off if the instruction on my phone, now I just have to print it out, but I think, ftom what you've said, they may be the wrong instructions. I may take up the kind offer to email me some instructions :)

I've not had much luck with decals. Southern sky are out for the 'G' and on Evilbay there are only tail markings (very nice ones) and I'm not sure where I would get the rest of the markings ftom. A set of low rez markings are there for the G, but I don't think they go with the nice 'Anniversary' markings.

Therefore, a plain low-rez aircraft it will have to be! No problem.

Getting there with your very appreciated help.

Best regards

Tony

Edited for formatting

Edited by TonyTiger66
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2016 at 11:09 PM, trickyrich said:

ah ok, they didn't include the addendum for the G, do you know if that kit has the extra bits for the G model? The main difference will be the cowlings and splitter plates. The stand-alone G model has the correct splitters.

for those who are not sure of the difference;

F-111C: has a Splitter Plate and a Translating Cowl "Triple Plow I" (the cowlings move forward opening a section behind them to allow more air into the intake)

F-111G: no Splitter Plate and a Fixed Cowling "Triple Plow II" (there were 3 cowling doors which could open to allow more air into the intake.

The Intake Spike was similar in both models and moveable (to help control the airflow into the intakes).

I have this kit, and it has the parts for both the C and G.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hello Chsps,

Thank you very much indeed for all the help and advice :)

My kit is just a 'G', no 'C' option is mentioned on the box. I'm not sure why there are photocopied instructions for the FB 111A inside, I guess a previous owner wanted to make that one.

I did go to the HLJ Japan site, thank you that's a grear tip for the future! I made a off if the instruction on my phone, now I just have to print it out, but I think, ftom what you've said, they may be the wrong instructions. I may take up the kind offer to email me some instructions :)

I've not had much luck with decals. Southern sky are out for the 'G' and on Evilbay there are only tail markings (very nice ones) and I'm not sure where I would get the rest of the markings ftom. A set of low rez markings are there for the G, but I don't think they go with the nice 'Anniversary' markings.

Therefore, a plain low-rez aircraft it will have to be! No problem.

Getting there with your very appreciated help.

Best regards

Tony

Edited for formatting

If I am not mistaken. The G was a conversion from the FB-111A.

There will be some difference, but these are mainly small.

Cheers,

• Like 1