General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

16 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

....So where can I get AM FB-111A decals?

Hi Ray,

Wolfpak has done two sheets that contain FB-111As - 72-037 and 72-081. Sadly, both of these are shown as 'Sold Out' on the Wolfpak site. An even earlier sheet, 72-020, has an F-111G in the grey scheme, but of course, that's also sold out. I'm not aware of any other sources of decals for the FB-111, but if I encounter them I'll give you a shout.

cheers,

Andrew.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2016 at 4:00 PM, trickyrich said:

What's the RF conversion, or should I say who's it by? I've been searching everywhere for a 1/48th conversion, from what I can gather there use to be one form Pete's Models, but it so long out of production. I think I'm going to have to scratch build my own!! If I can get it right I'm going to case some masters.....you just never know...

Rich, I have the Pete's Hangar conversion for my build (later release), he only did it 1/72. I believe a guy up your way under the 'Lock On' brand was going to release a 1/48 version, there were test shots but it was never released.

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

Hi Ray,

Wolfpak has done two sheets that contain FB-111As - 72-037 and 72-081. Sadly, both of these are shown as 'Sold Out' on the Wolfpak site. An even earlier sheet, 72-020, has an F-111G in the grey scheme, but of course, that's also sold out. I'm not aware of any other sources of decals for the FB-111, but if I encounter them I'll give you a shout.

cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew. I have a few WP sheets, I will take a look see and see if I have either. Just checked your links I and I have the SAC time sheet!

I saw your request elsewhere for some WP F-111 and F-16 bits. I will see if I have those as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

Hi Ray,

cheers,

Andrew.

I don't know if this is any good to you in Oz, but Fantasy Printshop has both of these sheets in stock.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

...Just checked your links I and I have the SAC time sheet!

I saw your request elsewhere for some WP F-111 and F-16 bits. I will see if I have those as well.

Ray, great news on the SAC Time sheet (I'm not surprised you had it though, given what else is catered for) - that's a cool scheme the FB-111s wore at the the end of their SAC service. I would be very grateful if you could have a look for the Pig decals especially.

5 hours ago, Jabba said:

I don't know if this is any good to you in Oz, but Fantasy Printshop has both of these sheets in stock.

Thanks Jabba, I'll go have a look to see what else they have.

Andrew, I checked my stash and I don't have any of the later sheets you are after SAC time is the last one I got. Since WP just about doubled their international postage rates (why does it cost $14 to send a letter from the US to Australia where I can send a similar sized envelope to the US for under $3?) I have not ordered anything from them.

I was also going to mention Fantasy Printshop since this is where WP have their sheets printed. 

15 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Rich, I have the Pete's Hangar conversion for my build (later release), he only did it 1/72. I believe a guy up your way under the 'Lock On' brand was going to release a 1/48 version, there were test shots but it was never released.

Yeah I found info on both of these while I was searching for any conversions sets. The Lock On one looked quite good but it doesn't appear to have gone any further than the test shot, and that was some years ago.

Think I'm going to have to scratch build mine, if i get it right though I will make up some resin extras!!! There might be a demand?

Now I really wish I had taken photo's of the Recon door when I was working on them!!!

7 hours ago, TrojanThunder said:

Andrew, I checked my stash and I don't have any of the later sheets you are after SAC time is the last one I got. Since WP just about doubled their international postage rates (why does it cost $14 to send a letter from the US to Australia where I can send a similar sized envelope to the US for under $3?) I have not ordered anything from them....

All good Ray; thanks very much for looking. I agree on the postage amount - it's an added disincentive over and above the fact there's often only one of many subjects on a given sheet that appeals. Off to Fantasy Printshop I go...

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Think I'm going to have to scratch build mine, if i get it right though I will make up some resin extras!!! There might be a demand?

I've got the Academy 1/48 EF-111 kit if you need any pics/measurements.  Snagged it at a model show earlier this year as I hadn't seen many around.  I sorta have a thing for SEAD aircraft.  :wub:

Also found this 1/48 resin EF tail on eBay by OzMods.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/OzMods-Models-1-48-EF-111A-TROPHY-TAIL-Resin-Set-/131986524339?hash=item1ebb0288b3:g:uGAAAOSwB09YFNWc 

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

I've got the Academy 1/48 EF-111 kit if you need any pics/measurements.  Snagged it at a model show earlier this year as I hadn't seen many around.  I sorta have a thing for SEAD aircraft.  :wub:

Also found this 1/48 resin EF tail on eBay by OzMods.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/OzMods-Models-1-48-EF-111A-TROPHY-TAIL-Resin-Set-/131986524339?hash=item1ebb0288b3:g:uGAAAOSwB09YFNWc 

Thanks, but I do need to get myself into gear and start buying stuff for this build!

