General Dynamics F-111 STGB Chat

trickyrich

I'm pretty sure there's a thorough build in WiP, too. I've got one of each, thinking perhaps of doing a "monster mash". FB-111 for me, since I used to have them overhead (what fun!) But man, I'm not at all sure I'd be ready to tackle one in a GB. There's time to work up to it, I suppose!

One kit has separate slats/flaps, which is a big plus to me. I figured I'd do one spread out and the other closed up.

bob

Ehhhh, I still need to buy a kit. Luckely it only starts in 2017.

Will have a look around what is available. still not decided if it will be 1/72 or 1/48.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

Count me in - born and bred in Lakenheath, I grew up with the F model. Still remember that night in April1986 when the whole wing launched on Op El Dorado Canyon, I was on leave from my Parachute Regiment basic training...thought that WW3 had started.

I have an Italeri 1/48 E/F model in the stash with Lakenheath decals and some extra decals to choose from.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/it/kit_it_2689.shtml

I had planned to do it earlier, so depending I may be on the look out for a Spark Vark EF model....occasionally saw then up from Heyford.

Any tips on the best EF111A 1/48 kit?

Academy?

Hobbyboss?

Kitech?

or maybe the 1/72 Monogram?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

well you could make an FB-111? :D

ooo goodies as well, sounds interesting...

Well at least I need some new exhausts. The ones in the kit only have five activators and there should have been six.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Managed to get one of these - and have the Upper Heyford Decals to go with it as part of my USAFE project......

s-l300_zpsu3jrujuy.jpg

And one of these in the stash - a Lakenheath Vark will be built!

it_2689_title.jpg

Have a set of this too to go with the Heath bird...

VER1420.jpg

Looks to be a right Varkfest!!

• Like 2

What was the Recce F111?

The RAAF modified 4 F-111's into RF-111's, by fitting high KA-94 camera and low altitude KA-56E panoramic camera, two KA-87 Oblique still cameras (with either 6", 12" or 18" lens's), and an ADD-5 Infra-Red Line Scanner, all fitted into a modified weapons bay. Going from front to back, ADD-5, KA-94, KA-56, then the KA-87's side by side at the back. The ADD-5's had to be re-charged with Nitrogen before each flight (used for the cooling system). These 4 aircraft were unique and were used by 6 Sqn only, I worked on these aircraft.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I like the FB-111 I bought. Although I can't get my of the idea to convert it to a F-111B. I don't even know if there is a conversion for this in 1/48.

I must be nuts. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I like the FB-111 I bought. Although I can't get my of the idea to convert it to a F-111B. I don't even know if there is a conversion for this in 1/48.

I must be nuts. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yeah a F-111B in 1/48th would be very cool.....and you know I'm sure I've seen a conversion kit for sale somewhere recently, of cause now I can't remember!!!!

There are 2 conversion kits in 1/48th that i know of, Custom Aeronautic Miniatures does a nose only and Pete's Hanger does a better one but it's near impossible to find ( a store in Melbourne use to be a distributor for them). You could always custom make one?

• Like 1

Yeah a F-111B in 1/48th would be very cool.....and you know I'm sure I've seen a conversion kit for sale somewhere recently, of cause now I can't remember!!!!

There are 2 conversion kits in 1/48th that i know of, Custom Aeronautic Miniatures does a nose only and Pete's Hanger does a better one but it's near impossible to find ( a store in Melbourne use to be a distributor for them). You could always custom make one?

I just found a conversion from Scaledown. These guys are from Australia (Oxley, queensland)!!!!!!

The only down side is that it is TBA.

Cheers,

P.S. Found this very interesting site. http://tailspintopics.blogspot.nl/2009/10/grumman-f-111b.html

I just found a conversion from Scaledown. These guys are from Australia (Oxley, queensland)!!!!!!

The only down side is that it is TBA.

Cheers,

P.S. Found this very interesting site. http://tailspintopics.blogspot.nl/2009/10/grumman-f-111b.html

that article is really interesting and important if you want to build one. I don't think Scaledown ever got around to doing that mod kit along with quite a few others. The Ozmod's site is the place to get the stuff they did make......I sooo want to get the replacement wings!!!!

http://www.ozmods-kits.com/scaledown-conversions-upgrades-148

They do do a 1/144th F-111B conversion plus all the extras!

• Like 1