I'l be going with the 1/48th Hobby Boss F-IIIC, have read lots of nice things about it. The Recon mod mostly involves replacing the weapons bay doors with a fixed 1/4 door, and an opening 3/4 door to which gave access to the cameras. That door had to be manually cranked open with a "speed brace" easy on the way door but a tiring/hard bugger on the way up! So the 'new" bay should just drop in without any additional work, there were also 2 video cameras located just behind the nose gear, one pointed down and one mounted pointing forward ~45deg (?). And that should be that.

I may throw some additional resin at it as well, but need to have a look at the model first.

• Like 1

Oops, I misread/misunderstood what you were talking about.  For whatever reason I was thinking you were talking about an EF-111, not a recon package for the F-111.  :bangin:

I'm still hoping to get in on this with the EF-111.  There is a chance, as long as things go fairly smoothly w/ the '70s NATO/Warsaw & Experimental GBs.  Only time will tell...as my track record for completions w/in the allotted time are usually pretty bad.  Add to that I try to finish what I'm working on before moving on to the next one...and before you know it things get stacked up or pushed out the back of the wagon.

• Like 1

:D You sort of had me going at first, but a cup of tea got the brain going. I do like the Spark Vark's and if I hadn't been so keen to build an Oz one that would have been my next choice.

Hmmm next year is going to be a very busy build year for me!!

I noticed on your "on the bench", that you have a Vigilante on the go! I love those things, to the stage I've just acquired one of the old Collect-Aire resin versions!!! Surprisingly a lot cheaper than the Trumpeter one, they're not the easiest to build but can produce quite a nice model. Gosh knows when I'll build that one!

The down side of the hobby boss kit is that the pushing rods  (under a boxed bulge) on the exhausts should have six bulges instead of five.

I don't know if it has been rectified, but my FB-111A has got five.

Cheers,

39 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

I noticed on your "on the bench", that you have a Vigilante on the go! I love those things, to the stage I've just acquired one of the old Collect-Aire resin versions!!! Surprisingly a lot cheaper than the Trumpeter one, they're not the easiest to build but can produce quite a nice model. Gosh knows when I'll build that one!

The 1/48 Trumpy isn't exactly a lick n' stick either.  It's been fighting every step of the way.  I don't want to know how many hours I have buried into it.  :blink:  I guess the 1/72 version has a lot fewer fit issues.

But it's getting there.

DSCF2080.JPG

• Like 2

Oh dear, you do look to have your work cutout for you on that one! I see there are plenty of AM stuff available for them in 1/48th, so i'll have to go shopping at some stage.

Anyway had better get back on topic!! :D

A bulk of the As were SEA camo.

And damn you Rich...I ended up digging out the EF out of the closet last night to paw through the box a bit.  :whistle:  I think I'm going to have to try to find some aftermarket cans.  The kit pieces are a bit meh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

A bulk of the As were SEA camo.

And damn you Rich...I ended up digging out the EF out of the closet last night to paw through the box a bit.  :whistle:  I think I'm going to have to try to find some aftermarket cans.  The kit pieces are a bit meh.

as I suspected, thanks helios

Cans arrived this weekend.  The vendor that had the decals for the UK USAFE Phantoms also had a set of the OzMods pipes & cans.  I'm not planning any other AM for this kit.  So I think I should be set for this and the other GBs I hope to attend next year.  :wicked:

• Like 1

As said above most A models were in SEA camo, however the lower surfaces changed a bit as there were initially in grey FS 36622 and later turned to the black generally associated with later F-111 models. A number of aircrafts for a while carried dark green undersurfaces, I've seen references to this stating FS 34079 (the darker of the upper camo greens) and FS 34087, hard to tell from pictures. Early aircrafts used a light grey over white scheme

• Like 1

I know the esci kit has decals for 2 others aside from the SEA camoed on on the box, suspect they might not be in the early scheme, will find out when it eventually gets here, paypal screwed me over, sent a flippin echeque as a payment so only cleared  yesterday.....be the sellers cheesed off.

welcome aboard....... i'll update the list shortly.

eeek!!! I didn't realise just how big they are in 1/48th!!! Plus the HB box is enormous, but it is full to the brim! These are soooo many extra weapons included, a pity that the Recon bird doesn't carry them...but that won't stop me from building them up for fun....dam another distraction! :doh:

and the list is now up to date, 39 and still counting!

Hi Rich,

Can you add me to the list as well. I have the Hasegawa F-111E of the 20th TFW in the overall grey scheme and I might do an EF-111 as well.

Robert